It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Personality Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2010, 05:06 AM   #1
(female)

mjpd HB User
Question I am hiding and don't know how to exit my shell

I am a diagnosed Borderline Personality and lately I am finding it difficult to stop disassociating myself from the present and into my own world.... anyone know how to stop and live in the current moment.

I feel like I am hiding but I prefer my own space and company. I think this is letting others think I am inconsiderate and selfish.

I can't explain it to my husband and he is feeling rejected by me and yet he is the love of my life and I don't blame him for my disorder but he gets to a point he cannot understand nor does he like the fact that I isolate myself from him and my children.

Sometimes I am very mute and communication is difficult. I cannot expect my children to understand either.

How does one find more acceptable terms of living with this disorder. I have a psychosis as well in this respect. Can behavioural changes be made? or do I accept that this is my life?????????

Old 08-23-2010, 05:10 AM   #2
(female)

mjpd HB User
Question Differential diagnosis BPD and OCD

Can one be diagnosed with Borderline Personality and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder simultaneously?

I have been but what is the differences. I thought BPD does incorporate OCD. Why two different diagnosis'?

I am slightly confused.

Any answers to my question, please?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2010, 01:06 PM   #3
(female)

PAYNE HB User
Re: I am hiding and don't know how to exit my shell

I would definitely seek out a program called Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT). It was designed specifically to help borderlines and now is being used for other disorders. It involves meeting in group therapy, going through a book by Marsha Linehan. (I think I'm spelling her name right.) One thing it does is provide a list of things to do to try to stay in the present moment. (You can order the book, also. But it's not something you can just do really well on your own.)

I was diagnosed with borderline personality disorder, probably a milder version than some people have. I was considered "high functioning." At any rate, I went through two treatment programs of DBT and three years of therapy. My last two therapists and my current psychiatrist say that they see no signs of bpd in me now.

Are you really motivated to get help? Then call the local mental health people to find out who is doing this or talk to your therapist. It takes a great deal of work--but it can help.

Old 02-12-2011, 04:18 AM   #4
(male)

Iron76 HB User
Re: I am hiding and don't know how to exit my shell

In some regards, those who have BPD morph their daily lives into an OCD-like mania to feel some control over their ever so fluctuating emotions. If you make the choice to change, YOU can. It takes work and a trusting relationship with your Counselor. A book that may help you understand more is: Borderline Personality Disorder Demystified by Robert O. Friedel, who is a pioneer on the subject. This book has helped me greatly.

Fire / Medic

Living without additives.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Iron76; 02-12-2011 at 04:19 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Iron76 For This Useful Post:
mjpd (02-14-2011)
Closed Thread