It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parkinson's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2010, 08:51 AM   #1
(male)

JLynzaad HB User
Smile Is there a relationship between Parkinson's and ADD?

I'm a new comer and still need to find my way.

My question actually concern two HealthBoards.

I've been diagnosed with Parkinson's disease in 2007, but suspected this for many years. Both my parents had this disease although their symptoms were quite different.

As child I was very rigid in muscles with little muscle activity. Besides this I was typically ADD (not ADHD).

It has been determined that the shortage of Dopamine could be part of the causes of ADD, while this is definite in Parkinson's. This brings me to my question:

'Has anybody the HealthBoards might know of studied the relationship between ADD and Parkinson's?

I'm very interested in your response.

Thank you
JLynzaad

Last edited by JLynzaad; 09-18-2010 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Spelling

Old 09-25-2010, 08:34 AM   #2
(female)

Pens'nChalk HB User
Re: Relationship Parkinson's and ADD?

you raise an interesting question. I'm a teacher, many of my students with ADD are treated with antidepressants ... I am presently taking an antidepressant ... and am in the PD risk study ... currently diagnosed with MS ...
So, you have me wondering ... is my dopamine level already altered, given my depression following this MS diagnosis?
I have attributed my more recent scatter-brained disorganization to the depression, which is why I finally asked for and received an antidepressant ... and it is helping with my focus in reading, etc.
Could be that all three are related to dopamine ???
~ Mother Teresa

Last edited by Pens'nChalk; 09-25-2010 at 08:47 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2010, 08:55 AM   #3
(male)

JLynzaad HB User

This is exactly the reasoning behind my madness. Dopamine is a neurotransmitter, which over the years have been associated with Parkinson's, MS and other muscular problems.

I have been diagnoesd with PD in 2007. However, a tumor decided to burst inside the pituitary gland. I decided to study this but then determined that Dopamine is actually also responsible for maintaining many functions in the brain. This include emotions, long and short term memory, etc., etc. (I've left out the various brain areas).

In the latest research Dopamine have been identified with ADHD. But one must not forget that decisions have lately been made that ADHD and ADD should beong together wich I do not agree with. ADHD is caused by a lack of GABA neurotransmitters. ADD actualy belongs to people who as kids have difficulty in moving muscles, are not that physically active because of this etc. My viepoint therefore is that ADD and ADHD should not be considered in the same category and ADD should be investigated with dopamine shortages.

Thanks

JLynzaad

Old 09-25-2010, 10:44 AM   #4
(female)

Pens'nChalk HB User

Hi - I found a five year old article on the web md site about dopamine and depression ... which left me further confused ... not sure whether it said low dopamine levels caused depression or mice treated with additional dopamine were depressed ... search dopamine and depression and look for the July 28 2005 article ... I don't think I can post the link itself, but that's how I found it... definitely implied that dopamine was the least investigated and least understood of the transmitters...
~ Mother Teresa

Last edited by Pens'nChalk; 09-25-2010 at 10:45 AM.

Old 09-25-2010, 01:22 PM   #5
(male)

JLynzaad HB User

It is difficult to find cognitive information on ADD that only relates to ADD and not to ADHD (also known as ADDH). However, I have been able to identify common ground between PD and ADD:

Attention Difficulties:
ADD: Difficulty in sustaining attention and concentration. Issues such as excessive daydreaming, distractability, and loosing track of the situation.
PD: Difficulty in maintaining his or her focus or divide his or her attention. This is on both mental and physical activities

Bradyphrenia (slowed mental processing):
ADD: Children with ADD are deficient in energetic aspects of information processes and their excessive slowness in reaction time involves stages following memory search and decision, that is, motor processes.
PD: Difficulty in processing and responding to information. Impacts both other cognitive processes such as problem-solving and retrieving information.

Managing Emotional Aspects
ADD: Difficulty with mood and sensitivity to critisism, frustration and deppression.
PD: The occurrence of depression in the Parkinson population run as high as 90% [Ms. Susan Reese, Director of the Young-Onset Parkinson's Disease Information & Referral Center of the American Parkinson Disease Association'].
One must never forget that the lack of a stable supply of dopamine, causes changes and imbalances of brain chemicals that effect mood and well-being. The complications of PD symptoms have a profound impact on daily life that can be emotionally devastating without help and support.

Executive Dysfunction
ADD: Excessively slow on higher-order mental processes such as problemsolving and planning, initiating and following through on tasks, and multi-tasking ideas or projects.
PD: Difficult with higher-order mental processes such as problemsolving and planning, initiating and following through on tasks, and multi-tasking ideas or projects.

Memory Disturbances:
ADD: Children with ADD require continuous repitition of work in order to remember the information.
PD: Remembering information is the most common difficulty in PD. This includes difficulty comprehending in wordfinding and complex information.

Organizational Aspects Of Work Related Tasks
ADD: Difficulty in organizing work related tasks, prioritizing, and self-motivation
PD: Difficulty in organizing work related tasks, prioritizing, and self-motivation

Last edited by JLynzaad; 09-25-2010 at 01:25 PM. Reason: missing ord: cognitive

Old 09-25-2010, 02:44 PM   #6
(female)

Pens'nChalk HB User

you did a great job of paralleling the signs of ADD and PD ...
The moderator said that i can post the link to the site where I read the study of dopamine and depression and its role as an antidepressant, which caused me to question my current level of dopamine and so seek a re-diagnosis with PD in the crosshairs ... and so get onto the correct medication ... the site is:

http://www.*****.com/depression/news/20050728/dopamine-may-play-new-role-in-depression

"This new study highlights the importance of the dopamine system, a less appreciated target in the current antidepression therapies," he says.

