It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parkinson's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2009, 07:47 AM   #1
(female)

Poppy12345 HB User
Scared my mum has this.

Her mum died of this aged just 61. My mum is now 70 and her hands have started shaking. It's only when she picks up a cup or plate though, her hands never shake otherwise. Am I worrying over nothing?
I keep hearing it's not hereditary, then I hear it is, then that it's infectious. She refuses to ask a doctor.

Old 07-29-2009, 01:44 AM   #2
(female)

cejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB User
Re: Scared my mum has this.

Other signs to look for with your mum. My husband has just been diagnosed. Non blinking. Not swinging arms when walking. Face losing expression. One hand palm up...other hand able to hit front then back of hand on that palm without faltering.

I have a friend who also shakes when holding a cup/plate etc and she is fine.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2009, 07:39 PM   #3
(female)

here and now HB User

Parkinson's disease is not infectious. My husband has it for 12 years, I'm his sole caregiver and I'm fine. Parkinson's is described as trembling, skaking when the hand, leg, foot, etc is not being used but is at rest . If she shakes when using her hand it may be Parkinsons' but not likely. If she rests her hand on her lap and it shakes then it could be Parkinson's. There are a lot of diseases with similar symptoms. Unfortunately I don't think there is yet a positive test to tell you yes or no.
The other symptoms develop later. Some go years with no symptoms. I wouldn't worry too much until you know. When you do find out, even if she does indeed have it, she may still have many good years. Good luck.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:29 PM   #4
(female)

cejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB User

Here and Now please. My husband is the the stage of getting his medication balanced. His hands shake and he says that he feels slightly unbalanced when walking but otherwise he looks fine. He has no energy, not interested in getting out of the house and seems to be fixated on all the negatives of life. I feel that he is depressed but he will not consider medication for that. I am hoping that when he comes to terms with the Parkinsons this will pass. He has always been very fit, active and healthy and this seems to have just floored him. Is this your experience? Any suggestions?

Old 07-31-2009, 09:00 PM   #5
(female)

here and now HB User

Dear cejayb, How long has he had Parkinson's? I have found my husband's medication is never "balanced". I work closely with his neurologist to adjust his medications from day to day if needed. Depression plays a big part of how he disease progresses. My husband has a negative personality anyway, Parkinson's making him disabled made it worse. He was always talking about ending it all. I finally asked the dr for something to give him.
I don't know how your husband takes his pills. I sometimes give my husband his pills by placing them into his mouth, other times he can do it himself. Specifically the morning dose (6-7 am) which I give to him while he is still in bed so that the medication can start to work before he gets up. Those pills I give to him with jello with the pills placed onto the spoon with the jello. He never really sees those pills so I was able to give him the one extra pill and he never knew he was taking it. It has made a big difference.
Occasionally he has seen that "new" pill when he for some reason did not get his pills before getting out of bed. He asks what it is and I tell him it is a Parkinson's pill. Since taking this anti-depressant he is much more agreeable and doesn't fluster so easily. I always had trouble getting him to take his pills. He still doesn't like it, but he takes them.
My husband has been in a wheelchair for 6 years. Some days he still gets depressed as we all do. But on his good days he is much easier to move around and participates in trying get him moved (transferred) On his bad days, which he is having the past few weeks, he expects everyone- me or the CNA, to move him as dead weight, without his helping himself. He has to get mad at something, his legs, the chair or me, cuss a little (or a lot) and all of a sudden his legs will move. Only a few steps, then he stops again. But often that is all that is needed to move him. Hope this helps.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:04 PM   #6
(female)

here and now HB User

Sorry - I somehow entered a reply twice.

Last edited by here and now; 07-31-2009 at 09:06 PM. Reason: duplicated reply

Old 08-01-2009, 04:59 PM   #7
(female)

That is a help thank you. Also a help to a very good friend of mine who's husband is now in the hospital wing of a residential home as it is beyond her to care for him at home with the lifting/feeding etc. Her health was declining rapidly and her H is still able to walk, though he is very frail, but is falling a lot at this stage. Refuses a wheelchair. She, needless to say, is guilt ridden. It is interesting that my husband also has a 'glass half empty' mentality...and for no reason as in my opinion we have a 'glass full' life! Always sweats the small stuff and I think that the fact that his older brother had to move into a dementia unit in Oct of last year precipitated this as that is when I noticed the change in him. No problem with tablets....have to be taken on the second and it is a plus that he is very keen to get to the stage when he is feeling better in himself. This is why I find it so frustrating that he won't do the things that will assist that, exercise, get out and about and stop being so miserable!! I have good friends who also helped me through a 'health hiccup' and we meet for our 'sanity coffees' and make sure that we get to any shows etc that are happening in our town. I hope you do too.

Closed Thread