It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Personality Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2008, 08:59 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

maybecrazy HB User
Is there a cure for BPD?

After getting PTSD i saw a psycholoigist - the third one was the one i found that helped me! -I am still going through PTSD have a pat o sexual abuse as a child, and have self injured after geting PTSD - My psychologist said he thinks i have Bpd - because i self harmed - distanced my self from everything - shut down my feelings and detached from what was going on - so my question is - is there a cure? or is it something that you just have to find ways of dealing with it - my psych is in hospital so i can't ask him and i don't want to ask anyone else - its a trust thing

thanks

MBC

Old 09-10-2008, 09:53 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User
Re: Is there a cure for BPD?

I don't know if cure is the right word but BPD is treatable. A lot of people have shown incredible improvement with DBT (Dialectical behavioral therapy). It takes a lot of time and it takes a lot of work. Having to basically analyze every thought that goes through your brain to make sure that you are responding properly and in a healthy way instead of trying to protect your false self image is a neat trick but it is possible.

take care
trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2008, 12:34 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

maybecrazy HB User

thanks for your reply trg247, please forgive me but i have to ask a really dumb question, how do you know if your self image is false?

MBC

Old 09-11-2008, 08:55 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User

It is build under perception and not reality. It takes constant feedback from others to keep this very unstable self image maintained. You realize, well I realized, that everything I did was to maintain a certain image but under closer view I realized none of it was real but basically a series of lies to maintain a level of safety in my life. My parents wanted a perfect child so that is the mask that I wore and eventually it consumed all areas of my life. I became what I thought people wanted me to be and it was all a series of masks. I learned that rage would keep people from attacking my very fragile mask and I learned through manipulation I could get the responses that I was looking for and the feedback needed to supply my false self image (for the longest time I just thought this was who I was). Nothing was real, every time someone would say something I looked first at how it affected my self image real or not. When I realized I was doing this it was basically like pulling out the bottom block and everything came tumbling down. Very few parts of my self image were real but most were just a series of masks and lies.
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Old 09-12-2008, 05:37 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

maybecrazy HB User

that's scary, because i see myself reflected in a lot of it - being the quiet "good" child that did as she was told and didn't cause waves was my mask - before I was attacked i was "miss perfect" i always did what others wanted and it was just one of my many masks - I kept people away be not lettng anyone get close enough to see it was just a mask -I shut down my emotions and I built a fantasy that my workmates were my family - and that everything in my life was good and as it should be - after i was attacked i realised (after some therapy) that it was all a lie, and it all came crashing down - they were not my family - my job had become my life - I was my job - and now that that mask was taken from me - i had nothng - my reality was based on lies and dreams - then i foudn out that my mother knew about the abuse that was going on in my family - so even that was a lie - now i am trying to deal with reality as it is.......not an easy thing but im trying

Take care MBC

Old 09-15-2008, 03:24 AM   #6
(female)

waratah HB User

Hi MBC,

I read your post on possible 'borderline personality disorder'.

So the psychologist rekons you may have BPD!

Ok - well now go and see a psychiatrist, and see if this is in fact the case. I'm not trying to play devils advocate, but sometimes a lose word here or there by a health professional can cause untold worry and concern for their clients.

Please try to not stress about the BPD label, it's had some really bad publicityover past years, but more recently increased research into this condition has worked toward more clearly defining the disorder and uncovering and dispelling many of the stimatising myths of BPD.

If you'd like to read some earlier posts on the personality disorder board, there's one I've been posting on regarding some good reading material on BPD, Get informed, that way no one can bully you with the big bad label, cause you'll know more than them about your very own condition - whatever that turns out to be? here's the link.

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=627269&page=2[/url]

regards, waratah

Old 09-15-2008, 04:43 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

maybecrazy HB User

Hi Waratah,

will look up the info - have already looked on the net and it upset me more than anything else - but hey - reality is what it is! Sometimes I think people just want ot put a label on us to make it easier for them - i don't think that's so with my psychologist.... but who really knows what someone is thinking.

i think we are all complex people and that most of us don't fit into any one label (I hate that word -but it is just a word)

Took me a long time to admit to having ptsd - so not good at accepting things until i have fully researched them and it settles in my head and makes sense ......... or not!

As to seeing a psychiatrist......... not ready for that - took me a long time and a lot of internal struggling to see a psychologist - am not one for trusting - and a psychiatrist......... I don't know - I saw the psychologist without a referral from my dr so it's not on my med records - to see a psychiatrist i would need a referral (not a prob cos my dr wanted to send me to one) but then it's on my record - don't know - anyway - thanks for the info i will look it up - maybe it's another piece of my puzzle - who knows

Take care MBC

Old 11-23-2008, 11:07 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

maybecrazy HB User

thankyou

Maybecrazy

Old 11-23-2008, 11:10 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

maybecrazy HB User

HI NOTSONUTSO, I am sorry that you had to go through so much and glad that you have found something that helped you - I think im still going through the tunnell but thankyou for showing me that there can be a light at the end MBC

Maybecrazy

Old 11-26-2008, 11:32 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

maybecrazy HB User

you made me smile - thanks (and I'll watch out for those trains- pesky critters!)

Maybecrazy

Closed Thread