It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Personality Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2009, 05:23 PM   #1
(female)

tatonnement HB User
Exclamation Borderline personality disorder

today i got diagnosed with this.

the doctor told me that the therapy he thinks is best is called Dialectical behavioral therapy, i tried reading about it but it's still complicated to me. the question i have is, has anyone undergone this therapy and is it a lot of work? i've never been in any formal therapy and i'm against medication use so i'm pretty nervous about this but need it pretty badly. this is the only thing that has made sense to me, i haven't been able to get my life together for a really long time and i want to be able to do this.

any help or advice, experiences, etc. would be greatly appreciated! thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2009, 06:10 PM   #2
(male)

winnertakesital HB User
Re: Borderline personality disorder

Just wondering if you'd like to talk. I suspect that I have BPD also and would like someone to discuss experiences with.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2009, 01:23 PM   #3
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

Hi there,
First of all BPD is not ususally treated with medications, however, sometimes a person who has the disorder may have depression that is treated with medication, or anxiety that meds are given.
I am very familar with DBT as well. I feel the exat same way. It seems confusing to me too. My therapist gave me a packet explaining to me about it. I'm unsure if i will start the progam yet. It is in anther city 45 min away . With other people I do not know . What I have heard about it is that it is for self harmers and it is suppse to teach new ways of dealing with strong emotions instead of Self injury or other bad coping skills. That is all that i have gathered so far.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:40 PM   #4
(female)

Torbiting HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatonnement View Post
today i got diagnosed with this.

the doctor told me that the therapy he thinks is best is called Dialectical behavioral therapy, i tried reading about it but it's still complicated to me. the question i have is, has anyone undergone this therapy and is it a lot of work? i've never been in any formal therapy and i'm against medication use so i'm pretty nervous about this but need it pretty badly. this is the only thing that has made sense to me, i haven't been able to get my life together for a really long time and i want to be able to do this.

any help or advice, experiences, etc. would be greatly appreciated! thank you.
Hi,
I started DBT a mont ago. I never have had BPD. Many people in DBT do, it seems, but sometimes it is not the proper diagnosis. Why do they suppose you have BPD? Sometimes people assume you have it if you have a symptom like self-harm. That was how it was in my case. I am trying DBT because I am at the end of my rope! It seems to be very good at helping with some issues. If you are against meds. it is likely to be your best bet. I do think that meds. are something that can be helpful, even if in the short run, but its good to be careful. I know I need help with meds. right now. Things are a complete mess for me in just about every way I can think of. I have tried everything over the last 13 years. This is different, even then inpatient treatment programs I have been to for many of my issues. I have been around the country for treatments for my problems & the other programs did not help once I got out.
Best of Luck!
K.

Old 04-08-2009, 02:01 PM   #5
(female)

Torbiting HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscat40 View Post
Hi there,
First of all BPD is not ususally treated with medications, however, sometimes a person who has the disorder may have depression that is treated with medication, or anxiety that meds are given.
I am very familar with DBT as well. I feel the exat same way. It seems confusing to me too. My therapist gave me a packet explaining to me about it. I'm unsure if i will start the progam yet. It is in anther city 45 min away . With other people I do not know . What I have heard about it is that it is for self harmers and it is suppse to teach new ways of dealing with strong emotions instead of Self injury or other bad coping skills. That is all that i have gathered so far.
The info. I was given on DBT seemed vague until I entered the program a month ago & now bits & pieces are coming together, but its hard when fatigued, depressed & anxious. Its different than I thought it would be, as I knew so little about it. Its my only option, right now. I think it is very difficult, but if I will be able to apply myself will be better than other things I have tried. Its easier said than done! DBT seems to require that I do the things that scare me the most or resist doing what has made me feel better for the short term. It teaches a method of thinking in a class setting, but you also have individual therapy. I noticed that one is held very accountable & the focus is on the present & doing rather than talking about the past. They don't want you to be avoidant, as that is supposed to reinforce fear & avoidance. The program teaches that you change things by doing & acting & the thinking/feeling part follows, much like CBT, but on a more intense level. What resourse did you consult for your info., as maybe there are better resources? It does seem that people in DBT have anxiety or anger problems or have suicide or self harm issues. I struggle with additional issues, so I chose a therapist within the program that had experience in my area. I still don't know how it will turn out & I am very scared. It does challenge you, which is for certain! One good feature if you do have suicidal issues in the DBT I am in is that you can reach someone 24/7 if you need help with that. They made me commit to the year long program. They want you to be there for it & that is a priority! Its hard to imagine anything helping right now & esp. hard to think that changing my thinking is possible & or will help. For me, being willing to surrender or go all the way is hard, esp. with new physical problems. I thought I was ready to get better, but there are ways I feel I have to hold on to some of my disorders. If you are all willing I think it is something to look into. Is there something in particular you needed the program to treat? I have an eating disorder as a primary issue, if that helps clarify what I wrote.

Old 04-08-2009, 02:10 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

It sounds like a great therapy...it isn't that complicated. It just teaches you a different way of processing information with positive ways of handling information. There isn't much out there for Borderlines so if you can get into therapy go for it. Like any therapy you have to be committed to changing your way of dealing with everything.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:50 PM   #7
(male)

joerubberguy HB User

Help, just left a beautiful successful woman who clearly has BPD- 90% of the symptons. It has been a month, I am still obssessed with her. Wondering what she is doing- who she is with? The first 3 months were like getting sucked into a jet turbine engine. I thought this has got to be a dream come true...then the cling stage stopped and we headed into the hater stage, always my fault, I need therapy. Why I am hoping she will call- text- email? I think of her 24?7

Last edited by joerubberguy; 05-08-2009 at 12:51 PM. Reason: typo

Old 05-09-2009, 02:03 PM   #8
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

People who have BPD have Black and Whit thinking. They will love you or hate you. Right now your girlfriend hates you. You are on her **** list! She may or may not call you. There is nothing you can do about it right now. Take care of yourself. See what happens, if she calls you, and that is what you want, then that is great however, your going to have to decide for yourself, if this is what you want to put yourself through. Because chances are very high that the G/F will do this again to you, if she is in fact BPD> This is a deeply ingrained personality disorder , meaning she is not going to change her behaviors overnight. No matter how much your going to want her to, and no matter how much you fall hard for her. It is your decision though.
I have BPD, and Clinical Depression. RIght now, I've given up on relationships all together/people to me suck> in general there more of a bother then more then they are worth.
I've been given the diagnoses BPD many, many times throughout the years I've lost count. But, what is more important then that is getting into therapy. If there are other stuff besides BPD, such as Depression , then meds can help. Impulsive behaviors are common in people with BPD, Anxiety, and somtimes meds can help with the symtoms of BPD, but by no means a cure.
THerapy + meds are what is suggested. Self harming, or Suicide attempts, gestures are very common with BPD , as well>
Cathy

Closed Thread