It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parkinson's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2003, 08:47 PM   #1

saintlyme HB User
Post parkinson and lyme disease?

Did you know that Michael J. Fox was diagnosed with lyme disease three years before being diagnosed with Parkinson? Did you know that 4 workers on his movie set were also diagnosed with Parkinson? The movie set was in Conn. - lyme country. My brother in law was diagnosed 20 years ago with Parkinson, 10 years before that he was bitten by a tick while camping. He is starting his research on the correlation between the two! My husband was diagnosed with bipolar, dementia, degeneration of the brain, parkinson, etc. etc. Four months ago he was finally tested for lyme disease tests were positive including spect scan. He has been on antibotics for four months now and doing quite well. Each month he gets better and better. I had to fight tooth and nail for a Doctor to listen to me to no avail. Finally, I took him to see a Lyme Literate Doctor and the rest is history. Just wanted you to know and to take your conditions into your own hands, the Dr.s don't know everything. We are living proof of that. Best Wishes.

Saintlyme

The following user gives a hug of support to saintlyme:
cynpiece (01-11-2012)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to saintlyme For This Useful Post:
cynpiece (01-11-2012), neffer97 (04-14-2012)
Old 08-28-2003, 10:53 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Bruce HB User
This is just for your information. I have worked as a hoapital microbiologist for 28 years, before retiring with pd.

Indiana is not a lyme disease state, however, a doctor friend brought in a tick which was probably in the nymph stage, because it was very tiny. We identified it as the tick (usually a deer tick) that carrys the Lyme Disease organism. Although we are not in an endemic area, Lyme Disease is not diagnosed very often. I agree with you that the average physician will probably misdiagnose it.

90% of persons biten by the deer tick develop a rash around the infected area, and, if treated right away, the infection will clear up.

Left untreated, many organs can be affected, including the nervous system, but may still be teatable. The blood test does give false positives, but the fact your dad is improving on antibiotics and gave a positive Lyme test, indicates you are right on target.

When i was attending meatings, one was a real learning experience. They would present the history of the patient, and show some slides and we would diagnose the case. One thing that narrowe it down was the state the patient lived. One came from the SouthWest and was infected while cleaning a rabbit. First thought, Tuleremia. Wrond, The bacteria that causes the plague i common in that area.

The doctors who misdiagnose your dad should have ruled out Lyme Disease, because he livea in an endemic area,

Bruce

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2004, 08:40 AM   #3
Veteran

dancergirl587 HB User
Re: parkinson and lyme disease?

I just ran across this last night and wanted to respond even though it is an old post. Lyme disease and PD are very often misdiagnosed as the other. Lyme disease is everywhere, it's not just up north we have it in every state. And the majority of people do not have a rash. Docters are always passing off LD and instead diagnosing us with chronic fatigue, fibro, PD, MS, ect ect.. A lot of the symptoms are the same as well. The boards here have a wonderful section on lyme disease. I hope that no matter what you're family gets the right diagnoses and gets to feeling better soon! And Im not just crashing this healthboard, I have Lyme disease and I think my grandmother might have PD I'll post more on that later though.... God bless!

Old 02-16-2005, 12:23 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

dealer1111 HB User
Re: parkinson and lyme disease?

To be clear if I was dx. with PD, I would 100% get a lyme test and with no doubts get to a Lyme Doctor...

You must do this for your self and no one else!!!

Closed Thread