It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parkinson's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2010, 12:08 AM   #1
(female)

KaP HB User
Post Parkinson's & Dementia??

Lately, my hubby has forgotten most things,...i.e. where he is, who is here etc. He sleeps 20 hrs. out of the day, but lately he has been getting up when I sleep & doing things. He tried to do the laundry which is just across from our apt. in another building in this complex & he couldn't remember where he lived for an hour & I have found all of the folding closet doors broken. He said he fell into them. Now that I can understand, but this not knowing who is here is scary especially since he thinks our grown sons are little kids again & sometimes doesn't recognize them or me. He also thinks someone is there when they aren't. Does Dementia come on that fast? He has just been diagnosed with PD for the last 5yrs. & he seems to be really going down hill quick. He does take Sinemet, but not much can help with his memory loss I expect? How long can I cope with this? It is hard to watch the love of my life go through this. we have been married 38 yrs. Any suggestions about what I can do for him? I am seeing his doctor Tues. is there something I should ask? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 05-15-2010, 06:06 AM   #2
(female)

Gap2007 HB User
Re: Parkinson's & Dementia??

Dear KaP, I am so sorry that you and your husband are going through this. My husband was diagnosed with PD last year. We think he has had it for over 10 years. right now he is off work, suffering with tremors, stiffness, freezing, shuffling walk, depression, insomnia but not dementia. I can relate as to how difficult it is to watch someone you love suffer and change right before your very eyes. If you need to vent or just bounce your thoughts and frustrations off on someone I am a good "listener". Take care and I hope things get better at least as better as they can get.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2010, 01:21 AM   #3
(female)

clsc HB User

Please go back to the doctor with your spouse and tell him of the dementia symptoms. You do not have to accept every single symptom as something that goes along with Parkinsons and can't be helped.

I know the Exelon Patch is often used in Parkinsons problems with cognition or dementia. I'm sure there are lots of medications out there. If he's already on one, I sympathize with you and hope that the forgetfulness will not continue to progress and he will not go downhill anymore with this. I am assuming you're being aggressive with getting him the best medical care. Good luck to you! We may also be facing a little of this in a few years.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:20 AM   #4
(female)

KaP HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsc View Post
Please go back to the doctor with your spouse and tell him of the dementia symptoms. You do not have to accept every single symptom as something that goes along with Parkinsons and can't be helped.

I know the Exelon Patch is often used in Parkinsons problems with cognition or dementia. I'm sure there are lots of medications out there. If he's already on one, I sympathize with you and hope that the forgetfulness will not continue to progress and he will not go downhill anymore with this. I am assuming you're being aggressive with getting him the best medical care. Good luck to you! We may also be facing a little of this in a few years.
Thanks for you response. I took him back to the dr. and he put him on Aricept after running some cognitive tests, date, who is the pres. & such he looked at his MRI again and said it might be Sub Cortical Dementia. After reading up on it I tend to agree with the doc. but I am still hopeful about slowing the progress down. Lately, he has been sleeping a lot. I expect it could be the meds. causing his sleepiness.
KaP

Old 06-23-2010, 11:27 AM   #5
(female)

wife3 HB User
Smile Re: Parkinson's & Dementia??

I am new to this Board so I am asking alot also. My husband was diagnosed 2006. The last 3 months have gotten worse. He thinks someone is here and they aren't ,he also doesn't know alot of what is real and what he has dreamed or is thinking. He sleeps alot during the day but goes to bed by 9:30 each night and sleeps until around 9AM. He says he gets up alot but I don't hear him. We do not sleep together because he moves his arms around alot and dreams he is fighting. Got hit 2 times not hard but enough to worry us both.I stay up late to listen for him, someone suggested I put a baby monitor in our rooms so I can hear him. Sounds like a good idea. He is on 3 different medications for Parkinson , and 1 for depression and 1 for anxiety. Things are confusing to him and I did get him to give me his truck keys yesterday and I have put them away. He does not need to be driving. How do you read other peoples replies to the postings? Will try to help if I can.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:00 PM   #6
(female)

