It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Personality Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2010, 07:19 PM   #1
(female)

AnotherDayDone HB User
BPD Treatment DBT?

Has anyone gone through Dialectical behavior therapy for borderline personality disorder? Does it help?

I see a therapist and a psychiatrist and am on quite a few meds but I haven't improved really. I feel like 5 different people. I do and say things I forget minutes later. I can go back and read the message I wrote and seriously think it wasn't me. I have a hard time having relationships, think everyone wants to hurt me or talks about me, uncontrollable emotions, anger, depression, get overwhelmed when presented with too much at once, major anxiety...I totally shut down. I prefer to do things I know the outcome to, I can't do anything without having all the answers ahead of time. I'm suicidal some times but don't have the energy to actually do anything about it luckily. I don't see greys, you either love me or hate me. I either love you or hate you. I love and hate the same people depending on "mood". I have started to be able to recognize the personalities, can't stop them but I sometimes can say to people I got to back off I'm having a bad spell. My personalities range from loving to indifferent to hate.

I have many addictions and have been abused my whole life, I have an eating disorder to boot. I'm 36. I know this will be a lifelong battle but I just need to know there is some hope. Only 1 place offers this type of therapy in my state!

I'm sick of hiding me and hating everyone and not being able to remember things or control myself. Its very depressing not to have control.

TIA!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2010, 01:48 PM   #2
(female)

AmVan HB User
Re: BPD Treatment DBT?

I'm in DBT and find it very helpful. It's a bit of work in the beginning but worth every bit of it. From what I understand, not many therapist are trained in this. If you're able to obtain it I definately would, IMO, recomend it. Hope this helps.

Old 04-10-2010, 05:59 PM   #3
(female)

AnotherDayDone HB User

Thank you. Yes that does help. I don't know anyone who admits they have BPD never mind go to therapy. I only found out by researching and bouth the workbook which I'm afraid of!

Old 04-13-2010, 06:31 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User

The fact that you are posting about getting help for BPD is an amazing step which a high number of people with this specific disorder will never take. The hardest part when it comes to beginning the therapy process is realizing that a number of your thoughts and actions is to maintain this self created ego so when you are able to determine that the thought or action is real it goes a long way to overcoming this disorder. Chances are someone without BPD is not going to understand what I said but hopefully you will.
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Old 04-14-2010, 01:00 PM   #5
(female)

AnotherDayDone HB User

Yes I get what your saying about the ego. But I don't remember a lot of the stuff I say and do. It's crazy to read afterwards messages I have sent.

Do you feel like your 5 or more different people? Do you have some that are sweet and loving and some that hate everyone and everything? I'm just not getting how to control it or get rid of it. The meds do not help at all.

I was diagnosed and then just nothing but meds. My therapist just doesn't seem to get what I'm saying. He's busy working on my self love and addictions. I'm someone else when I'm there and most times I don't remember what we said or did while I'm there or I'm so good at pulling the convo off-track not much gets done.

Just sick of it!! Want to be normal. Of course how can I be normal when I was never? I have to create a normal version of me somehow.

Old 04-14-2010, 07:10 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Basically it is like starting all over again but this time the learning curve is much faster. I put in what I called a buffer which is I would always wait ten seconds after someone said or did something so it gives my brain time to determine whether my response was real and not a programmed BPD thing. It took a lot of effort but now I find myself making the right calls that fit the situation and not just to serve my needs. The last six months or so I have been relearning emotions which is a neat trick but it needs to be done.

There are periods of BPD rage that I could not tell you what I said a few minutes after the confrontation yet years later it would all come back pretty much word for word and even though it was not a nice memory to deal with it showed me what others seen when I lost control.

BPD is very difficult to completely understand and treat due to a million of different factors but more and more research is being done and now a model of therapy seems to be more complete than it was in the past.

Changing BPS is all about the person who has it for if this person does not want to change there is absolutely no chance that any change will take place more so than any other disorder out there. take care

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Old 04-23-2010, 10:43 PM   #7
(female)

snork34 HB User

I completely understand what you are going through. I, myself, had many failed relationship and don't understand why I failed at the most simple and basic necessity of life. I am in DBT -- I have to practice everyday and be mindful of my actions. Like you, I tend to forget things sometimes. I am not under any medications yet but I am contemplating it. I have my bad days and my good days -- today was a bad day but I am proud at myself that I was able to control it and recognize that this is one of many episodes.....of my disease. I decided to be active in fighting this disease by joining health board so I could get some support when I need some like right now....

