It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parkinson's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2005, 03:17 PM   #1
(female)

HeidiP32 HB User
What to do?

My mom has had Parkinson's now for quite sometime. She was first diagnosed when she was just 32, and she is now 47. In just the last few years the disease has progressed very quickly. She first had to give up driving, and then a few months ago, had to retire early. Needless to say, it has been one heck of a year. Since she got the disease at such a young age, she is very far along as of right now. What I'm wondering is if anyone has any suggestions about what we can do for her as a family. I'm 24 years old and don't live with my parents any more. I'm an only child, so its just my dad that has to take care of her. He has had to retire so he is able to take care of her. I feel bad for my mom, because it is extremely hard to watch her suffer day in and day out, but I also feel bad for my dad because he is there everyday watching her and supporting her through it all. What can I do for either of my parents?

Old 12-18-2005, 06:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User
Re: What to do?

my dad had parkinsons and my mom was his primary caregiver before he had to go into a nursing home. We swore we would never do that, but caregiving takes a toll! My moms health, which wasn't great to begin with, was suffering, and her emotional state was also suffering. She really appreciated it when I would come over and stay with my dad, just eat or watch TV so she could go out and shop or whatever.....just get away and get a sanity break! Maybe you could offer to spend more time with your mom so your dad can have some time to himself?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2005, 11:20 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

NHone HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeidiP32
My mom has had Parkinson's now for quite sometime. She was first diagnosed when she was just 32, and she is now 47. In just the last few years the disease has progressed very quickly. She first had to give up driving, and then a few months ago, had to retire early. Needless to say, it has been one heck of a year. Since she got the disease at such a young age, she is very far along as of right now. What I'm wondering is if anyone has any suggestions about what we can do for her as a family. I'm 24 years old and don't live with my parents any more. I'm an only child, so its just my dad that has to take care of her. He has had to retire so he is able to take care of her. I feel bad for my mom, because it is extremely hard to watch her suffer day in and day out, but I also feel bad for my dad because he is there everyday watching her and supporting her through it all. What can I do for either of my parents?
My mother has problems caused by her cholesterol medications. I moved home to be around. You dont need to do that. You might just spend some time there. Take some paper work to do there.. Do you laundry there, work on some craft projects. Just being around a litlle even if you don't entertain them is a help. You don't even have to be in the same room. As long as they know you are in the house, it will give them enjoyment. Whatever you don't , don't make yourself miserable for their sake... all of you will feel the tension.

Old 12-19-2005, 07:24 PM   #4
(female)

HeidiP32 HB User

Thank you both for your advice. I try to take my mom out at least once a month just so she can get out of the house and do something. I try to do that also so my dad can have a bit of a break from it all. I'm just trying to do as much as I can and stay possitive. Thanks again.

Old 12-24-2005, 12:12 PM   #5
(female)

TGoodine HB User

Pray for them...God will do the rest.

Closed Thread