It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parkinson's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2001, 10:45 AM   #1

SusanM HB User
Unhappy seborrehic dermatitis

I know that seborrehic dermatitis can be associated with Parkinsons disease, and I was hoping that anyone who has had it could share some of their experiences with it. I have what may be an atypical case of it, and it has caused me a great deal of distress. I have had an itchy redness in my scalp for most of the last five years. The only time it went away was when I got pregnant two years ago. Following childbirth it came back, and a month later I also developed a redness that runs down the center of my face. My faces itches terribly. I feel it inside my nose (not something associated with seb det) deep in my ears, on my eyelid edges, and on my neck as well. It feels much worse than it looks.. No scaling, just red inflamation. The itching is usually pinpoint, is very intense, and lasts about a minute. One spot will itch, then another. Deep in my ears it feels like a crawling sensation. I have been living with this facial part of it for 8 months now, and it is much more difficult to live with than the scalp problem. Prescriptions meds have never helped much. All they do is keep the symptoms slightly less severe. I have used selenium sulfide, nizoral creme and shampoo, metrocreme, corticosteriods, and antihistimines (spelling?). Nothing has ever cleared it up!!! I've had problems with my thyroid, but regulated levels have not helped, and may not be a part of it??? I have very high antithyroid antibodies and my primary care doc thinks it may be an autoimmune problem. My dermatologist don't know and say it may be a combination of seborrheic dermatitis and rosacea. I also have had a lot of problems with unusual sensation when on certain meds (tingling in my hands and feet, involuntary thumb twitching, vibrating sensation in my foot, and almost like an electrical sensation that ran through part of my face every few seconds for a couple of days) I don't know if any of this is related. I only know that I have had a number of strange health problems for the past five years, and the only firm diagnosis I have is thyroid disease. Any input regarding seborrheic dermatitis or whatever is appreciated.

The following user gives a hug of support to SusanM:
Sophia M (12-22-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to SusanM For This Useful Post:
Sophia M (12-22-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2001, 03:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Bruce HB User
Susan, I am not a doctor and I don't claim to be an expert, but I researched your condition. Based on what you wrote, it looks like you are probably feeling miserable.

Seborrheic dermatitis: this is a skin condition characterized by oily or dry white scales. It may involve the skin of the scalp, face, nose, eyebrows, behind the ears and the skin of the trunk. The cause is unknnown.

This condition tends to run in families. Stress, fatigue, weather extremes, oily skin, infrequent shampoos or skin cleaning, skin disorders such as acne, obesity, or the use of lotions containing alcohol may increase risk.

The diagnosis is based on the appearance and location of the skin lesions.

Shampoos or lotions containing ketaconazole (anti fungal agent), selenium, or cortico steroids.

This is a chronic condition that is controllable with treatment. The tendency to develop this condition can be lessened by careful attention to skin care.This condition is associated with Parkinson's disease.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Bruce

Old 03-16-2001, 04:17 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

Googy HB User
This is what I use on Bill,not for the eyes though.His is everywhere."Kenolog".A little dab will do it.

Try it, you will need a prescription.

Googy

Old 03-16-2001, 06:51 PM   #4

LiceN HB User
I used to have to take "Kenolog"injections due to intense allergies. I had the deep itching in the throat, ear(One side) neck, and eyes. It surely gave me some relief. Hope you find something to help, as it is a miserable condition. Betty D.

Old 03-20-2001, 01:40 PM   #5

SusanM HB User
Thanks for the responses. I have used Lidex which is a more modern version of Kenolog, at least that's what my pharmacist says. Unfortunately, it does not clear the rash. Still hanging in. Susan

Old 03-20-2001, 04:24 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

Bruce HB User
Susan, sorry to hear you still have the skin problem. I avoided looking up lotions, etc because it has been deleted in the past.

Have you considered seeing another dermatologist? Bruce

Old 03-21-2001, 10:16 AM   #7

SusanM HB User
Yes, I actually have seen two dermatologists in the last half year. The one I am currently seeing is at a teaching hospital. Susan

Old 03-21-2001, 02:35 PM   #8

seasongood HB User
Bruce, I had posted a message to Susan and mentioned I had used a lotion, but did not name the lotion. I also mentioned a treatment I had and was fairly specific about it even though I did it strictly for cosmetic reasons. My reply didn't get posted. Is this because it seemed that I was recommending a treatment?

------------------

Old 03-21-2001, 03:59 PM   #9
Senior Veteran

Bruce HB User
Yes, I am sure of it. They think it is advertizing or like a commercial. Bruce

Closed Thread