It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Personality Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2006, 08:38 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
rosequartz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Chicago,IL
Posts: 10,351
rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User
Schizoid and Schizotypal Personality disorder

I've been reading about these 2 disorders, questioning if I may have one of them and wanted to get some opinions from anyone who may have some experience in either one of these areas. I seem to have some characteristics of both and scored fairly high in a couple online personality disorder quiz's. As far as Schizoid Personality disorder.....sometimes I like to be detached from social situations. I'm uncomfortable at social gatherings, parties, etc. I wondered if I have Avoidant Personality disorder, but they said the difference is with Avoidant, you want to included, you want to be part of the group, but you sit home out of fear of not being accepted. They said with Schizoid, you are perfectly content to sit home alone, not fearing acceptance....you would just RATHER be alone. I feel that way a lot. The other thing about schizoid....it says you show a narrow range of emotional expression in various social settings. That may fit, because I kinda withdraw sometimes.
As far as the Schizotypal personality disorder. It seems to say stuff about being superstisious, believing in metaphysical, etc, and I do.....I believe in astrology, healing crystals and gemstones, tarot cards, and other metaphysical things. I find a lot of truth in what I believe in. It's hard to think that would make me fall into the catagory of a personality disorder. Can anyone share some other insight, or symptoms?
Edited to say.....I haven't always felt this way. I believe that I used to be co-dependent. I never wanted to be alone. Now I love to be alone, and would rather not be bothered with people, even friends sometimes. I don't think I'm co-dependent anymore. Is Schzoid something that could develop externally, due to just being fed up with people and having too many bad experiences? Is this temporary or permanent? Is this something that could develop due to a bad relationship or emotional trauma? or is this something that starts at an early age due to internal factors?
Thanks!

Last edited by rosequartz; 04-16-2006 at 08:42 PM.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 04-17-2006, 02:07 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 310
SuchGreatHeight HB User
Re: Schizoid and Schizotypal Personality disorder

I have said this in your previous topic, but I want to make sure that you understand. You can not receive a diagnosis from an online test, or diagnose yourself properly on your own. I assume you have read the criteria for both, and are sure you know the symptoms. But even with that knowledge, you do not have information on all the possible outcomes or completely see the aspects of these disorders.

Before I go into my personal view, I have to say that even with your own knowledge, online tests and our opinions, if what you describe interferes with daily functioning, see a professional. Only there can you gat a proper and legal diagnosis, as well as options to help (i.e. medications, therapy, alternatives).

When it comes to Schizoid PD, you are right. Schizoids are known and categorized by not having a "desire" nor enjoys close relationships like Avoidants. As well, Schizoids tend to take little pleasure in activities or in other people. However, Schizoids do not have paranoid delusions and not categorized as having "odd beliefs".

When it comes to Schizotypal PD, little desire in social company is seen but goes beyond being "asocial". Paranoid delusions, odd beliefs, paranoid anxiety, and oddity in speech are included. What you describe though (superstition, believing in astrology, etc.), can be considered normal, unless it influences behavior or causes extensive preoccupation. However, if those aspects are excessive and inconsistent with subculture norms, it could be considered as magical thinking.

A professional can better describe to you what magical thinking and paranoid ideation consists of; what can be considered "normal" and what can be considered a symptom. You can have suspicion and enjoy astrology and tarot, but it may not be strong enough to be considered a disorder.

To make things even more confusing, a Schizoid Personality may have "eccentricities" that causes thoughts to look paranoid or "odd". But instead it being problematic or severe, it is just part of being the way you are; schizoid personality.

I'm going to try to answer all your questions here, so I don't go too far off from the answers you are trying to get .

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosequartz
Is Schzoid something that could develop externally, due to just being fed up with people and having too many bad experiences?
Actually, that is possible. Some people develop a Schizoid personality (style or disorder) as a coping mechanism because of trauma or downcast from others. But in this case, therapy is a better outcome in comparison to people who develop it naturally (although it helps for both); mostly in reasoning because "Schizoid" is acted like symptoms from an underlying problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosequartz
Is this temporary or permanent?
In reference to the above question, most likely, if you find that underlying problem you have a better chance of lessening schizoid symptoms. But if you develop Schizoid symptoms because it is just the way you tic, therapy can also help; but most likely you will have many of the symptoms for a long period of time (if symptoms are not in result of current reasoning, trauma, stress, etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosequartz
is this something that starts at an early age due to internal factors?
It is said it doesn't start until adolescents, in which the time is where a steady and independent personality is formed. The cause for both disorders are not known, but are seen as being set by both external and internal, or one of the other. It can really differentiate between people. Onset is also hard to pin point. Some people develop as a coping mechanism, others see it as natural.

Remember: try not to diagnose yourself or let the internet diagnose you. Many people can pin themselves into a disorder category but not fit the full criteria or have the severity to be affected with the actual disorder ("symptoms" being because of personality "style" and not disorder). My opinion is to see a doctor. Differentiating the two, or your symptoms with other disorders, can help you find the right treatment and outcome.

SGH

 
Old 04-17-2006, 02:17 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
rosequartz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Chicago,IL
Posts: 10,351
rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User
Re: Schizoid and Schizotypal Personality disorder

Thanks SGH
I'm not trying to "diagnose" myself. Just trying to educate myself and am running across some things that "sound familiar"
I don't really want to see a therapist. I don't want to get put on medicine. I already know I have OCD, and I deal with it. I've heard a lot of bad things about being medicated, and I really don't think it's a necessity for me.
Thanks for all your input!
_______________________________________
"However, if those aspects are excessive and inconsistent with subculture norms, it could be considered as magical thinking."

of course they are inconsistent with norms.....not sure what you mean by being inconsistent with SUBCULTURE norms.

