It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parkinson's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2007, 02:21 PM   #1
(female)

4Maui HB User
Question Skin barrier/wafer problems

I am a caregiver for my father who recently had a colostomy operation. The sticky skin barrier/wafer does not stick to skin for long. He gets fecal matter under wafer which gets red and itchy. Father is worried he'll get an infection on his skin. Stoma is not on top. Is there another kind of skin barrier that does not get loose? I've changed him at least 3 to 4 times a week. One barrier suppose to last 1 week. He wears a colostomy belt too but the fecal matter pushes out sometimes. Medicare will pay for only 10 wafers a month. What can I do? (Father also has Parkinson's Disease and is not able to change himself. I did not find a message board for a "Colostomy" issue)

Last edited by 4Maui; 05-01-2007 at 03:02 AM. Reason: Could not find a "Colostomy" message board, but my father does have Parkinson's Disease.

Old 05-24-2007, 10:30 PM   #2
(female)

Suzi Q HB User
Re: Skin barrier/wafer problems

1st of all there is a number you can call and talk to a ostomy Nurse. Look on the box of the supplies or in the papers inside the box. they are very helpful and can even send you sample supplies to try different options out until you find what works for you.

The colostmy dressing lasts about a week at best not on average. You had said that his stoma wasn't on top. does that mean it doesn't stick out? if that is the case he might need to have that looked at. The stoma should protrude at least a little.

there are different type of waifers and creams that will/can help with his non sticking issues.

I can try to answer any other questions you might have. I stumbled upon your thread by accident so I Hope you still check up on this site.

good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2007, 01:54 AM   #3
(female)

4Maui HB User

To Suzi Q:Thanks for replying to my post. I have talked to my father's health nurse, she has given us some samples and sticky wipes but nothing changed. Within 1 week, I used 5 wafer dressings. He is allowed only 10 wafers to be covered by medicare for the month. I have already paid out privately for more wafers. This is very costly for my father. Is there an alternate or a way to make your own wafers so I can make a complete dressing change daily? (Like an extral large band-aid and cut a hole for the bag) And yes his stoma is sunken in, perhaps that is one of the reasons the fecal matters slips under the tape.

Old 05-27-2007, 12:55 PM   #4
(female)

Suzi Q HB User

yeah, it is crazy how expensive all the suppies are. Have you tried calling convatec or hollister directly (or whatever other supply brand he is using)? I have found that to be the most helpful way to figure stuff out. Have you told his doctor that his stoma is going in? It is my understanding that it would need to be fixed if it did that.

so does it just not stick well or does the stool seap under and make the waifer unstick? If the stool is going under then try using something like "eakin cohesive seals." They are a modable ring that sticks to your skin and the waifer. it has helped me to keep my stool away from my skin.

also try cutting the opening on the waifer larger.

as to the itchy part that could be yeast making a rash too. if that is the case then you need to get a perscription for some nystantin powder or cream, depending on where it is.

Is his stool really runny? Runny stool would definutly cause a problem with the waifer sticking. Try having him eat things to thicken up his stool like potatoes, rice, bananas. If his stool is too thick and that is what is causing the problem then have him avoid/limit the things I just mentioned and he could eat things like beans and artichokes. The list is a lot longer but I need to look it up again to refresh my memory.

good luck

Last edited by Suzi Q; 05-27-2007 at 12:57 PM.

Old 05-27-2007, 01:57 PM   #5
(female)

Suzi Q HB User

you could also type "UOAA discussion board" in and do a search. (UOAA stands for United Ostomy Associations of America) It will help you find a cite that is just for people with Ostomies. that is usually where I go when I have Colostomy questions. Any other health related questions I come to this health board cite.

Old 05-29-2007, 02:27 AM   #6
(female)

4Maui HB User

Aloha Suzi Q!
The doctor said stoma's can be above or below. It was thought to be temporary until the surgery on his instestines heal and all can be reversed to normal. But after a few months, the doctor said she wouldn't recommend a reversal because of his parkinson's and his age (84yrs old). He may not survive another surgery.
Anyways, I have tried cutting the hole larger, using that sticky moldable stuff, pastes and wipes and no luck.
A few times the stool was runny, and sometimes he had it more dry/hard...then I gave him Metamucil which soften it up but still...somehow it creeps under. He is now using Hollister (New Image).
The doctor gave him Nustop for the rash...that helped it.
I wonder if I could just tape the bag rim down without the wafer somehow...?
You know, my mom saw my dad pushing on his bag the other day. He said he is only helping the puffiy bag to go down. Maybe it is also forcing the stool to go under the tape?
I"ll check out this Ostomy association you mentioned. Perhaps they can also recommed recipies. Thanks.

Closed Thread