It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parkinson's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2010, 04:56 PM   #1
(male)

GJGPWP HB User
Speech Problems in PD – Advice Needed

I have been recently diagnosed with PD. I am a 50+ year old male in a “sales type” profession where I need to present and talk almost constantly.
My current drug treatment consists of 6mg Diazepam in the morning plus Requip 2mg three times per day.
I have been having significant issues with slurred speech. It seems to be worse when I am tired or stressed.
Has anyone had any success with any programs designed to help this problem?
I have looked into the LVST programs – are there any “Home Based – self guided” programs that I should consider?
Does anyone know of any “Speech Related” trials that could be beneficial?
Thanks for any help or advice!

Old 04-29-2010, 02:46 AM   #2
(female)

wcl HB User
Re: Speech Problems in PD – Advice Needed

Have you discussed this slurred speech issue with your doctor? Could it be due to the meds you're taking? Diazepam is Valium, and it seems that alone could be responsible. I don't know anything about Requip, but could slurring be one of the side effects? Maybe a change in meds or dosage would work better for you, or even timing the meds differently?

I wish I could be more helpful. My husband (69) is just going through the diagnostic process for PD, and we're reeling from all the information and decisions. But one thing I've learned so far: there are a lot of options for medication, and what works for one person might not work for another--or even what works for you initially might need "tweaking" after a while. So if you let your doctor know the issue, hopefully he can adjust things for you.

Wendy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2010, 12:50 AM   #3
(female)

clsc HB User

The Sinemet helps my husband. When the med wears off, he has slower speech, and a sort of whsper quality to his voice. He is also in sales and needs to be able to speak clearly to many people a good part of the day and sometimes the evenings too.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:01 PM   #4
(male)

GJGPWP HB User

Thanks for the reply!

Does he do any speech therapy?

Old 06-30-2010, 09:51 PM   #5
(female)

kathyIS54 HB User

Hello it has been a long while since I have been on this board, mu hubby has had PD for going on 18 years and the mono speech, soft whisper is part of PD for many, his words all seem to run in together. Add that to my hearing loss in the ear that always seems to be facing him and it can either be comical or down right fustrating. No med's has helped it, so my best way of dealing with it is to try to make sure nothing else around us is creating a noise, when he speaks, if he is running a tap or the Microwave is on or if he is in a different room and he thinks he is talking louder...... it is impossible to hear and understand what he is saying. It can be very frustrating for both of us, he tried to use the program dragon speak, and when he spoke into it and then played it back he could not beleive how he sounded, he had a new appreciation for how hard I have to listen.
He is retired, but his level of communication is dimishing even with family, it is very sad, friends and family don't phone as they can not understand him.

It is just another nasty aspect of life with PD, but he never lets it get him down. But I really worry about the future. For him to lose that communication with his family is a horrible thought, but right now no one seems to be giving us hope of improvement.
Slow and easy, take a deep breathe.
Kathy

Closed Thread