It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parkinson's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2012, 12:14 PM   #1
(female)

Txsmile HB User
Husband just diagnosed

Hi, my husband is 46 and was just diagnosed yesterday with PD. He works in the medical field (on the paper side) and is also a professional musician. Having the medical knowledge he does, coupled with the assertiveness of the diagnosis made him pretty freaked out. Today he started the Requip XL today for tremors and motor issues. I am very thankful I have found this forum. We don't have family anywhere close and only a very small and limited support group. Diagnoiss was a huge surprise to us. Still kind of dazed. I have been reading everything I can get my hands on. Thanks for your posts here.

Old 07-17-2012, 12:25 PM   #2
(male)

mpt1227 HB User
Re: Husband just diagnosed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txsmile View Post
Hi, my husband is 46 and was just diagnosed yesterday with PD. He works in the medical field (on the paper side) and is also a professional musician. Having the medical knowledge he does, coupled with the assertiveness of the diagnosis made him pretty freaked out. Today he started the Requip XL today for tremors and motor issues. I am very thankful I have found this forum. We don't have family anywhere close and only a very small and limited support group. Diagnoiss was a huge surprise to us. Still kind of dazed. I have been reading everything I can get my hands on. Thanks for your posts here.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2012, 12:27 PM   #3
(male)

mpt1227 HB User

I also was just diagnosed ..Male 51, can you tell me how they came up with his diagnosis. Read my post a few doen from yours(newly diagnosed...still not sure). any input would be great.. Thanks

Old 07-17-2012, 01:24 PM   #4
(female)

Txsmile HB User

Yes, well he has been having trouble with rigidity in his hand. Also tremors and his hip on the same side. A little balance problems when he stands up.

Had just been going to the doc for his hand. Went to one doc who ruled out carpal tunnel. He told us to go to a neurologist. Well, the neurologist we went to see had a lot of training in working with motor disorder specialization. He had my husband perform some back in office tests, asked a bunch of "system review" questions and made a bold and assertive diagnosis. My husband is also blind due to Leiber's Optic Atrophy, and apparently Parkinson's is just one of the many illnesses that can go wrong. He has an MRI scheduled for later in the week to determine if there is anything else going on, but an MRI cannot confirm PD.

How did they diagnose yours?

Old 07-23-2012, 09:54 PM   #5
(female)

katnben HB User

my husband to was recently diagnosed with atypical Parkinson's and it is a kick in the gut for sure. he is 57 and very active outdoorsy type. we are still in the numb phase. our prayers are with you and all diagnosed with this disease. I'm glad this groups here.

Reply Reply