It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parkinson's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2010, 01:11 AM   #1
(male)

jbatyko33 HB User
distraught son

This is my first time writing about my fathers fight with parkinsons disease. I am a 16 year old student in high school, who wishes he can see happiness in his dad. I have never seen my dad without pd, since he has had it since I was born. His health has been failing enormously lately: difficulty to walk, cannot change clothes by himself, and no ability to drive or perform many activities. Pd problems such as drooling, lack of expression, depression, freezing, and tremor have also plagued his 50 year old body. To make matters worse, his wife(my mother) seperated from him 6 years ago. Without a spouse to lean on, I try to fill in that role. I help him change in the morning, cook meals for him after school, and help him get in bed. When I am away at school or at basketball practice, he suffers with great depression, due to his declining health and my mother leaving him. He has called 911 due to suicide thoughts, and I am afraid he will eventually go thorough with it one time. I pray for a miracle to God almost every night, but none come. I just wish he can get through this rough time of hardship and find a wife or anybody that can brighten up his day or help him when he needs it, because it is basically impossible for a teen to take a complete role of caretaker. My dad is a sweet and kind man who I love to death, but I am afraid in a few years parkinsons disease will take over all his will to live. Please pray for my dad and thank you for reading.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2010, 05:07 PM   #2
(female)

cejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB User
Re: distraught son

Questions. I'm not conversant with the US education system but assume that you have counsellors at school? Do you deal with this situation totally alone?

Old 01-16-2010, 06:53 AM   #3
(female)

qcpp HB User

I will definitely pray for you and your father! I also think it would be wise to seek out counseling for both yourself and your dad, and your school counselor would be a great place to start. Best Wishes!

Old 01-23-2010, 08:14 PM   #4
(female)

kathyIS54 HB User

I hope you check back in here, I'm so sorry you are going through this with your Dad without the support of your Mom.
My sons too do not remember much of "pre PD" with their Dad.

Can you go to the Dr. with your Dad, I think you really need to see if the depression can be addressed. It is very common in PD.

This is a heavy load for a 16 year old, I'm sure your Dad in his own way treasures you for being there.

Good Luck.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:08 AM   #5
(male)

esolc HB User

For me just having one person from the family with me gave me some peace and satisfaction, even though it was not relavent in my mind at the time. There still are rough spots, I will not deny that. I remember thinking, here God is taking the one thing away, that I myself owned my body. We do the best we can in life with the hand we are dealt. I have been through the beginning phases when I started to first notice the systems, which I can only now trace in hindsight. At the begining I kind of joked about the small tremor that occured, it seemed only when I played golf. Then it began to consume my left side. The day I knew, I truely had a bigger problem than I ever thought was when I could not even carry a tray from the counter of a fsat food resteraunt to the booth. I had to stop and drop the tray at the first table (the closest to me) or it would all be on the floor. When I told my wife she just looked at me, I will never forget. We began to feel a disconect as it has progressed plus also I have developed Periferal Neurapathy now on top of all that, but the doctors tell me that is not onusual in people 65 and older. I guess what I wanted to say now that I am on my fith PD doctor, that I have invited my wife into those sessions and the therapy sessions. This gives her a sense of what is going on with me and how to cope on her own behalf. Plus I found many agencies that deal specifically with people who have Parkinson's. Most insurance companies and the federal government have a lot of information about this illness. But always remember you dad knows your love but just at this point like has a hard time expressing the feelings. I will have my wife put a prayer message in at our church for you. Remeber I lways say to myself, when one door closes another opens!

God Bless
case

Closed Thread