Old 04-24-2010, 11:09 AM   #8
(female)

AmVan HB User

I didn't know there was a workbook out for it. What''s the name of it and who wrote it? Someone said it was hard to understand. Yes, it definately is. It makes it really hard for me to work with because I don't understand where my behavior is so bad. It's so hard. It's embarrasing when I do see inapproiate behavior and it takes a lot of courage to act 'right' when I'm used to being all over the place.

I'm schizoaffective and have dissociative disorders too and honestly I wonder which is the worse to deal with. Having derealization and depersonalization is really hard. I wish there was a thread for that. But this is really good, too.

Anyway, the post here are very helpful. I'll read it daily.

Old 04-24-2010, 11:13 AM   #9
(female)

AmVan HB User

Oh yea, Anotherdaydone -- I find it real scary to read about it, too!

Old 04-25-2010, 06:47 AM   #10
(female)

AnotherDayDone HB User

Snork34, good for you for being able to keep it under control. That is certainly an accomplishment! I'm starting to be a little more mindful but I'm so over medicated I have no idea from minute to minute what's going on. Can not focus!

I say a Psychiatric Nurse at our local Mental Health hospital and they are putting me in an outpatient programs for the next 6 months. The 1st 2 weeks are all day Mon-Fri then it tapers to 1-2 days or evenings a week. It's all women so I'm actually very interested to see how this DBT thing works and if I can do it!

Old 04-25-2010, 06:56 AM   #11
(female)

AnotherDayDone HB User

AmVan,

The workbook is "The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Workbook" by Matthew McKay, Ph.D; Jeffrey C Wood, Psy.D; Jeffrey Brantley, MD

I've been on the 1st exercise for 6 months now. I just can't do it alone. I think my PsyD finally got me on enough meds to make me lethargic...that'll all be readjusted when I enter this outpatient program....they keep the somewhat functioning people out they said because we get very intense therapy this way. I'm excited about finally getting some hardcore help by people who have been treating psychiatric issues and substance abuse for over 160 years and is 1 of the top 10 in the USA. I'm really relying on them for help here. I feel like this is the last chance for me. If they let me down I don't know what will happen, ya know?

I'm curious as to why those moments have come back in full...that's interesting.

Maybe you should suggest some new threads!

How long have you been Dx?

Old 04-25-2010, 09:33 AM   #12
(female)

AmVan HB User

Snork34, The group sounds really good. Getting feedback from others would help in better understanding the disorder. I'm beginning to feel like I'm standing in a pile of rubble, not knowing what to do but atleast that's progress as to where I was before this thread was started.

Trig247, you sound really knowlegable about it. How long have you been in treatment? I'm thinking you just have a lot of insight into it. I don't believe treatment's been around too long. I've been in it about a year.

AnotherDayDone, I find it takes a lot of motivation to work this theraphy, I would probably have trouble with the book too. Thanks for the book name. Did you say you're not in theraphy yet? I was thinking about opening a thread about what our DBT is like so we can see if it's the same program and if we're all on the same page. Or maybe we can just do that here. I'd like to open a thread on depersonalization (the dissociative disorders) but that is a different topic and I don't know if it would fly. I can try and see if there's others out there with it. The disorder has only just been recogonized!

Anyway, this thread is very helpful for me. I'm trying to let it sink in deep. I think I know what trg247 means about reflecting back on moments from years ago. It's a strange sort of mental clarity, if we're talking about the same thing.

Old 04-25-2010, 11:17 AM   #13
(female)

AnotherDayDone HB User

My treatment was supposed to start this Thursday but as usual when I try to do anything for myself, some obstacle appears so I'm hoping they have room the following week.

I'd love to discuss the treatment and see if we can help each other, share tips etc....

I need to look into this depersonalization thing. I guess you could ask a mod maybe?

Old 04-25-2010, 11:55 AM   #14
(female)

AmVan HB User

What's a mod? Moderator? Sounds good.

Old 04-25-2010, 05:57 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

Trig247, you sound really knowlegable about it. How long have you been in treatment? I'm thinking you just have a lot of insight into it. I don't believe treatment's been around too long. I've been in it about a year.

I have never actually received treatment for BPD as DBT is not offered where I live. DBT has been around for at least five years and probably longer the problem seems to be is that a lot of therapist, doctors and what have you are not trained in this type of therapy. I was diagnosed with BPD almost six years ago and most of the change I have had to do on my own, matter of putting the pieces of the puzzle together

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Closed Thread