It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parkinson's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2009, 03:00 PM   #1
(female)

clsc HB User
Sinemet Dosing Question

Hi, I've read a lot of the threads posted here before I decided to post this. I am on a dialup connection and it takes a long time for each page to load. I can't just click on a thread and have it come up for me to read. I can actually get up and get a few minutes worth of work done in the kitchen waiting for a page to load so please forgive me (for not searching the threads again) so I started this thread to ask:

What's the usual amount of time to wait between Sinemet doses? My husband is prescribed it 3 times per day. (25/100) No instructions about times were given. He seems to want to stretch it out over 7:30 AM and midnight each day. I tend to think he would feel better if he took the doses a little closer together than 6/7 hours.

But I'm not trying to change his mind. I'm only suggesting that he not take his medication with a huge protein meal, rather take it before a big meal or an hour after.

How many hours does the generic Sinemet last for others? He is 62 and has probably had PD for at least 2 years, (only diagnosed 3 weeks ago) and showed a couple of early symptoms of it as long as 5 -6 years ago.

Last edited by clsc; 02-15-2009 at 03:02 PM.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:54 PM   #2
(female)

clsc HB User
Re: Sinemet Dosing Question

Well, on the followup appointment the doc now is giving him the Controlled Release Sinemet to take at night so he will feel smooth until morning and not experience such a big "off" I guess you could say. That's in addition to the 3 x daily Sinemet I already posted about and the Azilect.

He got it filled but hasn't started taking it yet. Didn't get any feedback on this first post I made, but from reading the board & what others have posted, seems that some people don't feel that adding more medication especially late in the day is always effective? He's still getting used to what he started with 3 1/2 weeks ago.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2009, 07:40 PM   #3
(female)

clsc HB User

Well, it seems I'm posting to myself here, but since this thread has had over 100 views, hopefully someone is reading it, & will comment with some thoughts to give me their viewpoints.

Since I last posted, he did decide to start the CR Sinemet at night. The first night he said he felt "wired" and had a hard time sleeping but the next day he had his best day ever! Then last night he took it again and today, he also had a *very* good day. I'm encouraged. He's said that he thinks he's recovered a certain something of his personality that he hasn't felt in a very long time.

I wonder if others have had results like this when they started medication. Or if the Controlled Release is part of feeling better or is it that he's passing the 1 month mark after diagnosis and beginning to take medication.

My best to everyone else who is trying to cope with this.

CLSC

Old 03-16-2009, 01:46 PM   #4
(female)

clsc HB User

Does anyone else has a lot of pain and aching in their muscles when they first wake up and try to move-- or after getting up from having been immobile for a while (such as watching TV or napping)?

Before taking the medication this was *not* the norm.

But he does have a disk problem in his back (& had surgery Mar/08) so we wonder if that's mucking things up. Then again, it would not account for the all-over muscle pain I don't think.

Has anyone experimented with their Sinemet dosing to see if they would have fewer side effects? He went without the night-time Control-Release Sinemet as a test. No problems at night but getting going the next day was harder. We think the CR Sinemet, taken at 11 PM or as late as midnight may be having an effect in the AM when he takes his morning IR Sinemet. If the 2 doses are overlapping, it seems to help get the day started.

Please post, those of you who are able, who might know about whether the aching and the pain (which happens after a period of inactivity) are a side effect of Sinemet or any other medication you might be taking. This was not something he had much of at all before starting medication.

Last edited by clsc; 03-16-2009 at 01:48 PM. Reason: corrections

Old 03-27-2009, 11:33 AM   #5
(male)

Jack Pollitt HB User

Getting up in the morning and being stiff and sore is something you are probably going to have to get used to. I was diagnosed with pd 5 years ago and I can tell you some mornings are pd are a real challange.Recently my doctor put me on Requip XL at night.It has helped better than anything else we have tried. I am still stiff but it seeems I loosen up quicker,it also takes care of restless leg that I have.

