It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Personality Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2011, 11:48 AM   #1
(female)

Quiteterrified HB User
Does BPD really have to be a life sentence?

Hi,
I am a 28yr old, single mum to two adorable kids. (age 4 and 6) I was neglected as a child and 3 days ago i recieved the diagnosis that i have BPD and now i'm terrified. 99% of the information i have read seems to condemn BPD sufferers, especially in the way of being a parent. @ the minute it very much wish i'd never been diagnosed. I have, over the years, managed to control my outbursts when around other people, including my children although i could never manage it with partners. I tell my kids every day that i love them, but the statics scare me and due to the nature of the disorder, i am now questioning whether i am deluding myself in regards to my kids so far. I am currently studying to become a psychtherapist myself and dont know if this will impede my success. I have so many questions, no answers and no one i trust enough to confide in. Is there anyone out there that has some positive advice or information?? Please!

Old 09-23-2011, 02:48 PM   #2
(female)

pb252 HB User
Re: Does BPD really have to be a life sentence?

I don't believe it is a life sentence. Do you take any medications to help with moods and such? If not you should try. I have found that they really help me. I have a 5 month old and I love her more than anything. I believe I am already a great mother.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2011, 05:18 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Go do some research on Bessel Van der Kolk and his work with abused and neglected kids. If you ask him, most hit with the BPD diagnosis, actually have CPTSD from their childhoods and if treated for CPTSD, then the symptoms of BPD amazingly go away.

I firmly believe that BPD was just a diagnosis developed when they couldn't explain the effects of child abuse on their adult patients. I was one of those who went from borderline psychosis to borderline personality disorder to severe Chronic PTSD from significant child abuse to eventually, DID from the same source. In short form...I went from blame it on me to blame it on them.....yes, some parents really do abuse and do hide it...carefully.

Find a therapist who works with PTSD and do your research...you'll find the symptoms of PTSD from chronic child abuse to be identical....except you can successfully treat PTSD and make all those borderline symptoms go away. I did.

Good luck..........Jenny

Old 10-23-2011, 07:45 AM   #4
(female)

clobs HB User

Hi I am a mum of 4 children the eldest being almost 18 and I have a wonderful relationship with them all. I have BPD and found it to be a very harsh diagnosis but if you work through it , it doesnt mean all doom and gloom find yourself a support group look at how dbt works as I found it very useful for me as it can help you get through the dark times. I also use it with my children as I find it is basic life skills once I could identify how I was feeling and was able to use distress tactics when life seemed bleak it helped big hug from me but it really isnt all bad

Closed Thread