It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parkinson's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2007, 02:20 PM   #1
(female)

Worried54 HB User
Does Parkinson Always get worse

Hi Everyone,

I have a quick question, does parkinson always get worse, or does it depend on the person? Thanks for sharing

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2007, 09:57 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

barb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB User
Re: Does Parkinson Always get worse

My husband had PD for well over 25 years and I can tell you from what it did to him and all the other people I met as well that this is a progressive disease. It does not go into remission. You could go for years and years without any major problems, but eventually it will get worse. The best thing to do is keep busy and continue on with your life as it is. Exercise is also very good and water therapy is helpful. You didn't mention if you have this or someone you are inquiring about. How long has the disease been present and how old is the individual? I'm sure you can get more answers if we have more information.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2007, 10:55 AM   #3
(female)

Sandal916 HB User

Hi, that's the exact question I asked my neurologist and she looked at me and said "Yes, it does." I consider myself one of the "lucky ones" because I was diagnosed 3-1/2 years ago at age 41 and am still not on any medication. It's progressing very slowly, but is just starting to get bothersome. I work as a secretary and typing and writing are getting more difficult, so it won't be long before I have to give in to the meds.

Old 02-08-2007, 02:17 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

barb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB User

Sounds like you are doing quite well. Another thing I always encourage people to do is to join a support group. I really believe in them and found so much information from many sources and people.
Water therapy is supposed to be of great help if you have the time and can find a class specially for PD and also exercise groups for PD can help.

Old 02-08-2007, 06:46 PM   #5
(male)

oaktreefarm HB User

Dear worried54, i recommend you check on you health insurance status before going to see a neurologist and having your medical record documented as Parkinson's diag. hopefully it is not but if it is tremor at rest maybe PD, get someone to watch you when you walk and see if affected arm does not swing like your normal arm. I was aware of that and neurol. had me walk down hall and he immediatelynoticed and said was PD. think positive could be worse, lots of folks worse off than me and you as well, if you don't have much pain be thankful. i hear some people PD progresses slowly lets hope we are in that group. oaktreefarm

Closed Thread