It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Parkinson's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2010, 10:58 AM   #1
MMM MMM is offline
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 5
MMM HB User
Tremors are more frequent...

I have been dx'd with PD for 3 years. Have always been on 25/100 mg Sinemet x4 every day. I now take Sinemet 1/2 pill in between doses or closer together than every 4 hours (per neurologist). Tremors are more frequent and sleep pattern is disrupted. Anyone experiencing or experienced similar patterns? PD appears to be a difficult disorder to specifically control?? Neurologist stated that tremors are difficult to control.
Blessings,::wave

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 03-26-2010, 08:38 PM   #2
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 275
cejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB User
Re: Tremors are more frequent...

Husband had disrupted sleep but now takes a stronger slow release tablet at night. Could be worth a try as yes...it does seem to be a bit of a guessing game - along with trial and error.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 03-28-2010, 08:41 PM   #3
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2
wcw846 HB User
Re: Tremors are more frequent...

Sinemet which is L-dopa is mainly for the rigidity and thus the mobility and bradykinesia can be improved. For the tremor, it is diffiuclt to control. Other anti- Parkinson's drug like anti-cholingeric e.g trihexypheridyl (Artane) and be tried to reduce the tremor. Beta-blocker like propanolol can also be tried. Although every drug can have its side effect, it can be tried if there is no contraindication and the tremor is really disturbing. Talk to your doctor and ask for their suggestion.

 
Old 06-21-2010, 10:29 AM   #4
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 11
Lala4 HB User
Re: Tremors are more frequent...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I have been dx'd with PD for 3 years. Have always been on 25/100 mg Sinemet x4 every day. I now take Sinemet 1/2 pill in between doses or closer together than every 4 hours (per neurologist). Tremors are more frequent and sleep pattern is disrupted. Anyone experiencing or experienced similar patterns? PD appears to be a difficult disorder to specifically control?? Neurologist stated that tremors are difficult to control.
Blessings,::wave
Hi! MMM

My husband has PD for 2 yrs and he always tells me that he is herting because of his tremors, dose it realy hert? I want to help my huspand can you tell me how I can help with his tremors, I feel bad for him and want to be a good caregiver, Please help.

Thanks

 
Old 06-21-2010, 10:39 AM   #5
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 11
Lala4 HB User
Re: Tremors are more frequent...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcw846 View Post
Sinemet which is L-dopa is mainly for the rigidity and thus the mobility and bradykinesia can be improved. For the tremor, it is diffiuclt to control. Other anti- Parkinson's drug like anti-cholingeric e.g trihexypheridyl (Artane) and be tried to reduce the tremor. Beta-blocker like propanolol can also be tried. Although every drug can have its side effect, it can be tried if there is no contraindication and the tremor is really disturbing. Talk to your doctor and ask for their suggestion.
Hi! wcw846,

Can you tell me if Sinemet really works? because my husband is looking for a med that does not have side affects. He's not taking any thing yet because we r affraid of any side affects.

He's only had the PD for 2 yrs, he was taking all natural med, but he needs something stronger, what do you recommend?

Thanks,

 
Old 06-21-2010, 01:11 PM   #6
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 11
Lala4 HB User
Re: Tremors are more frequent...

Hello Is their anybody out there that can give me any advice, on how to be a good caregiver. My husband has Parkinson's and is always telling me that he is herting, and stiff. we've only been married for one year and i dont understand a lot about this disease.

Thanks,

 
Old 07-03-2010, 08:20 AM   #7
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2
wcw846 HB User
Re: Tremors are more frequent...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lala4 View Post
Hi! wcw846,

Can you tell me if Sinemet really works? because my husband is looking for a med that does not have side affects. He's not taking any thing yet because we r affraid of any side affects.

He's only had the PD for 2 yrs, he was taking all natural med, but he needs something stronger, what do you recommend?

Thanks,

Dear Lala4,

Nearly every medications have its side effect. Consider to take it or not is to balance the benefit and the risk. In Pakinsonism, the anti-Parkinsonism medications is for relief of the symptoms such as to reduce rigidity and thus mobility can be improved. If one can still cope with his/her daily activities without difficulty, then we can delay the use of anti-Pakinsonism medications. On the other hand, if the symptoms have already affected patient's mobility and daily life activities, or is disturbing e.g tremor, then medications should be considered. The first line medicatilons used is dependent on patient's age and symptoms. The most common first line medication used is L-dopa such as sinemet/madopar, usually starts from low dose such as sinemet 125 1/2 tab 3x/day, then titred the dosage or the interval between the drugs intake according to the symptoms. Usually if start from low dosage, its side effect can be tolerated and the common side effect are nuasea, vomiting and dizziness. The other first line medication that are commoly used in the younger patient are dopaime receptors agonist e.g bromocriptine and pergolide. If tremor is the most disturbing symptoms, then anti-cholinergic e.g artane can be used alone or on top of sinemet or bromocriptine.
Hope these information can help you a bit. For choosing appropriate medications, you should consult your doctor.

with Kind Regards

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
recent head tremors.. tests inconclusive... next steps?? DaPoohz Brain & Nervous System Disorders 1 08-10-2010 05:30 PM
Head and body tremors with lupus? ksandra97 Lupus 16 07-21-2008 04:04 PM
internal tremors and muscle ticks???? ricky55 Neuromuscular Diseases 1 01-29-2007 07:45 AM
muscle twitching and internal tremors rn414J Thyroid Disorders 8 06-13-2006 09:20 PM
Anyone else ever get tremors with Hashi's??? Changedusername Thyroid Disorders 8 06-11-2005 07:24 PM

Tags
sinemet, tremor control



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:29 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!