It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parkinson's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2007, 10:54 AM   #1
(female)

Worried54 HB User
Amantadine

Anyone taking Amantadine? I have a slight tremor and some mild cramping, the Dr suggested that I take Amantadine, 100 mg 2x a day. Any side effects? Thanks.....

Old 06-28-2007, 10:27 AM   #2
(female)

Barbbelle HB User
Re: Amantadine

Hi! My Mother takes Amantadine for fatigue. She is still incredibly active for being a 75 yr old with Parkinson's and she just doesn't want to sit around. Amantadine has helped with her fatigue and it has kept her from getting the flu for over 3 years. She gets a slight dry mouth from it, but otherwise no side effects. Hope this helps you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2007, 11:05 AM   #3
(female)

Worried54 HB User

If you don't mind me asking, how long has your mother had PD? What are her symptoms? Thanks.....

Old 06-29-2007, 06:36 PM   #4
(female)

Barbbelle HB User

Hi again! She has had PD for about 13 years. She has a pretty pronounced tremor in one arm and that makes it difficult for her to write, etc. But, like I said before, she is amazing. Just like the ever-ready bunny...just keeps going strong. She does take a nap in the afternoon, and that gives her the lift that she needs to make dinner, go to shows, etc. She helps at her church, has alot of friends, runs around after my Dad and always making food for somebody and loves to shop. She takes a multi-vitamen, calcium pills and her PD meds a few times a day and really doesn't like to take pills. She is really faithful taking everything because she realizes that life seems to be better with it all. Amantadine included. You can see why she doesn't mind taking that! If you can, ask your doc for some samples and see if it helps you before you have to fork out money for it. Take care and good luck with your decision~

Old 07-15-2007, 04:16 PM   #5
(male)

davos HB User

amantadine is the only prescription i take for PD. a fellow parkie said he has not had a cold or flu in l5 years; i have not had a cold or flu the 3 years i have been taking it. the reason i take it is to reduce tremor, it helps,
i take 3 x l00 mg daily usually considered maximum dose. mail order cost $.40 per l00 mg. recently more as people wrongly taking it for flu cure and treatment .... it is effective for some types flu. ive had no adverse side effects,

Old 08-25-2007, 07:13 PM   #6
(male)

@ease HB User
Smile Re: Amantadine

Hi, I've been taking 100mg twice a day for 3 years. I also experience dry mouth once in awhile, but nothing too serious. I also take carb/levo, amitriptylin and comtan, so I'm not always sure which medication is giving me a particular side effect. I also have not had a single cold or flu since I've been treated for Parkinson's and I used to get sick all the time. Even when I am around friends and family who are sick, I never catch it (knock on wood). Good luck with your treatment!

Old 09-07-2007, 10:17 AM   #7
(female)

GranEEjay8 HB User

I have been on amantidine for about 5 years, have had PD for 11 years. My MDS has just taken me off. Number one to see how I do with out it and number two, my legs from the knee down are discolored and I started having like purple like road maps on my legs and my legs would ache. She said these are all caused from the amantidine. I had two choices, I could live with it or we could try getting off of it and see what happens. Been off for about eight weeks now and am doing OK but legs still bad, but she said it could take up to four months for it to really clear and I may not get rid of all of it. Dispite all of this it did serve it's purpus and helped me for a long time. I should tell you too, that I was on it for a long time, about four years before I started having problems with my legs and that I had NO other side effects. Joan

Old 12-18-2007, 08:32 PM   #8
(male)

Spur1 HB User

My wife was on Amantadine for 6 years for early stage Parkinsons. The effects of this ,combined with Eldepryl, reduced tremor, but over time her conditions worsened. Particularly she suffered from 'leopard legs' and dry mouth/ awful throat infection. Also her ankles were swollen to twice normal size.

Neuro substituted Sinement, and gradual (4 days) reduction of Amantadine to zero. The symptoms actually worsened . Less mobility, difficulty cutting food, accentuated tremors on both sides - and some loss of bladder control.

We both hope and pray this is a temporary withdrawal effect and that the Sinemet will kick in.

Conclusion : Amantadine worked for us, but the usefulness diminished and the side effects were increasingly significant.

Last edited by Spur1; 12-18-2007 at 08:34 PM.

Old 05-31-2008, 04:06 AM   #9
(female)

Rockford68 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worried54 View Post
Anyone taking Amantadine? I have a slight tremor and some mild cramping, the Dr suggested that I take Amantadine, 100 mg 2x a day. Any side effects? Thanks.....
I tried Amantadine at 100 mg 3 x a day and it surely helped my tremors. However, I developed insomnia. With the Dr. suggestion, I now take 1 100 mg at noon, with my Requip and Azilect. Life is better. I am not exhausted during the day nor up all night!

Closed Thread