It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parkinson's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2011, 12:40 PM   #1
(female)

alisewell HB User
acute foot pain - is it due to parkinson's Disease?

I am 55 years old. Over the last 2 years pain in my right ankle/foot has become increasingly painful, pain is becoming unbearable, although pain levels can vary during the day, no pain when I am in bed. I need crutches to walk most of the time and walking on uneven ground or ground sloping away from my foot is extremely painful.

My Orthopedic consultant injected steroids/anaesthetic into the ankle directly 2ce last year. The first time worked for a few weeks, second time appeared not to make much difference, he wants to do it again as he says there is nothing further he can do. Last year I had botox injections in the calf which did not work. My Parkinson’s Disease Consultant has increased my medication in the hope of improvement which hasn’t occurred and I want to be able to go to him on my next appointment in April and present him with other options and just urgently require some help and advice. I also wore a cast for 6 months last year, there were improvements but within a few months as bad as ever.

Case notes
• I had a torn ligament, and thus had an operation on my right ankle approx 11 years ago to form a new ligament
• I have Morton’s neuroma’s in both feet.
• My right foot had a neuroma removed about 8 years ago, along with some small ones.
• My toe next to the big toe has developed into a hammer toe in the last couple of weeks
• I was diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease 6 years ago
• My Parkinson’s consultant thinks there could be a dystonia connection with my foot problem

Symptoms
• ankle swelling (particularly at back of and under outside ankle joint)
• toe swelling,
• under the arch extremely is painful when putting the foot flat to the floor, thus compensating by weighting the outside of the foot
• two toes next to big toe starting to bend towards big toe
• Vibration (similar to a tuning fork sensation) and areas of numbness/difference in sensation

Points of pain are:
• under the arch of the foot (hurts when pressed, sometimes little nodule can be felt)
• below the inside ankle joint,
• all along the lower outside of foot,
• between toe joints (Morton’s Neuromas)
• toe joints
• The pain can at times go up through the knee into the hip joint although this is not constant.
• sometimes extremely sensitive to touch under the arch of the foot

I used to love walking and now even walking round the house is so painful any advice will be taken on board - PLEASE HELP

Any advice or discussion welcome.

Thank you,

Ali

Last edited by alisewell; 04-10-2011 at 12:53 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2011, 09:30 AM   #2
(female)

rbmfriend HB User
Re: acute foot pain - is it due to parkinson's Disease?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisewell View Post
I am 55 years old. Over the last 2 years pain in my right ankle/foot has become increasingly painful, pain is becoming unbearable, although pain levels can vary during the day, no pain when I am in bed. I need crutches to walk most of the time and walking on uneven ground or ground sloping away from my foot is extremely painful.

My Orthopedic consultant injected steroids/anaesthetic into the ankle directly 2ce last year. The first time worked for a few weeks, second time appeared not to make much difference, he wants to do it again as he says there is nothing further he can do. Last year I had botox injections in the calf which did not work. My Parkinson’s Disease Consultant has increased my medication in the hope of improvement which hasn’t occurred and I want to be able to go to him on my next appointment in April and present him with other options and just urgently require some help and advice. I also wore a cast for 6 months last year, there were improvements but within a few months as bad as ever.

Case notes
• I had a torn ligament, and thus had an operation on my right ankle approx 11 years ago to form a new ligament
• I have Morton’s neuroma’s in both feet.
• My right foot had a neuroma removed about 8 years ago, along with some small ones.
• My toe next to the big toe has developed into a hammer toe in the last couple of weeks
• I was diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease 6 years ago
• My Parkinson’s consultant thinks there could be a dystonia connection with my foot problem

Symptoms
• ankle swelling (particularly at back of and under outside ankle joint)
• toe swelling,
• under the arch extremely is painful when putting the foot flat to the floor, thus compensating by weighting the outside of the foot
• two toes next to big toe starting to bend towards big toe
• Vibration (similar to a tuning fork sensation) and areas of numbness/difference in sensation

Points of pain are:
• under the arch of the foot (hurts when pressed, sometimes little nodule can be felt)
• below the inside ankle joint,
• all along the lower outside of foot,
• between toe joints (Morton’s Neuromas)
• toe joints
• The pain can at times go up through the knee into the hip joint although this is not constant.
• sometimes extremely sensitive to touch under the arch of the foot

I used to love walking and now even walking round the house is so painful any advice will be taken on board - PLEASE HELP

Any advice or discussion welcome.

Thank you,

Ali
Ali, This sounds just like me. I am searching for answers for my severe L ankle pain that feels like I am being stabbed or burned with a branding iron. I have Parkinson's. Am 60 yrs old. Have you found answers? I am pressuring my docs to dig deeper because this is so debilitating. rbmfriend

Old 08-26-2011, 01:35 PM   #3
(female)

alisewell HB User
Re: acute foot pain - is it due to parkinson's Disease?

Well after having 3 different opinions which didn't help at all. The all blamed the Parkinson's, but eventually I was directed to a very good pediatrist, my fingers are crossed as he was the only one so far to be able to give me some answers and appeared to locate the pain which the consultants didn't manage to do.
I collected my innersoles today which I, to be honest, didn't think would work, but my has been a lot better today, obviously time will tell as one day is nothing to go by. I am then seeing a physiotherapist who the podiatrist recommended and for the first time for a LONG time, I am feeling a little more optimistic.

I hope this helps

Ali

Closed Thread