It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Personality Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2006, 08:00 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

MendoMan101 HB User
Compulsive talking to self

Not sure this is much of a problem but im curious if anyone else talks to them self ALOT. I was raised an only child so i spent most of my time alone Without having anyone around to have a conversation with. Any time i am alone I instantly Have some kind of Scenario playing in my mind it can be something that actualy happened or something that has not happened. I will play the parts of the people in the scenario with different dialogues. And often refeer to myself as though i was somebody else talking about me. Lets pretend my name was Ben and some body else was named Tom, i would think in my mind that i am Toms character and say "Ben you prolly shouldnt drive this fast" or something like that. This is always external dialogue spoken outloud just as if there were other people in the room. I have asked some freinds of mine if they do this and they all say "thats crazy" I dont know, im not too worried about it but it is Compulsive and if im alone it never stops.

Old 01-03-2007, 01:59 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

plasva HB User
Re: Compulsive talking to self

Well.... I talk out loud to myself, too, probably on a daily basis. However it's never a repeat of something that actually happened. And I'm never someone besides myself. It's always a fantasy of some kind, usually that I am doing something really heroic and noble for people who I used to know, whose approval I wanted, and they finally see me for who I really am.
Or else I am talking out loud to my older brother (I made him up; I don't really have one) and telling him about things that happened in the past that I still have issues with.
Most of this talking takes place while I drive, take a shower, or am in my bedroom by myself.
I don't think the talking to yourself is a bad thing per say. Just make sure you're not using it as a way to not live in reality.
It might be a good idea to write down the most common themes and talk about them with a therapist or work on resolving the issues that cause you to repeat them.... now that I have made that suggestion, I guess I will need to be more concious of it and work on my issues!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2007, 03:49 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Dantheinsane HB User

I too talk to myself, daydream, while driving, working, even having sex.

I have OCD, with pure O, so I have intrusive thoughts and do a lot of ruminating. I rethink over and over again all situations of my life. I redue things in my mind to make them better. Nothing is ever good enough. I can ruminate things that have happened in my childhood all day for weeks even years.

Then as a release I switch over to the daydreaming. It is like I want give myself a break from the day in and day out rumination or the intrusive thoughts.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dantheinsane For This Useful Post:
always8 (03-26-2011)
Old 01-18-2007, 06:43 PM   #4
(female)

aldie HB User

I talk to myself also and I have OCD too.But I didn't know that OCD had something to do with talking to yurself.I have alot of thoughts in my head,and they are repititious.I am also an only child,and when I was little I fantasied that I had a little brother to play with,so I don't know what really started the talking to myself.

Old 01-26-2007, 02:19 PM   #5
(female)

CCROBIN HB User

I just stumbled across this thread. I wouldn't worry too much about talking to yourself. I have no BPD, or the other one (for all I know). However, I have spent a large portion of my adult life feeling alone or abandoned. Single mom, lack of energy, ostracized in early adulthood by other women... etc. etc. I think when you talk to yourself a lot. (and I do) it is just a product of going long periods of time without normal social interaction. I would venture to say that you talk to yourself, not because you have a disorder, but because the disorder makes you feel lonely sometimes. Talking to yourself (or myself) doesn't really take away the loneliness, but when your alone a lot, the natural tendency is to start doing things that are mildly socially unacceptable because there is no-one there to make you feel embarrassed about it. Make since??

Over the course of my previous loneliness, I developed the habit of talking out loud to myself in the car, taking walks, at the store or anywhere else I went. I no longer deal with feelings of loneliness, but I still talk to myself quite a lot and I do do things that are somewhat unacceptable in social situations. Not like flashing or anything crazy, but I laugh too loud sometimes, eat with my mouth open; or talk with my mouth full, I might forget to cover my nose when I sneeze. These are all habits I developed from being under socialized.

My boyfriend got on me recently for licking the bottom of an ice-cream bowl. I just didnít think. Luckily we were at home, but I just did it without any prior thought. I could have just as easily done that at a restaurant.

Don't think yourself abnormal for having quirks. I think everyone has them.

