It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parkinson's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2009, 08:27 AM   #1
(male)

Jack Pollitt HB User
Dbs

I was diagnosed with PD 5 years ago and have now progressed to a point where my neurologist thinks I should consider DBS. Has anyone had this procedure done and what were the results? I am looking to improve my balance. At this time I fall on a regular basis as much as once a day.

Old 03-27-2009, 05:11 PM   #2
(male)

NerveEnding HB UserNerveEnding HB User
Re: Dbs

Do you fall because of tremors or because your legs are rigid? If so, DBS might help. If you are falling because of postural instability and balance problems, DBS usually does not help these symptoms.

The ideal DBS patient is one with a lot of tremors, dyskinesias, and fluctuations. Essentially what DBS does is take your best "on-time" and stretches it out.

Your physician can give you a DBS dvd put out by medtronic which can answer at least some of your questions.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2009, 07:01 PM   #3
(female)

clsc HB User

Thanks for the info, NerveEnding (about getting a DVD about DBS)

To Jack: what have you decided about DBS? I hope it turns out to be right for you and you get the very best treatment, and good results! The falling can be upsetting and if one needs to be in a hospital while a broken bone heals, well, it doesn't sound like the best situation in this day and age. Good luck! : )

Old 04-29-2009, 11:31 AM   #4
(male)

Jack Pollitt HB User

Thanks for the intrest.I go to Mass General at the end of this month. I will let you know how I make out.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:31 PM   #5
(male)

navy6470 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Pollitt View Post
I was diagnosed with PD 5 years ago and have now progressed to a point where my neurologist thinks I should consider DBS. Has anyone had this procedure done and what were the results? I am looking to improve my balance. At this time I fall on a regular basis as much as once a day.
Like you I was disagnosed with PD symptoms 5 years ago, drugs helped but eventually my tremors in my right arm limited my writing to almost zero. My DBS was so successful my surgeon has rated my success as 95%. I still take STALEVO for the rigitiy and the remaining symptoms but it is the best thing that I could do. Good luck keep us posted

Closed Thread