It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parkinson's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2008, 09:45 AM   #1
(female)

sponge70 HB User
Excerise

What Kind Of Excercise Is Good To Do Besides Walking. I Need A Walker To Walk. Is There Anything Else I Could Do. I Feel That My Legs Are Getting Weaker.
Sponge

Old 10-22-2008, 03:01 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

sunshine221 HB User
Re: Excerise

Check with perhaps your doctor, office of the aging, or Y to see if there is a PD exercise class. Can you perhaps use light leg weights and do leg lifts? As doctor for referal for physical therapy. Good luck and stay as active as you can!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2008, 03:02 PM   #3
(female)

newbrunswick HB User
Re: Excerise

Sponge - I don't know if you enjoy swimming - even if you are just hanging onto the ledge and kicking your legs. Even sitting down, raise your legs and lower them. Doing this numerous times a day a couple of raises is better then doing a whole bunch at one time and then getting worn out. Even if you raise you knee and move your foot can help. Remember though, you do not want to make this painful - always check with your doctor to ensure you can do this.

I hear you about getting weaker - I use a walker too, but so far am able to remain mobile. However, I do try to move my legs as much as possible as I find if I remain still it gets worse and stiff. If you can see a physiotherapist - they can help design a workout that allows you to work at your capabilities.

In the meantime, any movement you CAN do, I would encourage this. I like dancing on days I can't get out due to weather - Even when I just hang onto the wall for support and move my body - lift my feet - any movement that feels good will help. Anything I do that hurts I stop.

Just my own opinion.

Closed Thread