It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parkinson's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2010, 06:54 AM   #1
(female)

tessrouth HB User
Arrow just 42 diagnoised with parkisons disease

i just found out monday i have parkisons deisease due to the hand tremors and body remors i get, i am also bipolar and was on a drug called lithiumn which could played a factor in this...i am very scared that eventually the things i do for myself will change and i will no longer be independant. simple task like cooking getting plates down holding a cigarette are difficult for me, is there anyone that feels like i do and would like to talk to me i am a mother of 5 and a grandmother of 2 beautiful grandchildren i want to see them and my othr children grow up get married go to college what have you. i know that there is no cure for this disease and i just need a little support and a listening person thanks tess...

Old 03-25-2010, 05:02 AM   #2
(male)

tcarbike HB User
Re: just 42 diagnoised with parkisons disease

Hi Tess, I've just found this site and registered, I was diagnosed a week ago and am sort of getting to grips with things, I think my wife is more freaked out about the whole thing than me! I'm checking out support groups and the like but have yet to meet the 'parkinson's support nurse'. I hope all goes well for you. tc

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2010, 06:47 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

NY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB User

tcarbike, how was your parkinsons diagnosed?
when did you notice the changes? how long did it take you to mention it to your doctor?
what were the first changes you noticed?
I ask this because out of no where when I'm sitting having a cigarette my hands and wrists start to tremble out of no where. my legs do too. and sometimes my feet while i"m driving. My head does to, and especially while i"m standing on lines. I don't want people to see me trembling. because i've had people, acquantances ask me what I"m shaking for?
I dislike this with all my might!
how rude.
it's not like I WANT to shake and it's not like I can control it.
the medications I'm taking aren't a factor to it either.

I'm nervous to mention it to my doctor in fear they think I'm being a hypochondrica being I have a host of medical problems to begin with.
now another on the list to add?
It's like I don't want them to THINK i'm asking to be diagnosed with parkinsons. I FEAR it. I don't want it. that's why I want to find out if I have the beginning stages of it so that it can be taken care of sooner than later.

I have noticed it's getting worst over the past two years. I have arthritis in my spine and think maybe this could be a factor to the shaking? the weakness in my arms and legs, the loss of body muscle all over.
I'm constantly banging into things as if I'm a clutz. I live at my fiance's parents house to take care of his handicapped 85 yr old father and am the cook for the family and I can't begin to tell you how embarrassed I am that I've chipped the edges of so many dishes of hers. and she's told me to be more careful and that she wants dishes to keep as set so that if she ever has company over to eat, she doesnt' want to use chipped dishes.
I have to focus especially hard when taking the dishes out and putting in the dirty dishes to the dish washer.
do you have any of these problems i"ve mentioned to you?

should I go to my doctor and mention these symptoms to her?
oh, I also have been getting numbness now for a couple years in my arms, up to my elbows, fingers and hands when i lay down at night. I have to leave them below my navel area on my body so that they don't go numb.
I mentioned this neuropathy to my family doctor years ago when it first started and he referred me to a neurologist who ck'd me for MS because that's what my dr wanted me ckd' for.
she pushed me in like cattle, made me touch my nose with my pointer finger, stand up and do something else and told me to get dressed and told me I had nothing to worry about.. she even asked me why I came to her because she mainly treated people who had strokes and other conditions.
she was very intimidating and I feel rude.
I did NOT have a good repore' with her at all.
so this is my experience and I wanted to find out more info if possible.
thank you for sharing.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:25 PM   #4
(male)

tcarbike HB User

NY 1009, Hi, my diagnosis was made at a visit to my consultant neurologist March 17th. The history is that around 3 years ago I began to notice a shake (right hand) when eating cereal, soup etc, I thought ha! Parkinson's and then thought no more about it, gradually (over a year or so) the problem became more noticeable and my wife said I seemed to be forever tapping my fingers on the table or chair arm. I eventually spoke to a medical friend who said that although this was not his field of expertise and there were a number of causes of tremors I would be advised to get checked out to try to identify the actual problem. For various reasons it was only a short while ago that I went to see my GP who referred me to a neurologist. The examination was (as far as I'm aware) thorough with various questions about mine and past family medical history, my sense of smell, he looked at how I walked and moved, did the finger pointing and touch your nose test, assessed my sense of balance, asked me to write a sentence and copy a simple drawing of a spiral. After some further questions he said that he was 99+% sure that I had Parkinson's, I had asked about 'essential tremors' and he explained the main differences between that and Parkinson's and why he had come to the diagnosis, he also went on to explain about following my progress with the disease, I would be contacted by a dedicated PD nurse and a doctor at my local hospital who had a special interest in PD, they would assess me on a regular basis and if I or they felt any problems were cropping up we would refer straight back to him. Regarding medication he felt that I should put off using any until my condition became more advanced as apparently the later you can leave it the more efficacious the medication is (unless there are other medical advances in the meantime).

I hope you get some satisfaction from the medical profession and that a diagnosis one way or the other is made, at least then you know what you're dealing with. Check things out on line and read as much as you can about PD so that you know what questions to ask your doctor (that was advice given to me).

Good luck

Old 04-27-2010, 07:50 AM   #5
(female)

wcl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcarbike View Post
Hi Tess, I've just found this site and registered, I was diagnosed a week ago and am sort of getting to grips with things, I think my wife is more freaked out about the whole thing than me! I'm checking out support groups and the like but have yet to meet the 'parkinson's support nurse'. I hope all goes well for you. tc

Tcarbike, Tess, NY1009:
You are a little ahead of us, but not by much. My husband, age 69, was given a diagnosis of "probable Parkinson's" just last week. (Current date is 4/27/10.) We too are in a somewhat shocked state, and are trying to find resources, doctors, anyone with information--but hopefully with a positive outlook.

What we need right now is a definitive diagnosis. So he is having a couple of MRI's done this week (brain, cervical and lumbar spine), and has had bloodwork but no results as yet. We have an appointment with a neurologist in Greenwich, CT, recommended by the PDF (Parkinson's Disease Foundation). Her name is Dr.Alice Rusk. She got her training at Columbia, and worked with Dr. Stanley Fahn (Chief of the Neurology Dept, but unable to see us until October, so we had to go elsewhere--but still might go down to Columbia to see Dr. Cheryl Waters, whom I heard is a good diagnostician). We have another appointment at the NYU/Langone Movement Disorders Center. Just so you know, we live in Larchmont, NY, in Westchester County.

It's so hard to get a handle on this, how best to proceed. I guess we just have to keep digging up information, and hope we get to the right people who will do the right thing.

Please keep posting, so we can stay in touch and share information, okay?
Wendy

Last edited by wcl; 04-27-2010 at 07:53 AM.

Closed Thread