It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parkinson's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2010, 09:56 PM   #1
(female)

lizzyv HB User
In search of caregiver information

Dear All,

This is my first time posting; I'm turning to this online Parkinson's-specific community in hopes of finding resources to aid in the care of my grandmother.

My maternal grandmother has Parkinson's disease, and is fairly far-along in disease progression. She is 88 years old, and has Parkinson's related dementia. She currently resides with my parents with the aid of a daytime, night time, and weekend care giver. She does require the assistance of these caregivers to facilitate movement as well as to manage her mental state, which tends to worsen as the day goes on.

We are in the difficult situation of having the daytime caretaker resign; thus, I am hoping someone might have a suggestion for a resource or network that provides at-home care for people with Parkinson's, and if possible, those specifically with dementia.

I am extremely open to any and all suggestions - our goal is to keep her at home and under our care, and hopefully avoid a nursing home situation where her care will almost certainly decrease in quality and quantity.

Thanks,
Liz

Old 11-11-2010, 04:01 PM   #2
(female)

Pens'nChalk HB User
Re: In search of caregiver information

Sorry you've had no responses ... this is a fairly quiet board, and I'm sure people understand your family's struggle, and share your concern.
Nursing Home care is not the only answer in many communities. If it is daylight hours you are seeking coverage for, you might call your local elder services office and ask about day activity programs. We were able to find one adequately staffed and physically safe in a local church. Some assisted living communities may offer such.
Wishing you a peaceful, successful solution. <<<hugs>>>
~ Mother Teresa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2011, 08:24 PM   #3
(female)

Vashtia HB User
Thumbs up Re: In search of caregiver information

I googled Parkinson's and caregiver a little while ago in the hopes of finding some advice for my mother. Sad to read the caregiver board is a quiet one because it's so hard going it alone. A couple of years ago, I defied my siblings by "allowing" my elderly parents to remain in their own home rather than placing them in an assisted living facility. Here is the support I have found to make it possible and perhaps by making inquiries you, too, will find one or two reliable caregivers. We hired a morning and an afternoon caregiver and both women were recommended to me by the Area Agency on Aging. My parents have received care through the Visiting Nurse Association in various ways depending on their health issues: physical therapy, bath nurses and a geriatric case manager. The geriatric case manager helped so much with troubleshooting issues related to safety and my feelings of incompetence and frustration. Also, I worked for a Faith in Action agency that trains volunteers to provide a little help where needed --- friendly visits, respite care, transportation to the Dr. Hope this helps ---

Closed Thread