It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parkinson's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2009, 02:45 PM   #1
(female)

mandy26 HB User
Benztropine/Cogentin and Blurry Vision

Hi all,
I do not have Parkinson's Disease, only drug-induced parkinsonism, which seems to be caused by an antipsychotic drug I am on. My doc prescribed Benztropine Mesylate to address the parkinsonism side effect. Anyone out there taking this drug? Within a day of starting the Bentropine, I noticed that my vision had become blurry. I cannot focus or read anything closer than a foot away (sort of like I'm farsighted--though I've always had 20/20 vision). Blurry vision is listed as a possible side effect of the Benztropine. If any of you have had this blurry vision from the Benztropine, how long did it last? Is it just a side effect that will taper off once my body adjusts to the drug? I also still have a fair tremor and am twitchy, but the blurred vision is more concerning to me right now. And can't reach my doc til Monday. Thanks!

The following user gives a hug of support to mandy26:
cslocombe (09-23-2011)
Old 09-30-2009, 04:33 PM   #2
(female)

redberyl HB User
Re: Benztropine/Cogentin and Blurry Vision

Mandy, I am currently experiencing the exact same thing. I felt so much better on the cogentin, but my close-up vision is blurred. How did your situation resolve? Thanks for any input.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2009, 11:50 PM   #3
(female)

mandy26 HB User

Hi Red,
Ugh, sorry to hear you're dealing with that now, too. It's an alarming, miserable, frustrating experience. It was a few months back now that this was going on with me, so some of the specifics are "blurry"--pardon the pun. As I recall, I tried to give the drug at least a week to see if this blurred vision would perhaps go away on its own after taking the new med for a bit. But it got to be so frustrating and debilitating (I couldn't work, and driving became a hazard), I finally told the doc about it and that I wanted off of it. He agreed that the blurry vision was a very valid reason to stop. Since I was put on it to counter the parkinsonism brought on as a side effect of another drug, the doc also eliminated that medication. And POOF! My vision was back to normal in about 2 days.

I don't know what other medication options you may have, but it might be wise to consult with your doctor. Blurry vision is no joke! I have dealt with dozens of side effects through the years as I'm quite prone to experiencing them on any meds, and some I've just learned to live with--the benefit outweighs the annoyance. But partially losing my sight went far beyond my threshold of tolerance. Best of luck to you!! And be safe.

Old 10-04-2009, 03:05 PM   #4
(female)

redberyl HB User

Thanks, Mandy! I'm very glad you replied. Our stories sound very similar, except I've only been at this about 9 months, instead of years. I'm hoping and praying we can find something that works for me soon; it already feels like forever. It's kind of scary what these meds can do to your. I hope everything is going well for you. thanks again, Jenn, aka redberyl

Closed Thread