Old 03-03-2007, 08:05 AM   #6
(female)

Texanne HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MendoMan101 View Post
Not sure this is much of a problem but im curious if anyone else talks to them self ALOT. I was raised an only child so i spent most of my time alone Without having anyone around to have a conversation with. Any time i am alone I instantly Have some kind of Scenario playing in my mind it can be something that actualy happened or something that has not happened. I will play the parts of the people in the scenario with different dialogues. And often refeer to myself as though i was somebody else talking about me. Lets pretend my name was Ben and some body else was named Tom, i would think in my mind that i am Toms character and say "Ben you prolly shouldnt drive this fast" or something like that. This is always external dialogue spoken outloud just as if there were other people in the room. I have asked some freinds of mine if they do this and they all say "thats crazy" I dont know, im not too worried about it but it is Compulsive and if im alone it never stops.

Hey, I'm so glad to hear all of you talking about this; I have talked to myself in my head, and out loud (when alone) for as long as I can remember. I am probably the most mentally healthy person I know, but the only time that I didn't talk to myself was during a period of huge, high anxiety and underlying depression that happened a while back when my spouse's mother was diagnosed with cancer, and then died. There were a lot of things going on in my life; changes that were basically good, but out of my control, and so for about a year I was nervous wreck. For most of this time I lost my "thoughts", and I really missed them. Before this I used to sing out loud in the car at night, talk to myself in my head, and I rarely ever needed to have the radio or TV on because I enjoyed being with myself. I could tell when things begin to get better (with anti-anxiety meds and a short stint in counseling at a university) when I sang out loud on the way home one night, and started talking to myself.

I'm an intelligent person, I'm in grad school, and I've come to understand that this is just our thought process; a way of thinking things through without needing another person's advice. I suspect that if you could check the IQ of all the people who do this, they would all be above average!

That said, if they are bothersome voices, or telling you to do things that are not beneficial, I would have them checked out!

Old 04-29-2007, 08:05 AM   #7
(female)

rmz HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCROBIN View Post
I just stumbled across this thread. I wouldn't worry too much about talking to yourself. I have no BPD, or the other one (for all I know). However, I have spent a large portion of my adult life feeling alone or abandoned. Single mom, lack of energy, ostracized in early adulthood by other women... etc. etc. I think when you talk to yourself a lot. (and I do) it is just a product of going long periods of time without normal social interaction. I would venture to say that you talk to yourself, not because you have a disorder, but because the disorder makes you feel lonely sometimes. Talking to yourself (or myself) doesn't really take away the loneliness, but when your alone a lot, the natural tendency is to start doing things that are mildly socially unacceptable because there is no-one there to make you feel embarrassed about it. Make since??

Over the course of my previous loneliness, I developed the habit of talking out loud to myself in the car, taking walks, at the store or anywhere else I went. I no longer deal with feelings of loneliness, but I still talk to myself quite a lot and I do do things that are somewhat unacceptable in social situations. Not like flashing or anything crazy, but I laugh too loud sometimes, eat with my mouth open; or talk with my mouth full, I might forget to cover my nose when I sneeze. These are all habits I developed from being under socialized.

My boyfriend got on me recently for licking the bottom of an ice-cream bowl. I just didnít think. Luckily we were at home, but I just did it without any prior thought. I could have just as easily done that at a restaurant.

Old 04-29-2007, 08:12 AM   #8
(female)

rmz HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCROBIN View Post

Thank you so much for your reply. I was terribly lonely as a child right through to today. I lived with a high stress, frightening situation that did not allow me to have any friends during my development years.

I am under socialized. I say things that to me are just statements, but others are offended by.

My approach needs to change.

I do have BPD and OCD and I will be seeing my doctor for a major shift in medications, but I also need a good support group and a plan to de-stress myself. Find my triggers and learn a system of stopping my manic behavior and my talking out loud.

Your description was very supportive to me and I thank you.

