It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parkinson's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2001, 01:57 PM   #1

JB* HB User
Post incontenance

HI all
I've been a lurker for a while and haven't seen a post about this. My 73 year old mother has been diagnosed and treated for parkinsens for a few years now. Her worst problem right now is incontenance. She won't go out any more it is so bad. She is still pretty perky mentally and can get around pretty good also. It's sad to see her have to stay at home because of this problem. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2001, 04:56 PM   #2

Carrotcake HB User
There are two major types of incontinence - Urge incontinence and Stress Incontinence. From my experience with my own Mum, she has a type of urge incontinence. This is a result of urinary frequency from PD and its meds, and the fact that she cannot get to the bathroom fast enough. Stress Incontinence is when there is some type of pressure exerted on the bladder and so urine seeps out of it suddenly. An example is when one sneezes, and urine comes out. The underlying cause of stress incontinence can be varied.

In your Mum's case, it seems she is able to get to the bathroom on time I assume from what you have written, so the cause of her continence probably needs to be evaluated further by a Urologist. She will need to undergo what is called Urodynamic testing to identify the cause of her incontinence and whether it is PD related.

There are meds out there to treat frequency but should be used with some caution in PD and with a neurologist's consent. Examples are Detrol, Ditropan , Ditropan XL. Sometimes surgical intervention is necessary.

So ask your Mum some questions such as what propels her to be incontinent. Is she getting to the bathroom fast enough; is she having to go to the bathroom very frequently; is she aware when urine seeps out of her; is it worse at certain times of day, did this problem appear suddenly or gradually, etc.

This is probably more than you wanted to know, but I thought I'd give you as best an answer I could, since My Mum has a similar problem and have been through the hoops with her.

I hope this helps you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2001, 05:36 PM   #3

LiceN HB User
I am glad to see this problem of incontenance
addressed. My husband(has had PD 8-10 yrs)
has had this problem since January. He gets up every two hours, sometimes less than that, prepares himself to urinate when his feet hit the floor. The Neuro. suggested using a leg bag, and that was a complete failure. I put him in Depends with extra pads,and he still gets up, pulls them off and goes back to bed, at times, without any protection. He dribbles all the way to the toilet, and many times uses the lavatory, glass, floor, tub....anything. The Urologist gave him "Flomax" to relax the bladder where it could retain more urine. The Neurologist took him off of that. My call to the Neurologist was never returned. My husband has dementia, and doesn't remember anything about the night before. He naps during the day, making up for sleep lost, but I am losing too much sleep, not made up. He also has a wet bed by morning. Does anyone have any suggestions besides trying to get the Urologist to give him one of the meds that Carrotcake mentioned. I understand that Drs don't like to give these drugs as there is a good chance that the person's water base balance will be affected. Open for any suggestions. Betty D.

Old 04-11-2001, 08:22 PM   #4

Carrotcake HB User
Betty D.
This is what I do with my Mum (she has very poor mobility)and has helped quite a bit in lessening my work load in cleaning up after accidents! She also needs to relieve herself every 1.5 - 2 hours.

I have waterproof covers on the mattress top and bottom, I then have a mattress pad on top of that. I put the bed sheet on it. On top of the sheet,I place a waterproof underpad where my Mum's bottom is going to be, like the ones they use in the hospital and nursing homes. This is just the bed. So if she has an accident, I normally just have to change the underpad.
A lifesaver has been a bedside commode. I would urge anyone with urinary frequency and PD to get this. I place it right next to the bed, so all she has to do is get out of bed and onto the commode. Oh, and just to avoid more cleaning up, I put a large bath mat (one with plastic backing and one that is machine washable) underneath the commode (a 24"x50") works great. So in case of dribbling, I just throw it in the washing machine. A towel can be used temporarily.

During the day, She does not wear any protective pads unless she is going out,then I have her wear a Depends. At night, I lay a diaper underneath her and pull it up a bit at the front, in case she is in deep sleep and pees anyway. I do not tape it at sides because she finds it too confining. So far it has worked fine. No more accidents to clean up after!

I have heard some folks swear by cranberry extract pills that you can get at most drugstores. They apparently do more than just prevent UTIs. They have helped some with urinary frequency too. I have not tried them on Mum yet. The problem with Prescription meds such as Detrol, Flomax, etc., is urinary retention something that PD already has as one of its symptoms, and some also cause confusion.

For males another thing that comes to mind is a portable urinal that can be placed near the bedside.

To order things like underpads,commodes, portable urinal, check out websites such as [url="http://www.momsup.com."]www.momsup.com.[/url] You may also be able to get a used bedside commode at your local Goodwill,Salvation Army store, and also through ads in the local trading post or newspaper.

Old 04-12-2001, 09:18 AM   #5

JB* HB User
Thanks for your replies. She is wearing a Depends all the time now. I think that is the problem. Before she could at least make it to the bathroom once in a while, now she can't. They don't want to give her any more drugs. I wonder about the cranberry pills. May be worth a try.

Old 04-12-2001, 12:51 PM   #6

LiceN HB User
Thanks for the suggestions. I think I will look for the cranberry pills at our Health Store. When I take him to town, he has to wear a Depends, too. I go into rest room and help him, as he cannot get pants unbuttoned and unzipped, plus get the depends down.(This is if there is no one in the rest room)
If I leave it to him, he wets his pants all down the leg, and we have to come home. He does fairly well during day(not as confused), but when night comes, he really has "sundowners syndrome". He is on seroquil for the hallucinations, l00 mg/night. I do have a waterproof mattress cover, plus a vinyl one on top of mattress pad, plus large beach towel and draw sheet. I can't use a pad, as it would never stay in place. He gets into the bed, getting up on a small heavy stool, and crawls into position. I have to push his legs into place. He is on Sinemet and comtan, but last dose is about 9 p.m. He is taking a sleeping capsule that doesn't seem to work. He is still up and down all night.I will see about getting the commode chair. I am afraid he will pass it by, and go to the bath. We have all kinds of lights on all night so he can see, but things just don't seem to register with him.
I tried the urinal by bedside, and it got knocked over, and half of the time ignored.
I have wool carpeting in master bedroom and now will have to have it replaced with tile or whatever. Didn't mean to write so much. Thanks for letting me bend your ear, JB, and Carrotcake. Betty D.

Closed Thread