It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Personality Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2002, 10:58 AM   #1

GingerL129 HB User
Question BPD vs Depression

I don't know which one I have. Anyways, I was wondering if anyone could tell me the difference in Borderline Personality Disorder and Depression. Does it go hand-in-hand or how does that work. I think I have one or the other, but I don't know. Does depression come and go too?

[This message has been edited by minerva (edited 11-08-2002).]

Old 11-09-2002, 06:35 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

blue cloud HB User
Smile

i have them both but not all people do have depression aswell.

for me my depression comes and goes as it pleases which raises the question is it depression or mood swings my dr has no idea but he thinks it is depression

it is so difficult to get a clear cut diagnosis as the symtoms vary person to person

what does your dr think?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2002, 05:42 AM   #3
(female)

laughitoff HB User
well, from my own personal experience, BPD and depression DEFINITELY do NOT always go hand in hand. a person CAN have both, but they are not related. My father is a BP, and i will tell you, it makes life hell. i was severely abused physically, psychologically and emotionally, and God only knows if i was abused sexually too. but he has learned about his disorder and is doing his very best to fix things. today he is an absolutely wonderful person. he has a great sense of humor and is amazingly intelligent. he has come so far in his progress. it is simply the problems and chaos that his disorder create that really affect everyone. he and my mother got divorced 2 years ago. i wish there were some way that i could give you some information about how to diagnose yourself, but i wouldn't want to tell you the wrong thing. here are some factors that might help you decide if you are BP. just think of what the answer is, and ask yourself if you are being honest.
Is the thing you fear most abandonment?
Do you feel like the only way to keep your loved ones from leaving you is to control them?
Do you try to mentally overpower them?
Do any of your loved ones tell you that they are even afraid of you sometimes? or that they fear to leave?
Do you and your loved ones have heated arguements on a daily basis?

Again, these are not professional opinions, and they don't necessarily apply to all that are BP. they are just some characteristics my father had during my childhood that i can immediately catagorize as BP.

ALL THE BEST!!!

Old 12-03-2002, 02:59 PM   #4

GingerL129 HB User
That was awesome advice. I feel the symptoms sometimes, but not nearly that strong. I'm usually just sad.

thanks again.

Closed Thread