Keep looking, keep writing, your questions are the tip of the iceberg of the many people who share questions and concerns ...
~ Mother Teresa

Old 09-25-2010, 07:04 PM   #7
(male)

JLynzaad HB User

It is now nearly 03:30 AM Sep 26 in South Africa. PD does not let me sleep for more than 6 hours continuously. But after one hour I'm sleepy and battle to keep my eyes open.

Thank you, for your support. At the age of 55 four years ago I decided to study psychology. One reason was some bad treatment given to me by a neurologist who did not want to admit I've got PD.

One major factor (I forgot this in my previous response) with PD and depression is that in at least 25% of all PD cases it first started with depression. The reason for this is that dopamine (DA) is channelized through the pituitary gland (PG) to the various areas in the brain. This includes the frontal lobe which is responsible for regulating your moods and emotions. DA is required to control your serotonin levels.

The PG, the smallest of all the glands in a person's body, certainly has a major task - it also controls the endocrine system via the hypothalamus. From the PG the DA is also channelised to the midbrain (actually right next to the PG) - responsible for regulating with the hypothalamus your activating system - sleep and arousal. I last year had a tumor wich burst inside the PG. Ho long this tumor developed my present neurologist can not tell, he thimks it could be years, but I had a tough time when it burst.

I will study the information on your link. I'm sure it will give me some info to chew on.

I really hope our correspondence gave you some hope and leads to find your problems. Should you have PD, it is important to have it diagnosed as soon as possible. I can recommend to all suffering from PD to enroll with the Parkinsons Disease Foundation and the Michael J Fox Foundation. They provide you valuable information - and it does not cost a cent except if you can provide them a donation.

Thank you.
JLynzaad

Old 09-26-2010, 07:29 AM   #8
(female)

Pens'nChalk HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLynzaad View Post
It is now nearly 03:30 AM Sep 26 in South Africa. PD does not let me sleep for more than 6 hours continuously. But after one hour I'm sleepy and battle to keep my eyes open.

I really hope our correspondence gave you some hope and leads to find your problems.

Thank you.
JLynzaad
It is 10:30 am Sunday morning, and I am just awake after several interrupted spells of sleep with vivid dreams...Happy not to have to respond to an early alarm clock on the weekends...

Hope is a word I use sparingly (and I'll explain that in a moment) ... preferring the word help ... which i offer freely each day in my classroom, and which I receive generously and appreciatively from my partners at school. Your research and analysis of ADD and PD is helpful, and I would be pleased to think that we can continue to communicate whatever we find via this message board.

If you're familiar with the "Pandora's Box" story, you know that Hope was the last item left in the box of all the world'd evils ... I wondered at that as a child ... not why it was left (easy to imagine why - passively lolling on the bottom of the box) but why was hope included in the box of evils ... and realized as I grew that hope was a passive response to a need, an evil lack of real response ... and so more responsibly replaced with "help" and all of her synonyms ...

I'm sure you can give examples of people you have helped ... emotionally, tangibly, materially ... can you say the same of people you "offered hope" or told to "have hope"? I can't say that I can ... and so I resist the word hope, and replace it with more active verbs and nouns ... like help, or seek help, or plan, or try, or will, or find a way ... and I feel better for the participatory responsible actions I have offered in lieu of the passive, wishful "hope".When instead of offering hope I offer prayers for someone, asking from above help for someone here, I ask to also be guided to find a way to help them here myself... and send prayers of gratitude when I realize they have been helped.

Your research gives me help, and inspires me to continue to seek more. I thank you for that help and inspiration ... and I hold both in higher esteem than hope.

Stepping off my soap box now, believing I haven't offended anyone.
~ Mother Teresa

Last edited by Pens'nChalk; 09-26-2010 at 07:36 AM.

Old 09-26-2010, 10:10 AM   #9
(male)

JLynzaad HB User
Re: Is there a relationship between Parkinson's and ADD?

I feel very, very small. I previously wrote that I'm studying psychology - totally true, but in a pastoral context. To be of service to the Lord for all His Grace I've received.

I will include you in my prayers, not only for Him to help you and guide you, but also as a thank you to you for inspiring me on the way.

Thank you

Jan

Last edited by JLynzaad; 09-26-2010 at 10:16 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 09-26-2010, 12:33 PM   #10
(female)

Pens'nChalk HB User
Re: Is there a relationship between Parkinson's and ADD?

Hi Jan,
Thank you for inspiring me to continue searching ... and for allowing me a moment on the soap box ...

We are all small, finite in this world, but perhaps eternal in what we leave with others: thoughts, messages, visits, examples, and stories ... I have a website where I post helpful pages for my students, and gentle memories for my grandchildren ... I will put the site in my profile, and invite you to visit there when the world around you gets noisy and you wish for something soft and positive to read. You will find no reference to MS or PD at the site, as it is not something I share with my students or their parents at this time... my friends and family are all I need to inform. At school, keeping their confidence is what keeps me successful in the classroom.

I thank you for your prayers, and share mine as well with yours.
~ Mother Teresa

Closed Thread