It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parkinson's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2007, 12:19 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

WannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB User
Parkinsons and Seroquel...

Hi to everyone,

I used to post on this board 6 -9 months ago. My father has alzheimers and parkinsons. He is 80 yrs and got moved into a nh about 3 months ago.

Here is what I would like yalls knowledge and experience on. When my dad was moved, from home, to hospital and then to nh, he had to pick (my mom and sister really) a new dr. Now the new dr. keeps giving my dad Seroquel, which is an antipsychotic. He says that it is to keep him from tremors, that are really big jerks, every so often.

The dr. put him on it in the first place, to control a little agression or not wanting to be there and with those new people. I asked him to give him less, as it makes him sleepy and groggy. He did for about 1 week. Now they have him back on the Seroquel, but just 25 mgs, in the evening. But it still affects him in the am and if he is given it at 4 pm, he misses out on some activities sometimes.

Ok, to much info. Do any of you know why this dr. gives an alz/parkinsons patient an antipsychotic like Seroquel? Is there not something else (like a parkinsons drug) that would work better?

Also, my dad is being taken on Wed. to a new neurologist (for some reason the nh and new dr. cannot use the old one). I am afraid if they do to many tests or procedures, that it will cause him to become worse. Any changes with alz. people, upsets them.

Well, thanks for listening and I gratefully await any replies or help.

Wannabe

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2007, 05:08 PM   #2
(female)

darrat HB User
Re: Parkinsons and Seroquel...

From what I understand doctors give anti-psychotic drugs to people with PD because in the middle and late stages of PD it causes them to become delusional and have symptoms of psychosis. Don't know if that is what is happening with your dad or not.

Old 06-12-2007, 10:09 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

WannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB User
Re: Parkinsons and Seroquel...

Hi again,

Just to bump up this question. I did receive one reply and appreciate this help. Does anyone else have any knowledge of this question, or know great site where I can research the use of Seroquel (an antipsychiotic (sp)), for use in a patient in a nh with Parkinsons. The dr and nurses say they are using it to control his big jerks/not small tremors. It just makes him so groggy and sleepy and he cannot always do his pt.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Wannabe

Closed Thread