RMZ

Old 04-29-2007, 08:15 AM   #9
(female)

rmz HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanne View Post
Hey, I'm so glad to hear all of you talking about this; I have talked to myself in my head, and out loud (when alone) for as long as I can remember. I am probably the most mentally healthy person I know, but the only time that I didn't talk to myself was during a period of huge, high anxiety and underlying depression that happened a while back when my spouse's mother was diagnosed with cancer, and then died. There were a lot of things going on in my life; changes that were basically good, but out of my control, and so for about a year I was nervous wreck. For most of this time I lost my "thoughts", and I really missed them. Before this I used to sing out loud in the car at night, talk to myself in my head, and I rarely ever needed to have the radio or TV on because I enjoyed being with myself. I could tell when things begin to get better (with anti-anxiety meds and a short stint in counseling at a university) when I sang out loud on the way home one night, and started talking to myself.

I'm an intelligent person, I'm in grad school, and I've come to understand that this is just our thought process; a way of thinking things through without needing another person's advice. I suspect that if you could check the IQ of all the people who do this, they would all be above average!

That said, if they are bothersome voices, or telling you to do things that are not beneficial, I would have them checked out!
Thank you for your feedback I do not feel so different. I know that I live under a great deal of stress and anxiety and this is probably part of my problem. I am lonely as well and will be setting a plan in place to put myself in social situations.

Old 05-13-2007, 08:36 PM   #10
(male)

Stallangrad HB User

Quote:
I am an only child aswell and I do the same thing. I recently visited my family doctor about this and explanned that i make up for lack of a abstract/ constructive personality. He say that its could be caused from a lack of stimulation as a child, hich for which turned into social paranoia. He sent a referal to pschologist, and i will be seeing him soon, hopefully. One word advise drugs and alcohol cant get you through this, i tried it make things worse. Your not alone my friend.

Old 05-13-2007, 08:39 PM   #11
(male)

Stallangrad HB User

Quote:
I am an only child aswell and I do the same thing. I recently visited my family doctor about this and explanned that i make up for lack of a abstract/ constructive personality by creating social situation in my head. He say that its could be caused from a lack of stimulation as a child, which turned into social paranoia for me anyways. He sent a referal to pschologist, and i will be seeing him soon, hopefully. One word advise drugs and alcohol cant get you through this, i tried it make things worse. Your not alone my friend.

Old 11-17-2007, 10:04 PM   #12
(female)

bellame HB User

Hello All ,I just want to say thank you from the bottom of my heart this issue has caused me shame .I thought that I was odd I have been so Embarrassed by this I haven't even shared it with my therapist of 2 years. I am seeing a new one and plan on telling her .I was shocked to read the specific mention of a dialogue because that's what I do !!Mostly when I'm lonely Like many I had a lonely child hood as well as a isolated late teen AND adult life .I'm currently training myself to no longer do this today was a good day I only slipped once for 7 seconds but I caught myself I get through it by evaluating what just happened that I wanted to have this talk .It keeps me in the now and that's where I need to be .As scary as it is I need to be in the now I have been doing this for years and I know it will take a lot of work The part that is really helping me is the fact that I don't feel so much shame .I know I'm not alone now I actually registered my account on here so I can Tell You all THANK YOU !!!

thanks so much!

Old 11-17-2007, 10:13 PM   #13
(female)

bellame HB User

Thank You So Much for posting this You really impacted me I don't feel so ashamed .Sometimes People don't see the difference in just talking to your self and an actual dialogue you have with your self .Its scary I thought I was completely crazy but I had a very lonely childhood and I was very isolated in my adult life so talking to myself served as a great distraction plus it made me feel like I wasn't so lonely because the people in my dialogue were with me .I'm training myself to deal with this and so far so good I stop myself and figure out what just happened that I felt like I needed to start this conversation it's usually stress,sadness and loneliness. I evaluate my feelings at that moment before i go into the conversation That way I'm in the now and i figure out what triggered me to do this. Its been a big help i slip for for 4 seconds and then i evaluate .It's tough because i have been doing it so long BUT I know i can do it .I have seen great results so far in such a short time .

I just wanted to thank you so much for your post .It meant a lot to me I'm not alone now .

Last edited by bellame; 11-17-2007 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Spelling

Closed Thread