It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parkinson's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2011, 11:35 PM   #1
(female)

Lenel HB User
Parkinson and breathing difficulty

I am having problems with breathing during the off period, and sometimes nausea mostly in the morning. I take sinemet and slegeline. During breathing problem it feels like the air is sucked out of my lungs, and lying down helps. My doctor says my lungs are clear. I would like to find out if other patients in the community have similar experience and what do they do to overcome this problem. I take 8 sinemet (25/100) and 2 selegeline.

Old 09-18-2011, 08:32 PM   #2
(male)

jasmith89 HB User
Re: Parkinson and breathing difficulty

I have the same thing or something close, nearly every waking hour on bad days. Respiratory dyskinesia. I can inhale with no problems, but once my lungs are full, my stomach and ribcage tighten, and I hold my breath then release it in bursts, most of which I can't control. In a word, I pant like a dog. It wastes a lot of energy and is exhausting. I try to relax, and take long, slow breaths as in meditation. Hope that helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2011, 08:56 AM   #3
(female)

NCgranny1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenel View Post
I am having problems with breathing during the off period, and sometimes nausea mostly in the morning. I take sinemet and slegeline. During breathing problem it feels like the air is sucked out of my lungs, and lying down helps. My doctor says my lungs are clear. I would like to find out if other patients in the community have similar experience and what do they do to overcome this problem. I take 8 sinemet (25/100) and 2 selegeline.
I am also experiencing breathing difficulties. The prognosis appears to be that the Parkinson's is affecting the diaphragm, which causes my breaths to be "shallow" Has anyone else experienced anything like this? My doctors act "clueless." If I take a relaxant (i.e. Xanas or Ativan) it seems to help for awhile. I've been through sleep disorder tests, and am currently using a CPAP at night, which seems to help somewhat.
I've had DBS surgery twice (the latest in April, 2011) and this manifestation of the disease, if it is indeed due to Parkinson's, has appeared since that time. Doctors do not seem to want to admit there could be any connection to Parrkinson's, but I think there is!

Old 10-15-2011, 08:58 AM   #4
(female)

NCgranny1 HB User

Thank you!

Old 10-13-2012, 09:38 PM   #5
(female)

Lenel HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgranny1 View Post
I am also experiencing breathing difficulties. The prognosis appears to be that the Parkinson's is affecting the diaphragm, which causes my breaths to be "shallow" Has anyone else experienced anything like this? My doctors act "clueless." If I take a relaxant (i.e. Xanas or Ativan) it seems to help for awhile. I've been through sleep disorder tests, and am currently using a CPAP at night, which seems to help somewhat.
I've had DBS surgery twice (the latest in April, 2011) and this manifestation of the disease, if it is indeed due to Parkinson's, has appeared since that time. Doctors do not seem to want to admit there could be any connection to Parrkinson's, but I think there is!
This diaphragm approach may have something. How do we confirm it, and how do we fix it? Is Parkinson medicine the best to cope with this?

Old 02-23-2013, 06:35 PM   #6
(female)

Remedygirl HB User

The medication is causing your breathing problem. Google in "Once Upon A Pill"
It describes in detail personal journals of parkinson's patients. Good luck.

Reply Reply