It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parkinson's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2008, 03:22 AM   #1
(female)

thegirlfromaust HB User
PD treatments? Coenzime CQ10, stem cell treatment, and acupuncture?

Hi everyone,

My husband has been diagnosed with early PD and our world is upside down.

Looking for hope, I have been encountering the following information and web sites, and I would really appreciate your feedback on them:

1. stem cell treatment in Germany Cologne.

2. acupuncture treatment.

3. Coenzime CQ10 on [url]http://www.ninds.nih.gov/news_and_events/press_releases/pressrelease_parkinsons_coenzymeq10_1014 02.htm[/url]

Would any of the above really offer relief?

Regards,

Last edited by moderator2; 08-15-2008 at 05:30 AM. Reason: posted disallowed website(s)

Old 08-15-2008, 04:00 PM   #2
(male)

NerveEnding HB UserNerveEnding HB User
Re: PD treatments? Coenzime CQ10, stem cell treatment, and acupuncture?

1) Stem cell treatment has the potential to be very effective, but it is still in the experimental stages. Even if you can get the cell to produce dopamine, you have to get the cell to the right location, and you have to be able to turn it off.

2) Acupuncture has been studied a little bit in PD; there are no studies that have shown any benefit of acupuncture in PD. People may tell you it has helped them, but in rigorous scientific settings, no benefit has been seen.

3) CoQ10 has been shown to be beneficial. The dose that was effective was 400mg 3x/day. The benefit is modest at best, and the drug can be expensive, but it can be useful.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2009, 05:51 AM   #3
(female)

swelloldlady HB User
Re: PD treatments? Coenzime CQ10, stem cell treatment, and acupuncture?

I was diagnosed a year ago and so far take mirapex. Except for tremor and its interference with speed typing on my Mac plus some problems with my drawing and painting (I'm an artist and writer), I feel terrific. I take a lot of supplemens and believe that NADH has helped. I just started Dr. Perlmtter's NeuroActive Brain Sustain a week ago and have seldom felt so great in my life.

I m considering glutathione shots. Dr. David Perlmutter's office will teach my husband to administer these.

Are there other, newer treatments that help people postpone or avoid moving through Phases II and III?

Closed Thread