It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parkinson's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2008, 08:17 AM   #1
(female)

kaykay63 HB User
RLS or parkinsons?

Hello,
I just am wondering if anybody out there is experiencing what I have been putting up with for quite some time. In the evening when I sit down in the recliner, ny feet feel like they're asleep. Sometimes this would last for a few hours and often last even after I would try to go to bed. My doc said it is not RLS, but rather a medication problem. It is very frustrating! I was diagnosed with Parkinsons eight years ago. For the most part my meds control the tremors etc. I don't mind telling you though, sometimes I feel way older than I am! I only know one other person who has Parkinsons so i really don't have anybody who understands. I hope I hear from somebody.
kaykay63

Old 09-12-2008, 05:05 PM   #2
(male)

oldcow HB User
Re: RLS or parkinsons?

Hi, My feet also feel like they are asleep. They tingle, feel numb, tightness or aching pain. This started on my left side initially and spread to the other side, following my PD
progression. (this is most likely to occure when my feet are up and I am sitting in a recliner for a period of time). When i turn my feet inwardly it occures more frequently. If I walk about every 15 mintes is does not occure, (usually). I think this is due to muscle rigidity of PD. It definitly is not RLS. I do not think PD drug cause this !! It could be due to some outside cause, as neuropathy, MS, sciatic nerve damage, dystonia, etc., etc.

Take care
John g

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2008, 06:27 PM   #3
(male)

oldcow HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay63 View Post
Hello,
I just am wondering if anybody out there is experiencing what I have been putting up with for quite some time. In the evening when I sit down in the recliner, ny feet feel like they're asleep. Sometimes this would last for a few hours and often last even after I would try to go to bed. My doc said it is not RLS, but rather a medication problem. It is very frustrating! I was diagnosed with Parkinsons eight years ago. For the most part my meds control the tremors etc. I don't mind telling you though, sometimes I feel way older than I am! I only know one other person who has Parkinsons so i really don't have anybody who understands. I hope I hear from somebody.
kaykay63
Hi,
I'm back.Had to take my meds.
Does this foot problem occure when your PD meds are wearing off ?? If it does then you might try taking an extra dose or adjusting the times you take your meds. Check with
your Dr. first, before making any change !!
Some PD meds can cause swelling (edema) of the feet and ankles. Sitting for long periods can also cuse edema.
I have run across several people with PD who suffer from foot problems like mine,(and yours).
PD additionly brings out symptoms of other disorders.

Hope this helpes. Sorry I could not *** up with a better answer.

Take care
John g

Old 09-20-2008, 01:55 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

sunshine221 HB User

Have you had a spinal MRI? Could be a stenosis in the spinal cord and/or herniated disks.

Old 10-12-2008, 10:01 AM   #5
(female)

lorraine08 HB User

hi Kay i am 58 just bin told i have pd i would like to hear some thing good all i here is the negetive i am finding it hard to except that i have pd but i am doing my best sometimes looking it up on the internet can make you worse .My docter said no two people have it the same .my name is Kay and i am from Ireland

Old 10-13-2008, 02:13 PM   #6
(female)

kaykay63 HB User

Hi Lorraine '08,
I'm sorry to hear you have PD. One bit of good news is that in many cases PD progresses slowly over a number of years. Also when the time comes that PD interferes with your quality of life, PD can most often be managed with medication. I'm certainly not happy I have PD but I can live with it. A lot of times you're the only one who realizes the extent of your suffering .
Good luck . I hope you get along ok.
Kaykay 63

Old 10-14-2008, 04:39 AM   #7
(female)

lorraine08 HB User

Hi Kay here Lorraines mammythanks for your reply it is good to get a good response sadly i was just reading all the sad stories and it was making me depressed.i will just have to look on the bright side it could be worse regards Kay.

Closed Thread