Old 04-21-2009, 03:31 PM   #6
(female)

lmass1951 HB User

I was recently put on 25/100 Carbidopha/Levodopha CR 4 times a day. I still have tremors. Does this mean I need more or less of the medicine? I was diagnosed in January 2009 after having symptoms for 3 years.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:25 PM   #7
(female)

clsc HB User

LMass1951,

You were put on the CR version of Sinemet 4 times per day? Other than tremors does it help with the other symptoms? Does anyone else take it (Controlled Release) like this? LMass, I don't know anything about whether tremors are helped by Sinemet but wish you much luck in finding something that does, be it the right dosage or combination meds.

Exactly how long does Sinemet CR last? We have gotten so many different answers when asking.

My husband seems to feel smoother at night when he's on his CR Sinemet. So he asked the doctor about taking that in the daytime also instead of the Instant Release but the doctor told him, it would overlap too much because it lasts for 18 hours! (that seemed a bit long to me) So he's been asking pharmacists, and gotten so many different answers. One said the CR worked only 4 to 6 hours. (Told my husband maybe she was busy and actually looking at the literature for the IR).

Last weekend my husband did an experiment and went off all medication to see how he would do. It was slow at first but I said we should go out walking and the more he moved, the better he felt.

But since he had to work Monday morning, he took a CR pill Sunday night then back to regular dosing Monday morning. He actually had a pretty good weekend without medication but I insisted we stay busy, so it was a real active weekend in spite of no medication.

Last edited by clsc; 04-28-2009 at 06:26 PM.

Old 05-23-2009, 01:50 PM   #8
(female)

clsc HB User

A change in Sinemet dosing for my husband's medications:

He's now taking 1 Controlled Release Sinemet in the morning and 1 at might (midnight).

He takes 3 of the regular 25/100 Sinemet pills per day besides that.

But now he's starting to experience the side effects of involuntary movements. He's not happy with this, and trying to decide what to do. The doctor has said to come in and he might be able to give him something else or "tweak" the meds again.

I feel he was getting so much help from the Sinemet before he started the CR dose along with the other daytime doses. Does anyone know if one cuts back on dosage a little, whether these side effects will disappear?

Last edited by clsc; 05-25-2009 at 04:49 AM. Reason: error /another error!

Old 05-23-2009, 03:32 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

sunshine221 HB User

I just switched from Reqip 1mg 3/d to Sinemet 25/100 3/d. The Sinemet only seems to last me about 5 hours so I don't get through the day with it. I have an appointment in July and hope to do an adjustment. On the other hand I have virtually no tremor and when the medicine is "on" I walk the best I have in months.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:25 AM   #10
(female)

lmass1951 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsc View Post
LMass1951,
Hi, I have been taking the 25/100 Sinemet 4 times a day and the tremors are getting better. I do notice that after 4 hours I start to see the tremors return. I think the medicine is supposed to last about 5 hours.

Linda
You were put on the CR version of Sinemet 4 times per day? Other than tremors does it help with the other symptoms? Does anyone else take it (Controlled Release) like this? LMass, I don't know anything about whether tremors are helped by Sinemet but wish you much luck in finding something that does, be it the right dosage or combination meds.

Exactly how long does Sinemet CR last? We have gotten so many different answers when asking.

My husband seems to feel smoother at night when he's on his CR Sinemet. So he asked the doctor about taking that in the daytime also instead of the Instant Release but the doctor told him, it would overlap too much because it lasts for 18 hours! (that seemed a bit long to me) So he's been asking pharmacists, and gotten so many different answers. One said the CR worked only 4 to 6 hours. (Told my husband maybe she was busy and actually looking at the literature for the IR).

Last weekend my husband did an experiment and went off all medication to see how he would do. It was slow at first but I said we should go out walking and the more he moved, the better he felt.

But since he had to work Monday morning, he took a CR pill Sunday night then back to regular dosing Monday morning. He actually had a pretty good weekend without medication but I insisted we stay busy, so it was a real active weekend in spite of no medication.

