It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Personality Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2007, 08:01 AM   #1
(male)

Confused 1 HB User
Talking Cyclical mood disorder

There are many types of cyclical mood disorders. My P doctor said I have a type of one. He says he treats symptoms,,,,, I told him my symptoms and, he gave me lamictal. He says it will make me feel better. My mood swings are effecting me, and my family, I get agitated at the littlest things sometimes. Why????,,,I don't know. I cool off , and then I am good. I am quick to react to things, very impulsive.

I hope this helps me out. I am just starting 50mg of lamictal a day from 25mg a day, not at full dose yet.

I got so mad last night, trying to put together chairs. So stupid! When I was finished, I was calmed down. I hope this med helps me not to react so quick to things.

My P. dr. says this med is great. He said with my symptoms, hopefully this med. will work great for me.

I let you guys know....

Last edited by Confused 1; 10-15-2007 at 01:26 PM.

Old 10-15-2007, 01:29 PM   #2
(male)

Confused 1 HB User
Re: Cyclical mood disorder

I have been on 50mg. now for 2 days. I started on 25mg. Not really feeling any different though. I still get mad at the littelest things, or things I should not get mad at. When I do get mad, oh the words that come out of my mouth.....would make a salior cry.

I hope this med. works for me,,,,

Last edited by Confused 1; 10-15-2007 at 01:31 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2007, 03:27 PM   #3
(male)

Confused 1 HB User
Question Re: Cyclical mood disorder--Any good books to read on this

Cyclical mood disorder--Any good books to read on this

Old 10-16-2007, 09:07 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Pri Lily HB User

Can you give us more details on your symptoms?

Not getting a very clear picture of the problem

Thanks

Lil

Old 10-18-2007, 10:43 AM   #5
(male)

Confused 1 HB User

I am having a mood problem. I get agitated sometimes, it takes me a bit to cool down and then I am fine. I have been on 2 types of depression meds, they did nothing. My wife said the Effexxor showed a difference. I don't 100% agree. My Dr. tried me on Adderall, nothing. He just gave me LAMICTAL.

My mood swings are affecting me, and my family, I get agitated at the littlest things sometime. Why????,,,I don't know sometime. I cool off , and then I am good. I am quick to react. If something happens, I jump on it, yelling, arguing, and so on. I calm down, and I regret what I said, and for yelling.

If I can't get something right, I get agitated. Someone in my life does something wrong, little or big, I get aggravated and can't let it go. Someone says something to me, I could take it wrong, and be ******. After a bit I cool off.

I worry a lot and self confidence at home real low. I ask my wife a lot if she loves me, and so on. She hates that. Or I ask her what’s wrong all the time.

Things around the house or sometime at work have to be done a certain way. I can try to control things at home, but not so much at work.

I know I have some OCD issues too.

Also, I see someone doing something wrong (in my eyes) I get so agitated , I say to myself, don't say anything,,,,,but I have to!, and usually starts an argument with me and my wife, or kids. I hate this! I wish I did not do this. All these things I have said, they all are uncontrollable.

Old 10-18-2007, 07:56 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Pri Lily HB User

Can you tell me a little bit about your childhood?

Some of the things you are describing could be insecurity, but, they could also be symptoms of other things as well.

Lil

Old 10-19-2007, 04:54 AM   #7
(male)

Confused 1 HB User

Childhood....I had a good childhood. I grew up in a small town. Mom and Dad (living together) loved me very much. I never got their full approval on anything though. Today, I still today ask for their input on things, on stuff that's none of their business. Not personal things or family things, but little things,,,,I don't do it as much, because my wife gets so mad. I realize now why. I feel I always need someones approval.

At work, I am totally different. I am middle mgt. and I take care of business. No jokes, no pranks, I have moved up the ladder in the work place. Why so different?

Thanks

Last edited by Confused 1; 10-19-2007 at 05:08 AM.

Old 10-19-2007, 08:50 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Pri Lily HB User

All I can say tonight, is that you have control issues....everything is fine at work, because you are controlling it.

Not so much at home, because you can't control other people...they have a mind of their own.

You never will be able to control anyone else.....start there.

Lil

Old 10-22-2007, 11:04 AM   #9
(male)

Confused 1 HB User

Yes, I know I have control issues. I also have fault and blame issues. I am always finding fault in something or someone, mainly my 15y.o. daughter. I am always on her case about something. Always correcting her. I don't know why, I love her very much. I catch myself acting this way to my yougest daughter too. I am sure it is because this is the way I was treated when I was growing up. So I am doing it to my kids for some stupid reason. I wish I could stop. Why can't I. I am a horrible person for this. I get irritated so easy sometime with my oldest, why? My PDoc says this medicen, Lamictal will help me. I hope so. I am also taking clonazepam, it is only .5mg though. I find this calms me down a bit. I need something to kind of, "take the edge off". So I won't be such a jerk sometime. This is really effecting my family, I feel as though I am on my last leg. My wife says she can't put up with it.

Any suggestions? Does it sound like I have some type of Cyclical mood disorder? The PDoc says there are many types. I tell him my syptoms, he thinks that medication can help. I want things I my family to be better.

Thanks

Last edited by Confused 1; 10-24-2007 at 01:33 PM.

Old 10-25-2007, 11:07 AM   #10
(male)

Confused 1 HB User

Lamictal, Will this help me?

In the afternoon, I get so anxious, got to do everything now, now, now! The Pdoc says that is where the clonazepam comes in.

Any thoughts?

Old 10-25-2007, 08:51 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Pri Lily HB User

The Lamictal, and clonazepam will help.....

But you need to deal with your issues, too. Everything has to be now, now, now, because that's how you were brought up.

I used to get really upset, if I phoned someone, with an important issue, and they didn't phone me back right away. Would get so anxious, I would nearly jump out of my skin. When they did phone back...I would blast them for taking so long.

I learned, that things are going to happen in their own time, and that getting anxious about them, was only hurting me. I now make a phone call, and go about my business. I don't sit and wait.

You can stop treating your kids the way you do.....treat them the way you wish you had been treated as a kid. Be patient with them.....

Last but not least, you are not a horrible person. You need to change a few things, and you can do that......not a horrible person, though.....

Let us know....

Lil

Old 10-27-2007, 07:26 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

marshmallow HB User

Confused have you read anything on bipolar? That is a cyclical mood disorder. My husband was bp and bpd. He also got angry and raged over the smallest thing. I would read up on it and see if you have any other signs of it.
Some doctors do not want to get hung up on the lables and just go with treating the symptoms.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:04 PM   #13
(male)

Confused 1 HB User

I have read a bit on BP. I might be, I really don't know. I know I have something wrong. I know my moods are not normal.

I am up to 100mg on Lamictal, so far so good.

I could see myself as a "lite" BP, if that is such. But, my Pdoc will not put a "name" on it. He always says a Cyclical mood disorder.

Thanks,

I will keep you updated.

Old 10-30-2007, 05:06 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

marshmallow HB User

You have made the biggest step of all in admitting you know something is wrong and you need help. Taking meds is a big step and one to be proud of. My husband would never admit he needed help yet his actions showed he did. Yes, keep us posted.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:07 AM   #15
(male)

Confused 1 HB User

Hi,
I have been on 100mg for about a week now. I think it is helping me with my moods a bit now. I am not on the full dose yet, 200mg. I don't know what others would say about my moods. One thing though, I am still so paranoid about things. I hope to get over that. My wife and I have our issues as all husband and wives do, but I am paranoid on issues with her, always looking for reassurance. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Closed Thread