It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parkinson's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2009, 08:41 AM   #1
(female)

rose59 HB User
trouble sleeping

My husband has a terrible time trying to sleep.
He can never get comfortable and has trouble
turning over or just trying to change positions.
It's like he's frozen. Other times his legs will
start twitching violently. We are both losing
sleep. He takes requip and a benedryl around
10:00. Any suggestions? He really doesn't want
to take a prescription sleep aide.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:40 AM   #2
(female)

kathyIS54 HB User
Re: trouble sleeping

Hope you are still checking in here, after many years of going through what you are now, our Dr. said it is more important for PDP to get a good night sleep. There is many non addicting mild sleeping pills. It took along time for hubby to give into this. He gets a good night sleep most nights and it makes a difference on how his (and mine) day goes.

Cheers Kathy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-04-2009, 03:38 PM   #3
(male)

esolc HB User

I take a combination of requip and seroquel. I am also allowed to take valium as needed. I am down to being up once a nihjt to hit the bathroom. I was up most of the night a one time. You picked a toughy cas all these drugs effect people differently. The same pills don't work on my wife. It is like most of these posters say, it is kind of trial and error. I am a great believer in 2 nd. opions though,that helped me find my mix.

Old 11-21-2009, 07:03 AM   #4
(male)

atrid HB User

My doctor prescribed Mirapex (primapexol) before bed and that seems to help "restless leg" and cramps. Doesn't seem to help the problem of turning over though.

Old 12-30-2009, 03:30 AM   #5
(female)

clsc HB User

Same problem here but my spouse has such active and vivid dreams that he thrashes around, knocks over things on the night table and if I'm in the bed with him often I get hit or knocked around too. Usually we start off together then after 2 hours 1 of us moves to another bed. His dreams are like something out of a special effects movie. I worry because he has fallen out of bed and hurt himself many times.

The other thing is when he gets home from work he's so tired he falls asleep on the sofa. Then wakes up and is ready for dinner, a movie or some wakeful time before going to sleep for the night. He used to have problems sleeping but no longer. He takes Ambien sometimes, but I also think it's because he is so active in daytime he's just plain tired. But he talks in his sleep and acts out his dreams most nights.

Old 04-03-2010, 07:50 AM   #6
(female)

MMM HB User

Your husband may want to try a low dose sleeping aide temporarily along with sleep hygiene techniques. I did and it certainly helped. Also, took an anti-anxiety, very low dose a few hours before bedtime which helped me relax before sleep. This need only be temporary to readjust and recouperate sleep.

Old 04-04-2010, 06:33 AM   #7
(male)

esolc HB User

I have progressed to the point where I am now back where I statered. I guess that is the trouble with me and pills they are very affcetive immediately but also have a short life span for me. I have increased my Seroquel dosage and try a night time over the counter Natural sleep inducer. I have even tried going back to Ambein ER but to no avail. The only thing that seems to work for me is a lot of excerise and lots of allowable sunlight then for some reason, I sleep all through the night pain and all.

Case

Old 04-05-2010, 02:50 PM   #8
(male)

atrid HB User

I had that trouble until I started taking Mirapex just before retiring. Also, my physical therapist showed me that if I do hamstring pulls just before getting into bed it prevents restless leg syndrome. (By that I mean that I stand with the balls of my feet on a step and lower and raise my body a dozen times, slowly, ending with a 20-second extension with the heel down as far as it will go. Hold on tight, however!) Another factor, for me, is water intake; I also have prostate cancer so am tempted to drink little water to reduce the frequency of urination. This increases the likelihood that I will have leg cramps in the night. So as with all things it is a balance. hope this helps.

Old 04-06-2010, 03:36 AM   #9
(male)

esolc HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrid View Post
I had that trouble until I started taking Mirapex just before retiring. Also, my physical therapist showed me that if I do hamstring pulls just before getting into bed it prevents restless leg syndrome. (By that I mean that I stand with the balls of my feet on a step and lower and raise my body a dozen times, slowly, ending with a 20-second extension with the heel down as far as it will go. Hold on tight, however!) Another factor, for me, is water intake; I also have prostate cancer so am tempted to drink little water to reduce the frequency of urination. This increases the likelihood that I will have leg cramps in the night. So as with all things it is a balance. hope this helps.
You just struck a string in my brain by mentioning the water. I do not drink hardly anthing during any 24 hour period. I may have to try that and see if it helps me. Thank You,

Case

Closed Thread