Old 05-25-2009, 04:58 AM   #11
(female)

clsc HB User

Good luck, Sunshine My husband tried to space out his 3 Sinemet doses (your same dosage) 5 to 6 hours between doses at first too because of the wearing off tween doses..

Then we noticed less freezing up, more smooth movement at night after he took his CR pill. Just letting you now what he experienced. But I think he may decide to cut back cause of side effects & maybe go all CR morning and night, still not sure.. If these involuntary movement side effects stay as they are now, and not worsen, then it will be OK, but I know he will not like if they worsen quickly since he still works and needs to be with the public 7 or 8 hours a day and doesn't like having these things. He didn't have them till they increased his meds so he was taking essentially 50/200 throughout each day.

Hope you can get whatever you need to help you function to your satisfaction. My spouse is only in 4th month of treatment so they are still "tweaking" things. Apparently this is not uncommon. Again good luck,
CLSC
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine221 View Post
I just switched from Reqip 1mg 3/d to Sinemet 25/100 3/d. The Sinemet only seems to last me about 5 hours so I don't get through the day with it. I have an appointment in July and hope to do an adjustment. On the other hand I have virtually no tremor and when the medicine is "on" I walk the best I have in months.

Last edited by clsc; 05-25-2009 at 05:00 AM.

Old 10-08-2009, 03:38 PM   #12
(female)

cejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB User

CLSc are you still there?? I am interested in your husband's progress after the longer period of time. My husband is in his 5th month of treatment and takes 4 Madopar -of minimum strength- daily...a lighter medication than Sinemet apparently. Sinemet made him headachy and woozy. Husband concerned about the long break during the night as he feels uncomfortable in the mornings until the am pill kicks in. Tremor is in his hands at the present time and he can be a little unsteady when walking. Visiting Dr next week and I wonder if we should be looking at a stronger dose. Your experience welcomed.

Old 10-18-2009, 04:45 PM   #13
(female)

clsc HB User

Hi, Just logged in again, since my computer crashed. My husband now takes plain instant release Sinemet either 3 times a day and sometimes 1 at night. But he also takes 1 Azilect per day.

He's doing all right, and has switched docs now going to the VA where they're taking pretty good care of him. He did start on Zoloft and I feel like he started feeling much better, less pain in his extremities. But he does have something resembling dystonia, not all the time. His legs and feet ache and hurt and get seized with cramps. This happens mostly after he takes his shoes off late in the day.

Michael J Fox says that the first thing he does when he gets up in the morning is put on a pair of hard shoes. I can understand this very well. It seems to keep feet from twisting so much. When my husband takes off his shoes late in the day, after a few minutes they start twisting and getting achey and crampy.

Cejayb, I hope things work out for you with that medication. It sounds like you still have a lot of options. If my husband has any tremors they are barely visible so we haven't dealt with that. I guess a lot depends on what the symptoms are how much success you have with any medicine. Good luck!

Old 10-19-2009, 01:14 PM   #14
(female)

Gap2007 HB User

I posted recently "husband just diagnosed" and thought I might join this thread as well. My husband is dealing with extreme stiffness in the mornings and throughout the day. They took him off flexerall because it interacts with the Azilect. We don't go back to the neurologist for another 4 1/2 weeks. Should I call them and see if there is something else he can take for the stiffness? I appreciate any information and advice. Since he was just diagnosed last week, it is still somewhat overwhelming and there is a lot of information out there.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:16 AM   #15
(male)

esolc HB User

I am a 5 to 6 year PD guy. I found the Sinement@ to where off very quickly. I have through a 2nd. opinion been taking Requip@. You also have to remember taking any other medicine may alter the way the drug reacts, even alcohol. The drugs I was always informed were to be taken after meals. Also check and see if he shakes while asleep at times. The PD causes that problem in me a surgeon told me after an out patient operation one day. I was always told you are at at at night until I started seeing other doctors. Just a thought good luck...

Closed Thread