It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parkinson's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2008, 09:37 AM   #1
(female)

sponge70 HB User
Balance Problems

i have a have a problem with my balance and speech. i was diagnosed with parkinsons this past june. i'm 76 years old and i need to walk with a walker.
does sound familiar to anyone. i have a slight tremor in my right hand and have a problem writing.
thank you
sponge

Old 09-12-2008, 06:42 PM   #2
(male)

oldcow HB User
Cool Re: Balance Problems

Hi Sponge70,
Sounds like me. I am 61 years old and have had PD for 25 plus years. I use a walker when i'm in down time and a cane when I'm in up-time. My balance is not so good.
My speech is variable, sometimes one can hardly hear and understand me. I have dysarthria--disturbed or weak
control of the muscles of speech.
I also have a slight tremor, but it's not bothersome.
Again I have writing problems. (microphasia).
Plus many other symptoms!

Take care
John g

Last edited by oldcow; 09-12-2008 at 11:09 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2008, 10:36 AM   #3
(female)

sponge70 HB User
Re: Balance Problems

hi john g.i am happy to find someone like me. i was on requip and it did nothing for me. now i'm on sinemet three times a day. so far i don't feel better. i don't have any down time i always feel the same. i go out once a week, my son takes me shopping. i'm so depresed i don't even want to talk on phone. are you on medication.
sponge

Old 09-13-2008, 02:32 PM   #4
(female)

windwalkerwest HB User

Hi Sponge,

I also have a problem with balance but have not used a cane (which I probably should) or a walker. Couple weeks ago I fell and bruised three ribs while trying to put on shoes standing up (I should have known better). I m 64 year old female, PD started about 10 years ago. I've fallen several other times and hurt myself.

I have been taking sinemet for about 2 years. Requip didn't do anything for me. I started out with 25/100 three times a day but that didn't do much good, then Dr. said try two at a time 3 times per day and that worked great. However, I did cut back later and now take 1/2 of a 25/250 pill 3 times a day which works out to be 12.5/125). That is getting me by but have some dyskinesia now. I don't want to take a bunch of different meds, I see some people are on a lot of different things.

I also have depression now and again, but just wait it out and it usually lightens up after a week or two. I still have a low grade depression most of the time though, I think. I don't want to do much. The worse I feel physically, the more depressed I get. I have a lot of rigidity, fatigue, balance problems, dexterity, soft voice, aches and pains, foot cramps and so forth. I find taking a nap when I take my noon meds helps a lot. The sinemet doesn't work as well after two years as it did at first. Have you tried taking anti-depressants? That might help you. You can always try something and if it doesn't work, try something else. I guess my philosophy is the more you know, the more able you are to make your own decisions about your care and treatment.

It is hard to accept that you have PD. It took me a long time but now I have accepted it for the most part. Still have some bad days though. It makes it easier to bear.

Hope this isn't too long winded!

Betty

Old 09-13-2008, 06:36 PM   #5
(female)

sponge70 HB User

betty, thanks for the answer. i had a problem with my balance for years, i thought it was inner ear. i did not see a doctor until this past june. i was shocked that i had parkinsons. my sister in law gave me her walker and i thought i would'nt use it. now i can't do without it. i just started on the sinemet last week. how long does it take to work.
irene

Old 09-13-2008, 07:39 PM   #6
(female)

windwalkerwest HB User

Irene,

It took about a month for the sinemet to work if I remember, but I really noticed the difference when I took 2 each 25/100 pills three times a day. I think I started the higher dosage after a couple weeks on the one pill three times a day because the one pill wasn't doing anything for me. Give it some time. The sinemet did make me feel queasy for awhile and I didn't feel like eating anything. That went away. I drink a glass of juice with my pill in the AM and maybe a cracker or two with other doses. Best to take it an hour before meals, not on a full stomach (for me anyway). The sinemet also made me a little sleepy at first. Some say take it with meals and some say one hour before - - probably ask your Dr.

Anyway, I started walking like normal again and my left arm started swinging when I walked. I could stand up straight, and didn't feel so tired. I felt great!

What dosage are you taking? I am taking the generic sinemet carbo/levodopa (not sure that's spelled right, don't have the bottle in front of me).

Betty

Old 09-14-2008, 11:15 AM   #7
(female)

sponge70 HB User

Hi,
I'm Taking The Same Dosage That You Are Of Generic Sinemet. I Started Last Week Taking One Two Times A Day, This Week I Started To Take One Three Times A Day. So I Have'nt Been Taking Them For Long. The Re Quip Gave Me Stomach Pains. I Have Acid Reflux And I Am Hoping These Pills Don't Bother My Stomach. I Also Take A Low Dose Of Xanax. I'm Waiting For My Antideprssents To Come In The Mail.
Be Careful When You Walk.
Irene

Old 09-14-2008, 11:15 AM   #8
(female)

sponge70 HB User

Hi,
I'm Taking The Same Dosage That You Are Of Generic Sinemet. I Started Last Week Taking One Two Times A Day, This Week I Started To Take One Three Times A Day. So I Have'nt Been Taking Them For Long. The Re Quip Gave Me Stomach Pains. I Have Acid Reflux And I Am Hoping These Pills Don't Bother My Stomach. I Also Take A Low Dose Of Xanax. I'm Waiting For My Antideprssents To Come In The Mail.
Irene

Old 09-14-2008, 02:32 PM   #9
(female)

sponge70 HB User

Hi,
Irene

Old 09-14-2008, 05:47 PM   #10
(male)

oldcow HB User

Hi sponge,
I take Stalevo 150. 1 tab every 4 hours: Sinemet 25/100, 1/2 tab as needed up to 4 doses per day.
Plus Zoloft 50 mg daily.

John g

Old 09-14-2008, 10:35 PM   #11
(male)

oldcow HB User

Hi,
It is recomended that Sinemet be taken 1 hour before meals for max. benefit. It should be taken with a full galss of watwer or juice. I take it with orange juice and have found that I get a faster onset of action. When I first started taking it, I got nauseated; the nausea went away within a few weeks. A cracker is a good idea to take with Sinemet
if it causes stomach upset.

John g

Old 09-15-2008, 02:55 PM   #12
(female)

sponge70 HB User

hi,
i have acid reflux and have to take pills with food. otherwise my stomach burns. some antibiotics bother me too.
irene

Old 09-15-2008, 07:00 PM   #13
(male)

oldcow HB User

Hi sponge,
In your case with acid reflex, taking Sinemet with food is ok. The onset of action will be slower. I don't think it realy maters that much in the overal outcome.
John g

Old 09-16-2008, 10:45 AM   #14
(female)

sponge70 HB User

john g
do you use a walker or a cane. the cane does nothing for me, i need a walker. my right hand shakes so i have a problem writing. i also have a problem taking a shower. my niece comes over to help. i was always indepedent and it really bugs me for someone to things for me. my son takes me shopping once a week and i'm fine as long i can hang on to cart.
sponge

Old 09-16-2008, 10:30 PM   #15
(male)

oldcow HB User

Hi sponge,
I use a cane when I go out of the house. It helps my balancing problem. I
use my walker for inside the house when I am expierencing "downtime." A shoppiing cart is great for walking about a store. I can still walk on my own, but I play it safe.
I never had tremors with my PD. Handwriting is diffficult due to
rigidity in my hands and arms.
I hower by myself. I still can drive safley but I don't due to liability reasons.
I am very dependent upon my PD meds. Without them I shuffle about, feel lousey, depressed, and weak and tired.
John g

Last edited by oldcow; 09-16-2008 at 10:44 PM. Reason: additional info.

Closed Thread