It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parkinson's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2011, 10:55 AM   #1
(male)

jhammer HB User
Parkinson's and stress

Does anyone else have problems with their PD during stressful situations? My neuro has increased my Sinemet and is putting me on Requip because my PD is apparently worsening. My family has me so stressed out with drama and stupid things that I'm about to lose it. I have never had so many problems with tremors and I can barely walk anymore. Not to mention, I'm constantly freezing and dropping things and my mind is in scrambles as well. It was never this bad before. Long story short, I have 2 members of my family that are constantly at each other's throats and no matter what I say or do, I still end up getting involved somehow. (Against my wishes and usually unknowingly too.)

Last edited by jhammer; 12-13-2011 at 10:57 AM.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:44 AM   #2
(female)

cejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB User
Re: Parkinson's and stress

Yes. If my husband is worried or stressed his tremors are worse, speech and memory deteriorate and he constantly talks about the concern. I am able to tread lightly these days and ensure that there are no worries in his life [I also lie a bit!!] I have no answer to a difficult family situation other than to say that your well being should be made very clear to them and the effect of their dramas on you.

The Following User Says Thank You to cejayb For This Useful Post:
jhammer (12-15-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2011, 06:45 PM   #3
(male)

jhammer HB User

The stress has been relieved because I informed them that I was highly considering cutting any and all ties to them. I said that my health and well being should be more important than any drama.

It does make a lot of sense now because my wife tells me that I go on and on way too much about the said issue.

Old 12-17-2011, 08:24 PM   #4
(female)

cejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB User

You made me smile as the 'eyes' are exactly how I feel when my husband gets agitated!!
Hope that your strong stance has worked and you all have a very peaceful and pleasant Christmas season. Take care.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:08 PM   #5
(male)

flex77 HB User

Yes...stress can and will aggravate your symptoms...or may trigger them as well.
FIRST
I have found huge benefits in using Music Therapy to help relieve stress and aid in better mood control. Have a knowledgeable friend or relative make you a half a dozen or so CDs of your favorite music....each CD being for a different purpose. For example you might have a classical CD for relaxing, a "morning CD" with your favorite morning music, a "workout" or exercise CD with upbeat motivational music (theme from "Rocky" etc.)...and so forth. A small CD player with speakers is cheap and easy to use. Chose one with well marked large buttons. Music Therapy has been shown in studies to be as effective at mood improvement as antidepressant medications. TRY IT. It is ESPECIALLY helpful for people with nervous system disorders (like Parkinsons)

SECOND
Check with your Neurologist to consider altering your dosing schedule to avoid peaks and valleys in your Levadopa blood level. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT....Google this: Pulsatile Levadopa Administration"

THIRD
Monitor your overall energy levels. We all have good days, bad days, strong days and off days. You are probably less tolerant of stress on off days. Try to stay in tune with your body

Best of luck

Old 02-01-2012, 12:43 PM   #6
(male)

jhammer HB User

I seem to be able to handle things a little better now. The neurologist put me on Carb/Levo CR as well as my usual Carb/Levo. Tremors are practically gone and my walking has improved, but my cognitive issues such as memory, thinking, etc. are bad as usual.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:37 AM   #7
(female)

annaparky HB User

Yes. My tremors get worst when I'm in a stressful environment or people. I basically stay away from people who generates the stress.
Its hard but I decided to separate myself from toxic negative people. I believe it accelerates PD which we do not want.

The Following User Says Thank You to annaparky For This Useful Post:
jhammer (02-09-2012)
Old 05-28-2012, 07:16 PM   #8
(female)

rebekah1972 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhammer View Post
Does anyone else have problems with their PD during stressful situations? My neuro has increased my Sinemet and is putting me on Requip because my PD is apparently worsening. My family has me so stressed out with drama and stupid things that I'm about to lose it. I have never had so many problems with tremors and I can barely walk anymore. Not to mention, I'm constantly freezing and dropping things and my mind is in scrambles as well. It was never this bad before. Long story short, I have 2 members of my family that are constantly at each other's throats and no matter what I say or do, I still end up getting involved somehow. (Against my wishes and usually unknowingly too.)
I hope things are better at your house for you. The last thing you need is stress. Keep your chin up and I'll be sending positive thoughts your way.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:59 AM   #9
(male)

sardisfishin HB User

My husband has Parkinson and he is now 62 yrs old. He take Carb/Levo 2 pills three X daily! He was taking the Mirapex ER Tabs but stopped taking them because he said they made him feel bad and tired after taking them. He has had parkinson's for about 4 years now or possibly longer. He seems to be having difficulty with constipation and bloating all the time when he eats just anything. He's never been a big eater so it's not like he is overloading himself on food.. We usually eat twice a day and small meals at that. He is also having difficulty breathing when it comes closer to taking his next dosage. Is anyone having any problems with this either themselves or with a loved one. It scares me to see him go through this. I am not a strong person when it comes to a loved one being sick or hurt. I don't know how to even get a grip on handling the situation. I'm afraid I will completely fall apart before my time. I don't have any health issues at all. I am healthy 57 yrs old and I have to be here for my husband no matter what it does to me I will be here for him. I don't care cause my life will be over if something ever happens to him. He is my rock and he is what keeps me going.. I hate this disease. dont' get me wrong, he get's up at 4am every morning and he goes to work. He is a manager and yes it's kinda stressful and he will be retiring next year. He is going to hang it up and do some fishing and relaxing before this disease take complete control of his body. We both know it will happen sooner or later. When No one knows that. Everyone progresses differently. But, we know what our future will bring and it isn't much HOPE on that part of it. I just have to face it and continue to be here and support and take care of the man I love with all my heart and soul and I would never leave him or have anyone else do it. I am here for him. He was here for me and my children and took care of us and now it's going to be my turn. I can do it I know I can just need some advice on all of this. It's all new to us and it seems to me the doctors you see just want to see you like twice a year and that's it. Never no doctor/patient relationship it seems anymore. its a rush rush situation in this world. to me that's what so many people are misdiagnosed because of the rush a doctor seems to be in. No one cares anymore do they.

Reply Reply