It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parkinson's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2011, 02:22 PM   #1
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User
Please, advice...

Hi to everyone! Happy and healthy New Year to you

I was diagnosed with early stages of PD 3 month ago. I am not on medicine yet, my Neurologist wants to watch me for couple of month, I have to see him every 3 month. The thing is, I have cluster of auto-immune conditions, one of which is RA (rheumatoid arthritis) and I am on biological treatments for couple of years now. PD meds and RA meds can't be in one body unfortunately. It means I will have to make a choice between "my mind" goes or "physical well been" goes since RA is progresses on organs (which happened already for my lungs and heart) and every little joint, muscle, ligaments, etc.

I am terrified of what is going on with me and for the choices I will have to make. For some reason, I cant comprehend that I do have PD. I do have changes in a brain since I am 50, but I thought this is only due to MS, but obviously something more is going on. Then I developed right hand shakes and not all the time. Right leg sometimes shakes as well.
But the worst part is my memory, balance which I thought due to my severe spinal problems and dropped foot as a result, but it's not getting better for sure. I was always very sharp, my friends and co-workers called me "walking encyclopedia", but I start to forget words. Not the names, which is normal with age (I am 56 now), but words. It very frustrating, embarrassing when you talk to people and simple word just slipped your mind. Let's say I am talking about weather and say: "We got such a ....." the simple word either "snow or rain" just would disappeared from my brain.
Yes, my vision is very blurry but I do have optic Neuritis due to MS, so I never put 2 and 2 together.
I have problems swallowing and according to my Neurologist and RA Doctors my arms and legs are very rigid (which i thought due to RA).
But what scares me the most is the fact that I get confused.
Come on, I used to work in financial world, I worked on Wall Street and was responsible for millions ++ of $$$ and never had any forgetful or confused moments. Now, I forget why I am here, where am I going. I had to get to a beauty salon for my hair cut where I go for at least 20 years. It's about 10 min away from my house. In the middle of the road, I completely forgot where this salon is and when I tried to memorize where this is, what street it's on and how does it look, I couldn't do it. I had to stop and call my husband who got so scared for me! I was staying there and crying trying to memorize on my own and couldn't do it for anything.
What is this? Please, share with me your thoughts, I really need to hear from you, dear people.

My QUESTION here is:
please, someone let me know what is your symptoms of PD? Can it be misdiagnosed or be taken for some other condition? I am afraid to be misdiagnosed and give up on my RA medication and start something I dont need. Do you even know cases when people were misdiagnosed with PD? My Neurologist is very well known in a country, he is PHD in this field and has excellent reputation. So far he never failed me since I have many nerve damages after my failed spinal fusions. But his specialty is PD...

Blessings,
Moldova

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2011, 02:47 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: Please, advice...

Hi I have seen several people with PD and have noticed that many although not all have some type of stomach problem. They have often had a lot of antacids of various types. Some have had parts of stomachs removed. I have read that the stomach had a connection with the brain. Of course everything that we eat goes in the stomach and some of it hopefully nourishes the brain. If the stomach becomes disordered lots of times much of the rest of the body is affected in one way or another. Everybody aught to be very careful about what goes in the mouth. Hope this provides a little insight.

Closed Thread