KaP HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wife3 View Post
I am new to this Board so I am asking alot also. My husband was diagnosed 2006. The last 3 months have gotten worse. He thinks someone is here and they aren't ,he also doesn't know alot of what is real and what he has dreamed or is thinking. He sleeps alot during the day but goes to bed by 9:30 each night and sleeps until around 9AM. He says he gets up alot but I don't hear him. We do not sleep together because he moves his arms around alot and dreams he is fighting. Got hit 2 times not hard but enough to worry us both.I stay up late to listen for him, someone suggested I put a baby monitor in our rooms so I can hear him. Sounds like a good idea. He is on 3 different medications for Parkinson , and 1 for depression and 1 for anxiety. Things are confusing to him and I did get him to give me his truck keys yesterday and I have put them away. He does not need to be driving. How do you read other peoples replies to the postings? Will try to help if I can.
wife3,
What you wrote is exactly how my hubby is acting. We especially moved into a 2br apt. just because of his condition & giving me somewhere to sleep when he gets to thrashing around in bed. You are so right when you talked about his dreaming and thinking meshing into one. He thinks his dreams are so real. He always thinks the grand-kids are visiting.
I awoke this morning to find his little pocket knife on his bed side table. I asked what he was doing with it and he said "sharpening it"
Wow, that is the second time I have been scared! The first was when he went driving without telling me & got lost in our apt. complex. Needless to say he doesn't drive any more.
Should I hide all of the kitchen knives or just his pocket knife? He is starting to worry me a little bit. He would never intentionally hurt me, but this is worrisome.
Let me know how things go with you wife3 & if you don't mind I will let you know about my situation. Email me whenever you like, okay.
Thanks,
KaP

Old 06-23-2010, 07:03 PM   #7
(female)

Lala4 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wife3 View Post

Hi wife3
what is Dementia?
my husband also has parkinson's and sometimes i dont understand him, maybe u can tell me more about it. like to hear from you.

Thanks,

Old 06-23-2010, 11:58 PM   #8
(female)

KaP HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lala4 View Post
Hi wife3
what is Dementia?
my husband also has parkinson's and sometimes i dont understand him, maybe u can tell me more about it. like to hear from you.

Thanks,
Lala4,
Dementia is kind of like Alzheimer's disease. It usually comes with Parkinson's disease. They lose their memory & get confused. My hubby has been diagnosed with PD for the past 4 yrs. & is going downhill fast with his loss of memory & confusion. He has forgotten our son's name & who I am, but not that often. He usually doesn't know what day it is or if its morning or nite time even when it is light outside. It is truly sad to see his decline. He is only 59! He got lost walking outside our apt. I write alot of things down for him but sometimes it doesn't help.
KaP

Old 06-24-2010, 07:45 AM   #9
(female)

Lala4 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaP View Post
Lala4,
Dementia is kind of like Alzheimer's disease. It usually comes with Parkinson's disease. They lose their memory & get confused. My hubby has been diagnosed with PD for the past 4 yrs. & is going downhill fast with his loss of memory & confusion. He has forgotten our son's name & who I am, but not that often. He usually doesn't know what day it is or if its morning or nite time even when it is light outside. It is truly sad to see his decline. He is only 59! He got lost walking outside our apt. I write alot of things down for him but sometimes it doesn't help.
KaP
Kap,

sorry to hear about your hubby. My hubby was diagnosed about two years ago, and he's not taking any kind of medication yet. We are looking for a med that wont give him any side affects.

I've only been married for one year, and dont understand much about the disease.

Any kind of info will help me be a better caregiver to my hubby, thanks.

Lala4

Old 06-24-2010, 08:19 AM   #10
(female)

Lala4 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gap2007 View Post
Dear KaP, I am so sorry that you and your husband are going through this. My husband was diagnosed with PD last year. We think he has had it for over 10 years. right now he is off work, suffering with tremors, stiffness, freezing, shuffling walk, depression, insomnia but not dementia. I can relate as to how difficult it is to watch someone you love suffer and change right before your very eyes. If you need to vent or just bounce your thoughts and frustrations off on someone I am a good "listener". Take care and I hope things get better at least as better as they can get.
Hi Gap2007,

My husband was also diagnosed about two years ago. when I meet him he told me he had PD. And i didnt know what that was until I researched it myself. We got married last year and I would like to be a good caregiver, because I love him. I understand what you said about, it is hard to see the one you love suffer and change right before your eyes, and there is nothing we can do too prevent that to happend.

