It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parkinson's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2009, 11:32 PM   #1
(female)

KaP HB User
Question Strange episodes

On our anniversary my hubby who has PD woke up and didn't know who I was or who he was. took him to ER where he had a bunch of tests and they said he had Renal Failure and a possible TIA. Well, the tests showed no TIA so they said maybe it was a seizure. He was given plenty of fluids so that his kidneys are now working up to 50%. They wanted to do an MRI with contrast to check for the seizures, but feared the kidneys couldn't take the dye so he was sent home to get better(drink plenty of fluids) and then have the MRI done. With the symptoms the drs. thought it might be the meds.that caused it, but then said they weren't sure what the cause of this episode was. He sleeps alot, slurs his speech, has hallucinations, falls down alot... added to this episode of amnesia and what is the problems? Is his PD just fastly advancing or what? He was just diagnosed with Parkinsons 2 years ago. He said he doesn't want to live this way and wants me to get a durable power of attorney. Now how do I do that?
I appreciate and help or suggestions.
Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2009, 08:59 PM   #2
(female)

here and now HB User
Re: Strange episodes

Durable power of attorney can be acquired at an attorney, it's not real expensive. I did it a couple of years ago for my husband and I don't actually remember the cost, but it wasn't too bad. The amnesia and hallucinations, God bless you I know they are scarey to deal with. With my husband they thought it was urinary infection also, but no. It came down to his meds. I had to "dry him out" for 24 hours and restart his medications. This has happened a couple times. He is 82 and has Parkinson's 12 years. He takes Carbidopa/Levadopa, Amantadine and Requip (Ropinerole) all of which can cause hallucinations. After restarting at lower doses I was able to work the dosage up to almost what it was before his episodes. Right now he is going through a downward trend and I'm not sure where it is going. A couple years ago he had a bad period like this and it wound up with him in the hospital. Thankfully I have a CNA to help me during the day a couple days a week. I hope you have a helper. Talk to your dr about cutting back his medication for a while. It may take a day or more for the effects to wear off. Good luck.

Last edited by here and now; 07-30-2009 at 09:00 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2009, 10:38 PM   #3
(female)

cejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB User
Re: Strange episodes

Power of Attorney allows you to make decisions for your husband. If he does not want medical intervention he is wise to sign a Living Will stating that. My BIL endured two weeks of intervention in hospital before being discharged for comfort care in another facility.

Closed Thread