It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parkinson's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2009, 03:57 PM   #1
(female)

cejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB User
Wider general effects

A more personal aspect, if you don't mind. Does Parkinsons also have an effect on other areas such as bowel regularity, the necessity for a liquid laxative daily? Think perhaps it may be the lack of nerve/muscle tone or should I be more concerned re H?

Old 12-08-2009, 08:57 AM   #2
(female)

kathyIS54 HB User
Re: Wider general effects

For sure it can be. But it can be controlled through diet rather then medicine for the most part.

A few things hubby has resorted to over the years that work well, he switches them up alot.

A morning glass of prune juice.

3 dried prunes in the morning or late evening

Oatmeal (9 grain) loaded with fruit, banana, dried cranberries, raisens. tops it with all bran.

He eats an apple and orange or gratefruit daily.

The biggest thing he gets relief from is his fruit smothies, frozen bananas, strawberry, melon,blueberries. canned manderin oranges peach, pears plus what ever fresh food we have sitting around. He uses Almond milk, small amount of yogurt, juice, flaxmeal. He makes a full blender and that does him 2 days.

Hope that helps.

Kathy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2009, 10:49 PM   #3
(female)

cejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB User

Thank you Kathy.. I try to keep the diet varied and with plenty of roughage but added prune juice to the shopping list as per your suggestion. Trying prune juice morning, kiwicrush evening and that appears to be helping. Were at the Dr yesterday who also pointed out that being overly concerned about the situation isn't helping!! The Dr also suggested trying Alpine Tea from the healthfood store. I have never heard of it but will certainly get some on my next trip to town.
Celia

Old 12-29-2009, 11:36 PM   #4
(female)

clsc HB User

We have found that fruit is good but best of all is to eat nuts. We have pistachios, walnuts, pecans, peanuts, and almonds. They are delicious and keep things "moving"

Good luck and if you add these to your diet you will enjoy them I'm sure Lots more fun than some other remedies
- - - - - - -

Also I concur with Kathy about the oatmeal. I add walnuts to that and a little of the Splenda brand of "brown sugar" which is not *real* sugar" so it doesn't form so much plaque in the arteries if you are concerned about that.

Last edited by clsc; 12-29-2009 at 11:39 PM. Reason: forgot the oatmeal

Old 12-30-2009, 05:51 PM   #5
(female)

Thank you clsc. Shopped this am and now have a bowl of mixed nuts to dip in to. Have incorporated advice into diet...and as it is mid-summer here and very hot salads/fresh fruit/yoghurt top of list so can add kidney beans/chick peas etc...great when cold. All tips much appreciated and pleased to report [thankful too as it's not exactly scintillating conversation!!] success.

Closed Thread