It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2003, 04:31 AM   #1

trent21 HB User
Social Phobia

Hi all,
Im 13 and 14 in a month and ever since i was about 12 i have had such a fear of being embaressed, like i have always been shy but it has gotten out of hand, i cannot talk on the phone the fear of me thinking about being embarest just freezes me, i can talk to say my mum and dad, but anyone else and i just die of embaresment even thinking about it, say if im walking down the street i will be so scared someone will start a conversation with me, the only place i feel safe is my room. My mum and dad no about this, a year ago i started home schooling due to it. I have seen like a phiciatrist and a phycoligist, even hypno therapy(i was hypnotised and i think it would of worked if i had of gone back, but i was to scared(embarest to) I take dexamphetamine to because my doctor who is a pediatrition diagnosed me with it when i was 11, i dont think i have it and i think he knows that too, but he still seems too prescribe the dexamphetamine sulphate 5 mg. He tells me and my mum that social phobia is hard to treat but thier has been great succes with drugs. He prescribed me fluoxitine, citramilopram, and such both have not worked, so he is going to prescribe another, he is great really nice guy and very well known in australia for his work. He understands and tells me and my mum that we can beat this. I hope he is right, i just want to get rid of it, i want to meet a girl at the moment i am not even near saying hello to a girl. The only people i can talk without embaresment is my sister, my mum and dad, i even get nervous when seeing the doc. I hope Dr.Whiting is right, Anyone else have any stories of succes or such...?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2003, 11:19 AM   #2
Inactive

mouse62 HB User
Re: Social Phobia

When I was 30, Prozac (for awhile) really knocked the social anxiety out of me. However, now, at 40, I deal with it by years of practicing basic social skills. I also take Xanax for anxiety, but I do not recommend that at your age.

Old 11-25-2003, 02:48 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

Hi
you may do better with a new doctor, xanax or other valium type meds help a lot with social anxiety and have no severe side effects

books on overcoming social phobia, shyness and agoraphobia have useful advice

do you have panic attacks?

Old 11-26-2003, 01:28 PM   #4

Saul HB User

I'm new on here and in the middle of a cognitive behavioral therapt or CBT program and it helps a lot. The book that got me going is based on CBT and an easy book to read called Been there,done that? Do This! by Sam Obitz and there are plenty of others on CBT and I urge you to check one or two out at your library.

Saul

Old 11-27-2003, 03:16 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

Janik HB User

Actually, doctors who prescribe AD's or tranquilisers to children are doing so "off label", since there are no clinical trials to proove either that they are effective or harmless. I'd follow Sauls advice ant try CBT instead. It is very effective.

Last edited by Janik; 11-27-2003 at 03:16 PM.

Old 11-30-2003, 03:36 PM   #6

Intensity HB User

Did you happen to read this kids entire post before you decided to accuse him of being a statistic? If you go back and actually read it his problem goes FAR beyond shyness. I think it's incredibly insulting to discredit someone's problem like that! Sure there may be people who are needlessly medicated, but that obviously isn't the case here. Do everyone a favor and REAd BEFORE YOU REPLY!

Trent - I'm, not sure what the initial problem is that you're being medicated for, but in my personal experience unrelated medications have made anxiety hundreds of times worse. Be good to yourself and get a second opinion.

I know you're terribly embarassed, but think about this.... Everyone has been embarrassed before. Sometimes it's terrible ESPECIALLY when you're younger, but as you get older you'll find that it actually becomes something to laugh at the majority of the time. Only Jesus walked on water my friend so don't be embarrassed. NOBODY is perfect!

Quote:
Originally Posted by isolated one
Doesn't anyone wonder if the ages of 13 or 14 are too young to be taking drugs? Since I don't know you, I can't say that you don't have a problem which needs some kind of treatment. However, I have to also point out that shyness is a very common problem among those your age. I just hope that you're not another statistic of those who are being "over-diagnosed" for no other reason than drug company profits. These drugs are virtually being handed out like candy to millions of children under the premise of such conditions as ADHD. Just because a drug is prescribed doesn't make it harmless. Maybe more people should gain knowledge of just what they're taking before they take it. The reality isn't as pretty as the picture being painted. What's convenient isn't always what's best.

Old 12-01-2003, 11:56 PM   #7

artixulaet HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intensity
Did you happen to read this kids entire post before you decided to accuse him of being a statistic? If you go back and actually read it his problem goes FAR beyond shyness. I think it's incredibly insulting to discredit someone's problem like that! Sure there may be people who are needlessly medicated, but that obviously isn't the case here. Do everyone a favor and REAd BEFORE YOU REPLY!

Trent - I'm, not sure what the initial problem is that you're being medicated for, but in my personal experience unrelated medications have made anxiety hundreds of times worse. Be good to yourself and get a second opinion.

I know you're terribly embarassed, but think about this.... Everyone has been embarrassed before. Sometimes it's terrible ESPECIALLY when you're younger, but as you get older you'll find that it actually becomes something to laugh at the majority of the time. Only Jesus walked on water my friend so don't be embarrassed. NOBODY is perfect!

Hello, I think that it takes a lot of courage to admit to yourself you have this problem. I remember being shy mostly through middle school and high school. It really hurt my social life, particularly when it came to making friends and dating. Shyness sucks. It restricts what you can do, where you can go, and you find that it will take over your life quick. When I went up a spoke to a girl, my palms would start sweating and I would think so much about myself, that I wasn't thinking what to say to the girl or react. I was "living in my head." Merely speaking to a member of the opposite sex was extremely awkward and uncomfortable for me. Unsuprisingly, my dating life was nonexistent. Currently, I am working on these problems with my psychologist and psychiatrist. If you look around, you see that a lot of kids are self-medicating/experimenting with different drugs and alcohol. So realize that you are not the only ones who has this condition, lots of kids choose not to reveal weaknesses because of the fear of "seeming weird" or "different." And the ones who seem the most confident and cool might need to smoke a pack of cigarettes, take a couple of vicodin pills and a vodka shot just to relax. I recommend that you take a trip to your local library and check out a couple of good self-help books about shyness and assertiveness. Once you find your self-confidence increasing, you will start to careless what people think about you and how they react to your behavior. You will be living a life to meet your own goals and not please other people. There are a lot of resources out there, if you invest a little time you will find that the results will pay off handsomely. Good luck in conquering the shyness beast!

Old 12-04-2003, 01:10 PM   #8

lanemeyer HB User

man, dont go on medication at your age...
id definitely try and read up a few books..

when i was in my late teens i had really long hair that covered my face....one day i had it completely shaved off and i could not stop getting embarrased for months ..
it was as if id been hiding behind my hair all the years

i would go red at the thought of getting embarrased and make people think i was guilty of things i wasnt!!,,,,it was awful...

Walk proud...act confident....infact...Screw everyone...your the only one that matters...think in your head..."look at me"....

Knowledge can give you great confidence..so please read up on anxiety and social phobias....and then re read it again!..til the behavoiural steps are ingrained in your thought pattern.

Closed Thread