It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Personality Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2010, 05:55 AM   #1
(male)

vada1123 HB User
sociopath

i seem to have all the traits of a sociopath but one. i feel ,for lack of a better term, rage. a deep rage against people. when i do people wrong i could not care less.but when they cross me i takes tremendous will power not to hurt them.so big question what could be wrong with me?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2010, 02:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

maltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB User
Re: sociopath

I am not a doctor, but I can tell you that I have a grandson who is sociopathic. I urge you to find a good psychiatrist or therapist as soon as possible. Be open and honest with the dr. so you can get the help you need as well as a good diagnosis.

Keep in mind that sometimes a person has to visit several psychs before finding one that they are comfortable with. Your rage against people is something that you must get help for....even if you have to go to an emergency room

Best of luck to you..

Carol

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2010, 12:54 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Vada,

Thank goodness you are seeking help for yourself. You would be amazed to find out how much the proper diagnosis and treatment can do, to both understand what is going on, and how to fix it.

The only thing that doesn't look make it look sociopathic is your initiating some help for yourself. My sister is a true sociopath, at 53 years of age, and has never even acknowledged that she is sick. She is still deep in denial.

The best step in recovery is the first one, and no matter what your diagnosis is, there has never been so much help available.

Please get yourself in for a psychiatric evaluation, and remember that there is no shame in getting help, in fact it is the surest sign of strength.

Until you can make that happen, you might want to join an anger management group. This could be so helpful in learning ways to live with your anger, how to recognize the triggers that bring the rage on, etc.

Please keep in touch, I am interested in your story. Be well.

Old 08-17-2010, 02:14 AM   #4
(male)

vada1123 HB User

I am not looking for help for me.I could not care less. My wife and kids think different so to get them off my back for now i promised to see what i could find out.

Old 08-17-2010, 06:37 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Wow...Your wife and your children are right, you do need to take a good look at yourself. Whether you are a sociopath or Cinderella, no matter. It is what you bring to the table. If you are exposing the ones you are supposed to be protecting to your horrible (yet manageable) illness, whatever it may be...shame on you.

Denial is such a great way to ruin people lives, you owe your children and their mother way more.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:49 PM   #6
(male)

vada1123 HB User

my wife and my kids mother are not the same person. but that is another story

Old 08-18-2010, 02:18 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

amyd HB Useramyd HB Useramyd HB Useramyd HB Useramyd HB Useramyd HB User

Sociopath -- or -- Psychopath? Just reading what you have briefly wrote, you seem to strike me more as a Psychopath, due to your rage and intense behavior without empathy or remorse.
Sociopaths apparently have normal temperaments.
There are actually soooo many different mental conditions, you may actually have a combination.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:48 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

I wish you well.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:39 AM   #9
(female)

charlynn HB User
Talking Re: sociopath

Quote:
Originally Posted by amygdala View Post
Sociopath -- or -- Psychopath? Just reading what you have briefly wrote, you seem to strike me more as a Psychopath, due to your rage and intense behavior without empathy or remorse.
Sociopaths apparently have normal temperaments.
There are actually soooo many different mental conditions, you may actually have a combination.
Actually, psychopath is an old fashioned term for the current term of sociopath. The diagnostic and statistical manual felt it better described someone who is without a conscience and incapable of empathy. A conscience enables one to feel guilt and without guilt and a set of morals it is, i guess, easier to fall into hurting others.
Rage is a feature of many personality disorders and I am guessing since the original post mentions a wife and kids, that he is perhaps a narcissist. Many sociopaths are loners and don't need family. Narcissists need a family and they actually nurse a fragile ego behind this massive false ego that boasts and brags and feels superior to everyone. Rage is more the feature of this personality disorder than a sociopathic one, in my thinking.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:43 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by vada1123 View Post
I am not looking for help for me.I could not care less. My wife and kids think different so to get them off my back for now i promised to see what i could find out.

so what is your next step? You can't do something for someone else, you have to do it for yourself! That goes for anything......losing weight, eating healthy, stopping smoking, and even getting help for a mental health concern.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:30 AM   #11
(female)

ww1989 HB User

There is an excellent book to read, "The Sociopath Next Door" by Martha Stout. It might clarify a lot questions about certain people in our lives.... or perhaps when we look in the mirror at ourselves.
Bipolar II (2010) Lamotrigine 300mg

Old 09-17-2010, 04:26 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Toonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB User

vada - You may very well be a sociopath/psychopath. They sometimes have rage. Sociopaths do experience some primary emotions like anger, but do not have the capacity to experience more complex and secondary or tertiary emotions like guilt or shame or remorse. Having a rage problem does not exclude you from having a psychopathic personality. BTW - they are basically the same thing, it just depends what lens you are looking through.

Now, if you are a sociopath, a pschyiatrist won't do you much good, unfortunately. There is not really any type of treatment for psychopathy. You may be able to get treatment that helps you manage your anger and your impulse control, though. This will probably be something that would help you greatly in your life. I would seek out anger management treatment and get a good mental health diagnosis.

By the way, do you have a history of breaking the law, rules, regulation, etc? Do you tend to learn from punishments you receive from doing the wrong thing, or do you just do them over again and don't seem to learn from your mistakes?

Closed Thread