Please if you have any advice on how to be a good caregiver let me know I would appreciate it, Thanks.

Lala4

Old 06-24-2010, 09:39 AM   #11
(female)

KaP HB User

Lala4,
The only thing I can think of right now is to just be there & try to be support. When he gets angry with no one to blame I let him vent to me or blame me if he must. Always later, he apologizes & I shrug it off. I vent on here & to my 2 grown sons. We have been married 38yrs. & if I couldn't take a bit of abuse from him what kind of wife would I be. I know it's hard, but since he is disabled & off work for the past 7 yrs. I have learned to cope. If I couldn't vent I would go crazy so be certain you have someone to talk to...like this site or someone close to you. If you have a journal write it down that way you can get it off your chest.
Let me know if you have any other questions. I will be happy to answer them if I can.
He sleeps alot, but that won't keep me from worrying. He gets really restless at nite & I have to get up to see what he's doing. Sometimes he gets angry that I ask him what he's doing all the time, but I let it wash over my head. I don't want him to wander off or do something he shouldn't. He never got angry with me before, but the last 5yrs. have me used to it, but not happy with it. We put up with it cause we love them....nuff said.
Good luck.
KaP

Old 06-25-2010, 12:48 PM   #12
(female)

Lala4 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaP View Post
Lala4,
The only thing I can think of right now is to just be there & try to be support. When he gets angry with no one to blame I let him vent to me or blame me if he must. Always later, he apologizes & I shrug it off. I vent on here & to my 2 grown sons. We have been married 38yrs. & if I couldn't take a bit of abuse from him what kind of wife would I be. I know it's hard, but since he is disabled & off work for the past 7 yrs. I have learned to cope. If I couldn't vent I would go crazy so be certain you have someone to talk to...like this site or someone close to you. If you have a journal write it down that way you can get it off your chest.
Let me know if you have any other questions. I will be happy to answer them if I can.
He sleeps alot, but that won't keep me from worrying. He gets really restless at nite & I have to get up to see what he's doing. Sometimes he gets angry that I ask him what he's doing all the time, but I let it wash over my head. I don't want him to wander off or do something he shouldn't. He never got angry with me before, but the last 5yrs. have me used to it, but not happy with it. We put up with it cause we love them....nuff said.
Good luck.
KaP
KaP,

Thank you for the advice.

Lala4

Old 06-25-2010, 12:58 PM   #13
(female)

Lala4 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lala4 View Post
KaP,

Thank you for the advice.

Lala4

KaP,

My dad fell down this morning and broke his foot pinckie toe. I also have to take care of my dad and mom, my dad is disable had 4 surgerys on his back. and is hard to be a caregiver to my husband with PD, and my parents,I also take care of my 4 grandkids. Take care!

Lala4

Old 06-25-2010, 07:26 PM   #14
(female)

KaP HB User

Lala4,
Are you crazy? Are you the caregiver to all of those relatives? Alone? You definitely can't take care of all of those loved ones even if you do care or love them all. 4grandkids too? Wow! That is insane & must be very trying. I thought I had it bad with my 2 grandsons coming this weekend for a visit. At least I don't have to have all of them all of the time like it sounds like you do.
Are you some kind of Angel for your family? You must be cause no one else would do what you are doing I am sure.
Bless you & take care of yourself cause that is hard work watching all of those people I am sure, even though you love them that really is a burden whether intentional or not. I hope you get some time off now and then.
Let me know how it goes.
Take care,
KaP

Old 06-29-2010, 04:17 PM   #15
(female)

Gap2007 HB User

Lala4,
I agree with Kap, you have too much on your shoulders! You can not take care of everyone! the persons you should take care of is your husband and yourself and then if there is time help out with others. Do you have any other family that can help? Get them to help with mom and dad. If not, see what services are available through the community or social services. You are not any good to anyone if you crash and burn.
Let me know how things are going. Take care
Gap2007

Closed Thread