It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parkinson's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2009, 11:06 PM   #1
(male)

jakeoh08 HB User
Please Help! Question about my dad's PD?

First off, here is some background information regarding my father:
My father was diagnosed with PD around 10 years ago. He functioned very highly for about the first 9 years. He was a lawyer and still able to practice law. He did have physical problems. He also had some noticeable mental problems (slower thought processing, etc.). Through all of his problems, he was still able to function fairly well. Through his first 9 years, he never took Levodopa (although I don't remember which medication he did take off hand). Within the last year, my father started to go way downhill. One of his previous medications caused him to have hallucinations. After this happened, he was immediately switched to levodopa. But since this break down happened, my father's IQ seems to have gone way down (this was verified in a psychological assessment). It is so hard to see my dad like this, but the physical aspect of his PD stayed about the same. He also is now unable to work as a lawyer.

My questions regarding the situation with my father are as follows:
1. I know dementia is commonly linked with PD. But has anyone else heard of such a severe mental drop off due to PD? (the drop off was about 40 IQ points according to psychological assessment)
2. Does anyone think my dad's mental problems aren't at all related to PD, and could possibly be fixed through other medicines (not related to PD)?
3. What are some suggestions on some jobs that my dad could possibly get? Although he is very slow mentally and physically, he is a very knowledgeable man and a hard worker. Also, I know he wants to work because I often see him searching for jobs on the internet. Any suggestions on possible work options or ways to help get my dad out of the house (keep his mind going, etc.) will be of great help.

Thank you in advance for your help. Answers to any of these questions will be greatly appreciated by my family and me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2009, 11:39 PM   #2
(male)

esolc HB User
Re: Please Help! Question about my dad's PD?

I am slowly heading to towards some sort of alzhimers or dementia. I think of what I want to do and forget and walk away. Before they stopped me from drivng,I got lost on the same road as I had taken to work every day. I became scared, it seemed like an hour though
only lasted 10-15 minutes. It was if I had woke up in a Foriegn country. I stated speeding and then my mind started to remember land marks I knew. I think maybe stem cell research is the answer for M.D.,P.D., any many other brain disorders that seem to happen more frquently.

Thak You
Case

Old 01-01-2010, 08:48 AM   #3
(female)

clsc HB User

Jake I'm so sorry to hear that your father has had a decline. I know how it feels to see someone you love go through something like this. My only suggestion is to get a second opinion, and make sure he does not have any co-existing condition that might be causing the loss of what you call IQ or cognitive function.

It's possible to have another condition besides the PD, though as you and the doctor say it's the PD, that's why I would get a second opinion. Is he getting any new medications for this mental decline to slow the decline or to help his memory and functioning? If he wants to work, and after getting another opinion and trying all that's available to your father, and it's deemed to be permanent, then maybe you could try, though I know it's very sad and difficult, to let him find another job or hobby he can work at. He sounds like the kind of person whose mind will *never* be idle and he'll always want to be productive.

I have a friend who is a psychologist who works with Alzheimers patients. He told me the more a person does in life (work, hobbies, socially) before the disease hits, the longer the person will remain functional and the more he will be able to do even after a decline. I wish for your father and your family that you can find either another doctor , or someone who can help your family figure out a way for your father to continue to enjoy being productive and keeping his mind active.

Old 01-02-2010, 03:31 AM   #4
(male)

esolc HB User

I am sorry to hear about your father. I am also Bipolar with Parkinsons desease and found out one of the generics I am taking presents biPolar shaking which right now is my main problem, besides no center of balance. I am giving a little more of my backround to present a point. The medicare people want me to start taking, social work intervention programs to try and place me in the work invironment again. I have never gone, cause I have no way to get their and back. The medicare people provided me with phone numbers of different associations and they( social Security would pay the bill), I have been thinking about trying one to see if it might help find me some sort of job as the government pays my wage as apposed to the employer for a certain period, I think I at the point where, I will try anytning except more drugs for dementia. I hope what is happening to me may be of some sort of help.

Case

Old 01-03-2010, 07:32 PM   #5
(male)

esolc HB User

My doctor has found a way to retain what I have, now he put me on meds that if I sit or lay down, I fall asleep. Boy is the doctor and me gonna have a talk Monday, even without an appointment. I am trying to maintain my life, not sleep the next years of my life sleeping. He has put me on benzodiazepine, I had to put it last because I had to get the bottle of pills to spell it.

case

Closed Thread