It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parkinson's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2002, 04:38 PM   #1

Hopalong5us HB User
Smile Scholarships for son of PD patient

This is wonderful, I just found this site.
I have been diagnosed with PD for about 7 years and am middle 40's male with about 4-5 years, hopefully, yet to work. I am searching for some help to get my son a scholarship for college. Does anyone know if there is some type of scholarship for children of PD patients?
Hopalong

Old 03-03-2002, 07:07 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Googy HB User
I wish there were.Our children all worked part time and went to college.They all did well.My husband was only 52 when his company put him out to pasture.I know there are many just like him.

Googy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2002, 07:12 PM   #3

Hopalong5us HB User
Thanks Googy,
It is great to talk to someone who knows what it is like. May I ask what your husband does now?
Hopy

Old 03-04-2002, 02:22 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

Googy HB User
Hopy, My husband is very disabled in a wheelchair with dementia. But it has been almost 28 yrs.With you and the many plwp's there will be a cure.Did you read Bruce's posts,he keeps us well informed.He has had the DBS surgery ,but un successful.Ruth also had the surgery hers has made her a new person.
Nice meeting you,

Googy

Old 03-05-2002, 09:59 PM   #5

Hopalong5us HB User
Thumbs up

Googy,
Thanks for the kind words. I really hope their is a cure. I am always afraid I passed this to my children. I have a good doctor though and she believes it will be cured.
hoppy.

Old 03-07-2002, 07:35 AM   #6
LoryJ

Quote:
Originally posted by Hopalong5us:
This is wonderful, I just found this site.
I have been diagnosed with PD for about 7 years and am middle 40's male with about 4-5 years, hopefully, yet to work. I am searching for some help to get my son a scholarship for college. Does anyone know if there is some type of scholarship for children of PD patients?
Hopalong
Hi, Hoppy - don' tknow if this will help, but I receiveed a very obscure scholarship whil ein high school, and got it 3 years running because no oone else applied. Check with the school counselors or info on this site, or the internet to check for available scholarships. Also, I don't know if NPF or ADPA or other associations, perhaps your State organization or even your support group could have funds and/or information. What area is he thinking about studying? Good luck, and keep us posted --ah, to workwith the young folks is invigorating to the soul. Lory

Old 03-09-2002, 06:19 AM   #7

Hopalong5us HB User
Smile

Hi Lory,

What my son is considering chemistry or computer science or a combination of the two. He told mea long time ago he was going to find a cure, you never know....
It's a real challenge trying to help the kids, save for the future and try to enjoy what good time I have left, kinda depressing thinking about it!

Hoppy

Old 03-09-2002, 01:12 PM   #8
Senior Veteran

Googy HB User
Hopy,

I thought I would pass this on to you.My grandson had an internship at a TV station here.You could look into that for your son in the fields that you mentioned.

Good Luck,

Googy

Old 03-09-2002, 01:35 PM   #9

Hopalong5us HB User
Wink

Thanks Googy, That's a good idea. He is wanting to go to a top notch school in Illinois. He's 7th in his class and an all conference selection to the football team. He gets his smarts from his mom and his stubborn bullheaded football from me.
You know how it is you just want the best for the kids...
Thanks for the idea!

Hoppy

Closed Thread