It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Personality Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2009, 04:10 PM   #1
(female)

Siber HB User
Possible Avoidant Personality Disorder?

I have been struggling with depression for over two years, but have been struggling with social anxiety for most of my life. Earlier this year I started taking Pexeva (similar to Paxil) and it seems to help... a bit.

I still have these periods where, perhaps a week at a time, I am in this depressed mood. I eat very, very little. All I want to do it sleep and be left alone in my room.

Socially I feel more comfortable, perhaps because of the medication, but still get anxious around people. My days are filled with staying away from people to avoid conversation/interaction (I did not go to prom or my senior trip because I would rather not be bothered, and always work on my own with school projects even if a partner is allowed), but also feeling lonely and wishing to be close to someone as a friend or other wise. It's a odd combination, and perhaps others cannot understand it.

I have no close friends- I only talk to people at school and on the net. I've never been in a relationship with anyone (I'm only 18 though). I feel lonely, wish I had someone close to me, am terrified that I never will, and use imaginary relationships to cope with my feelings. I seem to be constantly worried and think about how I appear to others.

Despite my wishes to be social, I rather stay away from people. Either because I just don't feel like being bothered, or because I fear they see me as annoying.

Recently I came across an article on personality disorders and the description of one seemed to be scarily similar to me- Avoidant Personality Disorder (AvPD). I looked for more on AvPD, and continued to find more similarities.

I am getting mixed feelings. I feel slight relief that there are others that are so similar to me. But I feel scared and horribly bothered because the description of this disorder is so close to how I, as well as something I read: "about 20–40% of the people who have a social phobia (social anxiety disorder)." the chances of me having this personality disorder seem great.

But in no way am I saying I have this disorder for sure. Obviously, only a professional can do this. If I gather the courage, I may tell my psychiatrist that I found some similarities with AvPD and see what happens from there. I am also supposed to see a counselor or psychologist about my problems as well, though I'm not sure which ones.

I guess I'm just looking for any comments someone might have. So, any replies will be appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2009, 11:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

light the world HB User
Re: Possible Avoidant Personality Disorder?

Hi I have social anxiety disorder as well. I questioned avpd for myself but its very hard to notice the differences between the social phobia and the personality disorder. I remember when I asked my pdoc whether I had it. He said it was possible but he would only make a diagnosis if I was still avoiding social situations even after the CBT and if I found a good medication for anxiety. I hope that once my anxiety starts to go away that I will find it easier to engage in social situations.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:32 PM   #3
(male)

Workster HB User

Hi Siber I understand where you are coming from because I think I have AvPD too along with several other things.I am older than you by being 28 and am a guy but if you would like to email me than you can reach me at * email address removed by hb-mod, moderator *
I feel at times so much alone that I don't know how I can go on in life, so it's weird to have something though that means I do whatever it takes to avoid having friends and social situations.Things seem extremely hopeless for me but I have learned to take being like this.At least have parents that I live with who help and I love them.I'd really like to hear from you to see if we could have a friendship as part of our future.Take care.

Last edited by hb-mod; 06-03-2009 at 03:35 AM. Reason: Please don't post contact info, such as email address, or commercial websites, per Posting Policy.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:14 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siber View Post
I have been struggling with depression for over two years, but have been struggling with social anxiety for most of my life. Earlier this year I started taking Pexeva (similar to Paxil) and it seems to help... a bit.

I still have these periods where, perhaps a week at a time, I am in this depressed mood. I eat very, very little. All I want to do it sleep and be left alone in my room.

Socially I feel more comfortable, perhaps because of the medication, but still get anxious around people. My days are filled with staying away from people to avoid conversation/interaction (I did not go to prom or my senior trip because I would rather not be bothered, and always work on my own with school projects even if a partner is allowed), but also feeling lonely and wishing to be close to someone as a friend or other wise. It's a odd combination, and perhaps others cannot understand it.

I have no close friends- I only talk to people at school and on the net. I've never been in a relationship with anyone (I'm only 18 though). I feel lonely, wish I had someone close to me, am terrified that I never will, and use imaginary relationships to cope with my feelings. I seem to be constantly worried and think about how I appear to others.

Despite my wishes to be social, I rather stay away from people. Either because I just don't feel like being bothered, or because I fear they see me as annoying.

Recently I came across an article on personality disorders and the description of one seemed to be scarily similar to me- Avoidant Personality Disorder (AvPD). I looked for more on AvPD, and continued to find more similarities.

I am getting mixed feelings. I feel slight relief that there are others that are so similar to me. But I feel scared and horribly bothered because the description of this disorder is so close to how I, as well as something I read: "about 20–40% of the people who have a social phobia (social anxiety disorder)." the chances of me having this personality disorder seem great.

But in no way am I saying I have this disorder for sure. Obviously, only a professional can do this. If I gather the courage, I may tell my psychiatrist that I found some similarities with AvPD and see what happens from there. I am also supposed to see a counselor or psychologist about my problems as well, though I'm not sure which ones.

I guess I'm just looking for any comments someone might have. So, any replies will be appreciated!
I am not a psychiatrist, but it's possible you could have GAD (Generalized Anxiety Disorder) given the fact that you feel alone when you aren't around others.

Usually people who have APD (Avoidant Personality Disorder) choose not to be around others and do not feel guilty or give second thought to feeling the way they do.

If this is bothersome to you and something you are curious about, I suggest discussing this further with your psychiatrist.

At the very least he can tell you one way or the other whether or not he suspects you have APD.
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Last edited by dreams in neon; 06-03-2009 at 05:16 AM.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:15 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

light the world HB User

When you say siber that you can talk to people at school and on the net then I don't think it would be avpd. People with avpd would completly avoid people from school, maybe even people online as well. I think that its just social phobia in my opinion but I'm not a psychiatrist so I can't tell you for sure.

Both people who have social phobia or have avpd can feel lonely. They are both just too afraid to engage in social interaction which makes them lonely.

Meds: Clonazepam 4mg, Seroquel 200mg

Old 06-03-2009, 06:02 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User

To the OP: If you would like clarification on what APD is, I would recommend doing an Internet search for more information, printing this out and sharing it with your pdoc.
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Old 06-04-2009, 10:18 AM   #7
(female)

Siber HB User

Thank you all for your responses. I appreciate them!
Workster: Thank you for your friendliness and sincerity. I would PM/e-mail you, but it appears that I cannot!

I have done some research on AvPD, and while I hope it is nothing aside from my social anxiety problems which I am working on, the description of AvPD is scarily similar to what I am experiencing.

Those with AvPD do indeed feel lonely and can be preoccupied with the thought that they are socially "inadequate".

From * link to commercial website, and copy of information from that website, removed by hb-mod, moderator *

Last edited by hb-mod; 06-04-2009 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Please don't post links and/or instructions regarding commercial websites as per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:19 PM   #8
(female)

Siber HB User

Sorry about that.

Closed Thread