It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parkinson's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2004, 06:58 AM   #1
Inactive

joquiero HB User
How long can a person live with Parkinsons??

My father was diagnosed about 2 years ago but he's been displaying symptoms (which the doctor thought was a slipped disk or depression) for about 3 years before his diagnosis.

I hate to be morbid, but how long can a person survive with Parkinsons?? What do Parkinsons sufferers ultimately die of?? Are there any recent advances in Parkinsons treatment??

Last edited by joquiero; 07-07-2004 at 07:03 AM.

Old 07-19-2004, 01:15 PM   #2

Hopalong5us HB User
Re: How long can a person live with Parkinsons??

Dear jouireo,

Parkinson's fortunately is a disease you can live with. The life expectancy of a person with PD vs. a person without PD is only six months differernce. People with PD don't die of PD, they normally succomb to falls, pneumonia, or chocking.
The best you can do is insure you are going to the BEST MOVEMENTS DISORDER NEUROLOGIST you can find whom you feel is competant, capable, and caring. You may have to go to several before you find the right one, but once you do, IT IS A GREAT HELP.

Good luck with your father,

Hoppy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2004, 09:22 PM   #3

u2girl1966 HB User
Re: How long can a person live with Parkinsons??

My dad lived 10 years after he was diagnosed. The last two were the worst. Parkinson's robs you of your personality and your mind. It ages you. My mom pretty much gave up her life to take care of him but it finally got to be too much. We had started looking into nursing homes when he fell one day and broke his hip. He spent the last six months of his life in the hospital. To this day (five years later) I don't know exactly what caused his death (and I've been hesitant to ask my mom), but I'm guessing it was a number of things, complications from the hip replacement surgery, the disease progressing, all the meds he was on, could have been anything.

Not to get too personal, but I hope your parents have excellent insurance. Parkinson's is not a cheap disease to have. The meds alone can brake you. Is your father a veteran? My dad was a WWII vet, and was able to get his meds for all but free from the vets hospital.

How old is your father? And, otherwise, how is his health? I think that will have a lot to do with how long someone can live after diagnosis.

Closed Thread