It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Personality Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2007, 06:52 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

stevie_23 HB Userstevie_23 HB User
Binging/Addictive/Compulsive Behaviour

Well, Iím not sure where to put this, but I seem to have a totally addictive/compulsive personality.

It seems that itís always something that Iím going out of control with. A while ago it was money and shopping. Ever since I was about 19 Iíve had bouts of compulsive spending where I can spend thousands in weeks, and know what Iím doing and feel sick and guilty as Iím doing it, but canít seem to stop myself. These tend to come every few months or so, and in between Iím pretty quiet and reserved, shopping-wise.

Right now Iím not in a shopping binge, but I am eating so much junk foodÖI quit smoking 2 years ago and for the 6 months following I gorged myself on food and put on almost 20 pounds. I then took control (for the first time in my life. Iíve always been naturally thin with a fast metabolism so never had to lose weight or even think about it before this) and lost the weight in the next 6 months, and itís not risen much again yet, but I can feel myself completely slipping into hyper-indulgence mode with food. I leave the house with good intentions to only eat sushi and water and Subway and stuff, but then I go to have lunch and somehow end up thinking, ďI want McDonalds. Screw it! Iím having it!Ē (and often chocolate and donuts as well) *sigh* I have NO willpower at all right now it seems.

Why must there always be something Iím binging on/addicted to, so to speak? Why canít I just be normal and balanced? I feel like Iím completely out of control with whichever my current binge focus usÖand I know most people are like this to an extent, but with me itís just really destructive. I literally spend so much money when I spend, and I eat so much crap, or I smoked incessantly for years and could very well start again at any point I fearÖ*sigh*

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2007, 08:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB User
Re: Binging/Addictive/Compulsive Behaviour

I know how you feel. I don't believe it anymore when i recover from one thing, because then i just jump to another addiction. I quit drinking for about the 10th time, stopped smoking for about the 10th time, and now am bingeing on sugar big time. I gained 9 lbs. in less than 2 weeks. It is part of borderline, i have read. I finally am seeing that recovery is a lifetime deal and if I am not careful I will relapse. I always thought, oh i have this beat. and then take it for granted and then relapse. I forget the pain. I am in aa and oa and when i go and work the program, it makes a huge difference.

Old 07-25-2007, 10:06 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

stevie_23 HB Userstevie_23 HB User

Wow...maybe I have borderline then? I never thought of that...sometimes I try not to look too deeply into the actual disorders cause I may indulge myself and think that I have one even if I don't.

Old 08-16-2007, 09:10 PM   #4
(female)

melly3407 HB User

I was recently diagnosed with bordeline an bipolar 2 and to say the least I have had an addictive behavior all my life. It is how we cope with the pain, no matter how long ago or how recent. I have gone through times where I am fine and then out of no where(it seems) It starts again.

I signed up for a dialectical behavior therapy group and it is supposed to teach us how to retrain the way we think. how to deal with our pain head on with out addiction, compulsion, and binge. You may want to look in to it.

Closed Thread