 
Old 04-17-2006, 02:50 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 310
SuchGreatHeight HB User
Re: Schizoid and Schizotypal Personality disorder

second post deleted

Last edited by SuchGreatHeight; 04-17-2006 at 02:52 PM.

 
Old 04-17-2006, 02:51 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 310
SuchGreatHeight HB User
Re: Schizoid and Schizotypal Personality disorder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosequartz
I don't really want to see a therapist. I don't want to get put on medicine. I already know I have OCD, and I deal with it. I've heard a lot of bad things about being medicated, and I really don't think it's a necessity for me.
Medications, in my opinion, shouldn't be the first thing to consider. However, if difficulties are too hard to handle alone, and you wish to function better, medications can be a godsend. But considering you don't believe it is necessary, that is great. I'm glad you are not trying to diagnose yourself and are just curious. But I must ask, if this is the case, why are you trying to classify yourself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosequartz
of course they are inconsistent with norms.....not sure what you mean by being inconsistent with SUBCULTURE norms.
What I meant by "subculture norms" is normal superstitions from sub cultural aspects. For instance, Japanese culture believe that spirits from deceased ancestors visit their home certain times of the year. This belief, in Japan, would be a "subculture norm". In America, without the religious or ethnic belief, that could be considered as "paranoia" or "magical thinking".

With Tarot cards and Astrology, certain aspects of religion and society view it as normal; a "subculture norm".

SGH

 
Old 04-17-2006, 02:57 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
rosequartz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Chicago,IL
Posts: 10,351
rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User
Re: Schizoid and Schizotypal Personality disorder

SGH - well I seem to become involved with people that have personality disorders.......disorders of my past boyfriends have included, bi-polar, PTSD, narcissistic personality disorder, and the most recent borderline personality disorder. I find researching abnormal psychology very interesting, and seek to find out all I can (probably the OCD in me).
I just think.....how can I keep getting involved with people with personality disorders, and mental health problems? maybe there is something wrong with me? LOL
And honestely, lately, I've just been happier alone, and I started looking into why that is.....
I'm not really trying to label myself.....I just want to see if I fit into a particular catagory for my own info.....

 
Old 04-17-2006, 03:19 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 310
SuchGreatHeight HB User
Re: Schizoid and Schizotypal Personality disorder

I understand what you are saying. I love studying Abnormal Psychology, especially the information on specific disorders. I have a "single, repetitive" and "anankastic" personality, myself; which helps me get fixated on such things.

But I must say; it is one thing to study and one thing to compare your symptoms, but it is another to try to fit yourself in a category or worry about "what else you might have". I've done this in the past, and sometimes still to this day. So just remember that when enjoying your information .

I actually find myself attracted to "eccentric" and "odd" people; the ones who seem either over or under "the top". With this, they can usually fit the criteria for a certain (or even many) disorders.

SGH

 
Old 04-18-2006, 01:29 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
rosequartz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Chicago,IL
Posts: 10,351
rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User
Re: Schizoid and Schizotypal Personality disorder

SGH - You say you're attracted to eccentric people. Yes I understand that they could fall under the catagory of a multitude of personality disorders. Most of these people I was involved with weren't necessarily eccentric. I didn't see something "different" from the beginning. As the relationships developed, I discovered the disorders. That's why I strive to educate myself because I want to see this coming the next time.....not look at it in retrospect and go......"oh yeah"
do you have OCD also? I thought that may have something to do with the single, repetitive personality?
Thanks again for your input, I do appreciate it. Its good to know someone else is interested in this stuff too!

 
Old 05-16-2006, 04:17 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 468
strongernow HB User
Re: Schizoid and Schizotypal Personality disorder

I like to educate myself too because I am naturally drawn to people that are hyper and eccentric and artsy and fun loving but later usually figure out that those people are very selfish and narcissistic and bored to tears when it comes to engaging in a conversation and being curious about who I am. It is always about them. In college most of the people I've made as "friends" are like how I described above and even though it looks like they are having tons of fun and having the perfect upbeat life ...it is near impossible to get to know them because their guard or wall is up and it makes a true friendship near impossible or highly tedius and overwhelming for me- although on their perception they may find it to be totally comfortable but again for me it is an uphill battle. I personally find those artsy and fashionable people to be alluring and splendid but I guess I realize that they are not for me. And about me I am fashionable and health conscious and social but I think I am not seen for who I am because of their personality disorder traits.

Last edited by strongernow; 05-16-2006 at 04:20 PM.

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
RE: Schizotypal Personality Disorder sweetcheeks57 Family & Friends of the Mentally Ill 0 01-21-2009 04:31 PM
Schizotypal. sofanastic Schizophrenia 5 11-06-2008 06:37 PM
Schizotypal Personality Disorder akkolon Personality Disorder 4 07-21-2007 12:25 PM
Schizotypal PD should have been left as borderling schizophrenia halfreality71 Personality Disorder 3 04-07-2005 03:48 AM
personality disorder/schizoid type mushroom1997 Schizophrenia 6 01-06-2005 11:40 AM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added








TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



8800GTS (2), Leegh (2), ivy2002 (1), Dantheinsane (1), interum (1), Vocrinthedes (1), Iron76 (1), linc (1), workingthru (1), ladybud (1)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1180), MSJayhawk (1006), Apollo123 (906), Titchou (850), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (759), ladybud (755), midwest1 (669), sammy64 (668), BlueSkies14 (607)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:37 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!