It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parkinson's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012, 02:47 AM   #1
(female)

Andyck HB User
Parkinson's and video games

My husband was diagnosed with Parkinson's over two years ago. His symptoms are gait and cognitive issues. He has progressed from 25mg 3 times a day to 125 mgs 4 times a day, and it appears he will need to increase his dosage soon. My husband was a pilot, an avionics technician, a muscian, and an avid reader. Over the past 5 years I have watched him disappear into a person who has difficulty in walking, can't form sentences, and can't tell the difference in silverware. I know that Parkinson's is a progressive disease with no cure, but I just want to find something that will give him some joy and make his days worth living.

I've read and heard about video games that improve or help Parkinson's patients. Since my husband and I are older, I'm not knowledgeable on any of the gaming technology out there and I'm hoping someone will help me sort it out. I've heard that WII and XBox both have gaming programs that help with cognitive and physical issues. Do any of you have any experience or info?

Old 11-29-2012, 10:37 PM   #2
(female)

cejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB User
Re: Parkinson's and video games

I do not have experience with XBox or WII but my husband did express interest in the computer. Intentions were good but dexterity caused difficulties, as did hand/eye coordination along with remembering the process of actually getting going, I think that the experience could only be called an exercise in total frustration for him. In the past year he is comfortable watching sport on TV along with programmes that just 'feed without thought' but I am increasingly having to explain the news and lateral thinking has totally gone. My husband will still potter with things mechanical but this is becoming more difficult as he knows what he wants to do do but his hands won't cooperate and we do spend a bit of time looking for things that he has put down and can't find!! I try to get him out and about...again becoming more difficult but bringing joy is a hard ask and, like you, I would welcome any help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2012, 01:11 PM   #3
(male)

jhammer HB User

I have Parkinson's and play Call of Duty on my Xbox quite often. Not sure if it helps me out or not, but it sure is nice to have the wife believe it. LOL!

Old 12-01-2012, 07:07 PM   #4
(female)

cejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB User

Not often that I read something on this site that makes me laugh. Love it!

Old 12-02-2012, 09:22 PM   #5
(female)

Andyck HB User

Cejayb and jhammer - I have done additional research and found a company, Red Hill Studios, that is developing games for Parkinson's patients using XBox Kinect, and it has been very successfuI've done some additional research and found that Red Hill Studios, a software company in San Rafael California, has been working on developing therapy games l. I'm hoping their games are available for purchase by the public. Jhammer – as long as you can keep playing, more power to you!! I would give anything for my husband to be able to still play games. His cognitive functions are too slow for him to play most games.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:18 AM   #6
(male)

jhammer HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyck View Post
Cejayb and jhammer - I have done additional research and found a company, Red Hill Studios, that is developing games for Parkinson's patients using XBox Kinect, and it has been very successfuI've done some additional research and found that Red Hill Studios, a software company in San Rafael California, has been working on developing therapy games l. I'm hoping their games are available for purchase by the public. Jhammer – as long as you can keep playing, more power to you!! I would give anything for my husband to be able to still play games. His cognitive functions are too slow for him to play most games.
I'll be honest, I have noticed a good-sized decline in my win/loss ratio. It's more difficult than it used to be. Especially playing online because my reflexes are way slower than they used to be. But, I still enjoy it. Especially when I win.

Old 12-06-2012, 04:58 PM   #7
(female)

It is well worth Googling 'Parkinson's Wii' as a lot of positive research in this area is also being done in the UK and Australia.

Reply Reply