It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parkinson's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2013, 05:47 PM   #1
(male)

rjk01 HB User
PD and leg pain

Am 67 male, told I have PD Oct 2012.

Neurologist has me on SINEMET® (carbidopa-levodopa) and Selegiline.

Told to take the Sinemet 3x day and Selegiline 2x.

The sinemet seems to keep my legs from hurting. After about 6 hrs, they hurt. When taking the sinemet I take at 8 AM, 2 PM and again arount 8 PM. My legs are normal up to six hrs after taking the sinemet. That leaves from around 2 AM to 8 AM in all sorts of hurting legs. Walking around seems to help, but can not sleep.

on my own, i started taking an additional sinemet around 11PM-midnight, that way no leg pain from 2--8AM. Still have problems sleeping, but at least the legs seem normal.

see the neurologist Wed,

Old 06-19-2013, 08:16 AM   #2
(female)

doglady3 HB User
Re: PD and leg pain

I have pd also. I have been diagnoised for 5 years and I am a 67yr old female. I have also had the same problems with sleep problems and leg pain. My neurolgist tried several things.. I am now on 4 sinemet a day 2 amadine a day and 3 gabetin a day. I spread the doses out so that I have one dose for when I wake up at 2am I have a dose to take.

That has really helped.

Marie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2013, 05:51 PM   #3
(female)

cejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB User

My husband takes 3 x 100 sinemet through the day and a 200mg slow release sinemet at 10pm that gets him through the night. Could be worth asking about the slow release.

Old 09-12-2013, 07:53 PM   #4
(female)

movimans wife HB User

I also have PD, am female age 62, diagnosed 8yrs ago. I was having terrible leg cramps in the middle of the night until someone asked if I drank milk at night. I always had a glass of milk at bedtime. After stopping that routine I have had very few leg cramps. I also take Manganese for leg cramps that help tremendously. I was a hairdresser that stood on a cement floor for twenty years, so I have fallen arches also. I don't know any medical reason for the milk drinking related to leg cramps.

Old 10-25-2013, 03:00 PM   #5
(female)

SWinter HB User

I was wondering about your visit to your neurologist. Was he able to help you?

I have the same problem and don't know what to do. My doctor prescribed selegilene but it was like taking speed! It seems to me you're taking a lot of medication and high doses for a recent diagnosis, but who knows? Everyone seems to have different symptoms, different side effects, and different results.

Good luck!

Old 11-19-2013, 01:38 AM   #6
(female)

Andyck HB User

movimans wife - Did eliminating the milk at night help with your leg pain? My husband was using milk at night to help him get to sleep, but he has also been having problems with leg pains.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:42 AM   #7
(female)

movimans wife HB User

Yes it seems eliminating the milk at night helps. I still drink milk only earlier in the daytime. What has helped the most on the charley horses, is Magnesia Phos. I got it from a homeopathic place. Hyland's is the name of the company. I was getting cramps in the night in the calves of my legs, hamstring, ankle, toes. So bad I couldn't stand up. Three of these tablets under the tongue and the cramps just go away. I asked my regular dr. about these tablets. He said they were completely safe. They are given for menstrual cramps mostly, but they sure work on leg cramps
Hope this has helped.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:24 PM   #8
(female)

Andyck HB User

Thank you for your quick reply. I'll have my husband try adjusting when he drinks milk and get some Magnesia Phos for when he gets leg pains.

Reply Reply