It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parkinson's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2008, 10:28 AM   #1
(female)

purpletrail HB User
Does this Sound Like Parkinson's Disease?

I am new here. My husband and I are in the middle of the "diagnosis" saga. Here are his symptoms: He has a hand tremor of his pointer and third finger that upon evaluation is both a resting tremor and a postural tremor. It has significant magnitude in the mid day and he actually needs to hold the hand during business meetings to stop the tremor. He is keeping a log of the tremor and notes that it is greater after coffee and lessens if he drinks alcohol. It also increase when he is upset or excited and lessens after exercise.
I have also noticed that he is starting to walk like his 92 year old mother, with a slight lean forward and more rigid. This is odd, since he is an avid runner and biker.
Other possible P.D. symptoms are his tendency to fall and herky jerky movements at times. Otherwise, he is a very young, fit appearing 62 year old.
His risk for P.D. is greatly increased, 11 times according to the Mayo study, due to a head injury ten years ago. He was hit by a drunk driver and suffered a brain bleed in the back of the head, was unconscious for about 40 minutes and had amnesia for 24 hours. He has residual short term memory problems.
At this point, he has been evaluated by an endocrinologist to see if it is a thyroid problem. He has been on thyroid medication since the accident, since it somehow caused an underactive thyroid. The endocrinologist said the tremor was not due to his thryroid.
The earliest appointment we can find at a large medical center's Parkinson's clinic is still 6 weeks out. Very Frustrating!
So.... does this sound like early P.D. to you, or something else? Any input is greatly appreciated!!
Holly

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2008, 09:15 AM   #2
(female)

purpletrail HB User
Re: Does this Sound Like Parkinson's Disease?

Does anyone have a comment on this one?
Holly

Old 10-22-2008, 03:04 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

sunshine221 HB User

Sounds possible. Has he been tried on any PD meds? What the doc told me (at age 47) that the "good news" is that there are meds to keep things under control - I hate taking meds but............ Good luck and let us know what the doctor tells you.

sunshine

Old 10-24-2008, 10:02 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User

Is he on statin medication? These could worsen his symptoms.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:06 AM   #5
(female)

purpletrail HB User

Thanks for your responses!

He is not on Statin medications or any Parkinson's meds. His only medication is levothyroxin for his thyroid.

The Parkinson's clinic moved up his appointment to the 18th of November when we threatened to just show up at the emergency room for their medical center, so he could at least be seen. I still think that we should have done that. Maybe we would know a little more by now.

I just hope that he can find a medication to controll his symptoms. Having a visible neurological disorder is not an option with our business.

Thanks,
Holly

Closed Thread